Jump to content
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Mattgonewild

First purchase from UK. Should I be dissapointed?

Recommended Posts

Hello there guys :) SO finally got my first carp rod ever. I bought it from ,,total fish tackle'', and it was my first ever purchase from abroad. It's one of the cheap rods - Shimano tribal TX2. It looks really solid for the money, but i couldn't notice that one of the ring was out of shape. They say buy, cheap buy twice :) One of my fellas made a laugh that guys from the ups service played soccer with it :) So I've contacted the shop customer service and they've replayed me:

,,Hi, I can see that this is slightly out of shape. However the rings can with slight force bend back straight without causing any damage. If you could try easing it back straight, that would be great.''

Am I overreacting or this is just ridiculous? I know the damage is minimum, I wasn't even considering sending it back, but they've proposed me to fix it myself without any assurance of success. What do you guys think? 

28000098_2015217141851840_1485026584_o.jpg

28033267_2015217255185162_1390239030_o.jpg

28035183_2015217188518502_1361473836_o.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This quite frankly shocks me! I use total fishing tackle all the time and recommend them on here quite often, I have never had customer service as you have described it......it’s always been outstanding. 

They should have offered to replace in my opinion and claimed off the courier as the package will have been insured against damage

the only possible reason I can think of that they would have advised that is the time and effort it would take you to return it (risking further damage) then prosesing the return and then sending another rod to you (unable to guarantee that damage wouldn’t occur a second time) either way far from what I have experienced with them and far from what I would expect. 

 

Out of interest have you tried to re align it? 

Edited by spr1985

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sorry mate I can’t annswer that.. it’s a combination of how long it takes you to send it back + how long the courier takes to return it to tft + how long it takes them to process the return + how long it takes them to send another one out ( only after all of the above has happened) + how long it takes the courier to get it to you 

hope that makes sense

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yea it makes, but yesterday I've read that once a customer asked for a replacement. The total tackle shop replayed that they will first need to send the rod to the manufacturers and the inspection can last 6-8 weeks :D

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I’ve not heard that before......although the response that you received would push me towards thinking it’s a regular occurrence when shipping rods.

the sending it back to manufacturer I would asume is when breakage occurs in use not in transit 

what was the packaging like? 

Also after having worked for a couriers in the past and seeing how some parcels are treated It doesn’t surprise me that things get damaged! I now as a matter of course ask for expensive/bigger tackle items to be marked as fragile by the supplier

Edited by spr1985

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ouch!

The normal process in going to a tackle shop (actually any shop), if you are not happy with a purchase, is go back and they will offer to replace or refund, preferably with the receipt.

 

On broken or damaged tackle under guarantee, the shop usually replaces straight from their own stock and gets replacement or credit from the manufacturer. If the damage is not obvious, or 'debatable', the shop will return the item to manufacturer for inspection, who then decide if it is a warranty issue, whether the damage is down to customer misuse, transport or carriage. This is where it can get messy; if you went into the tackle shop, there is usually no argument. However when goods have been posted or sent via carrier, and received damaged, you have to show it was not your fault, show it was down to incorrect packaging, carrier damage etc

In this case, it could be that the rod being able to slide up and down the tube has bent the rod ring out of alignment. You need to write a full report of how it was packed, showing the packing, how the rod ring is out of position. 

You then have to return it to the tackle shop, making sure you get a receipt for this, as the shop should also refund your carriage, and claim their cost back from the delivery company.

Obviously you are not happy, the rod was not received in acceptable condition. The shop should replace on receiving it on return to them. They may however send it to the manufacturer for opinion on how the damage was caused, which you don't particularly want as it is time waiting for the replacement, ir even return of the original.

 

You should not attempt to bend the rod ring back, unless you are happy to keep it. 

 

Personally, I would not faff around going backwards and forwards, slightly bent ring, finger pressure back to position. This will totally invalidate any guarantee or warranty, even if it breaks at a later date.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, salokcinnodrog said:

Personally, I would not faff around going backwards and forwards, slightly bent ring, finger pressure back to position. This will totally invalidate any guarantee or warranty, even if it breaks at a later date.

 

Same. It will make no odds if you don't bend it back. It won't have any noticeable effect on your fishing as it's only very slight. For all the hassle and expense to ship it back to the UK and then wait for a replacement it just isn't worth it. Use it like that. If you want to rectify it then be very gentle and bend it back to where it should be.

Ive bent the rings on my rods back when I've been silly enough to somehow bend them. Just be very careful and do it slowly. Too quick and you'll snap the hard casing on the legs or worse, bend it too far. Try bend it back and it'll come loose or snap. I have one rod with a ring on the top section that's bent forward, I've left it. Why? It doesn't reduce my casting range, it doesn't impede me playing fish. No problem to leave it like it is. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

One of my recent purchases from an eBay dealer, of somd brand new Nash dwarfs, one had a bent eye. Much worse than yours. To be honest it was less ag to fix it than send it back. It looked as good as new within a few minutes. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Dannygooner said:

One of my recent purchases from an eBay dealer, of somd brand new Nash dwarfs, one had a bent eye. Much worse than yours. To be honest it was less ag to fix it than send it back. It looked as good as new within a few minutes. 

Yep.

I honestly can't see the problem. Certainly not one big enough to send rods back. This could have happened to any rod, not just cheaper ones. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Out of interest has anyone had this with any other companies? I use angling direct for pretty much everything. Last year I had 6 rods from them and everyone rod had some bent eyes and 2 of the rods had a slight curve/bend in the top section. Just wondering if its the way the rods are stored at their end? The rods weren't that expensive, but buying new you expect it to be in a good condition.. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, smufter said:

If I sit my 3 rods on my pod and take the time and effort to line them up "perfectly" I can guarantee that one or more of the rings amongst the 18 on display will not be perfectly straight or in line with all the others. I can live with it.

:shock:

Don't tell anyone but I have a different top section on one of my rods because they didn't have the spare for my sk3 so I have an sk3 XTR top section. Lady at sonik said only difference is it's double legged rings not single. Can you imagine the hardships of putting them all next to each other and the odd rod! Pretty sure it's shorter by half a  cm too! 

In all seriousness, if you'd bought a century or free spirit then I'd probably be asking for a replacement. Cheaper rods, I'd not care. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I snapped the top eye and about 2" of the rod from one of my Chub Outkasts. My own stupidity, not a fault of the rod.

I could have had it repaired, but instead ordered a new top section from Chub. I have been using it now for the past 3 years. I cannot notice any difference whatsoever in it's casting or fish playing ability.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Mattgonewild said:

Hello there guys :) SO finally got my first carp rod ever. I bought it from ,,total fish tackle'', and it was my first ever purchase from abroad. It's one of the cheap rods - Shimano tribal TX2. It looks really solid for the money, but i couldn't notice that one of the ring was out of shape. They say buy, cheap buy twice :) One of my fellas made a laugh that guys from the ups service played soccer with it :) So I've contacted the shop customer service and they've replayed me:

,,Hi, I can see that this is slightly out of shape. However the rings can with slight force bend back straight without causing any damage. If you could try easing it back straight, that would be great.''

Am I overreacting or this is just ridiculous? I know the damage is minimum, I wasn't even considering sending it back, but they've proposed me to fix it myself without any assurance of success. What do you guys think? 

28000098_2015217141851840_1485026584_o.jpg

28033267_2015217255185162_1390239030_o.jpg

28035183_2015217188518502_1361473836_o.jpg

I had the same happen to some rods that were delivered....... They are shipped in from Asia to the UK and then redistributed to the buyers. I doubt they are ever checked for defects once they leave the factories. ....... If it's too much hassle to send back then I would try to negotiate a part refund, something I've done before....... Sending things back to the manufacturer, is their problem, not yours as you purchased from them, so don't let them fob you off with that one..... In the UK, rods, are notoriously expensive to post out, it's costed on length and not weight. And since it would be down to them to cover the cost of the return postage, could be why they are trying to talk you round..... Unfortunately, we see more and more defects like this these days. Mass production and poor quality control being the main culprits imo.....

... BTW, if you do decide to fix it yourself, be sure to tape around the whipping a few times, just incase the varnish cracks...

..Another thing, most UK tackle dealers have an Ebay outlet or their products can be found on there. I've always found that Ebay will step in and help with any such problems..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I agree - bend it back yourself, tiny bit annoying that they were not perfect but its nothing to ease it back inline yourself, just be careful.

If I'd bought expensive customs they would go back straight away, but your damage is very minimal as so easily fixed.

 

Good luck

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, Mattgonewild said:

,,Hi, I can see that this is slightly out of shape. However the rings can with slight force bend back straight without causing any damage. If you could try easing it back straight, that would be great.''

Am I overreacting or this is just ridiculous? I know the damage is minimum, I wasn't even considering sending it back, but they've proposed me to fix it myself without any assurance of success. What do you guys think? 

The supplier is obliged to replace it but it'll cost them more to have the rod returned, checked, fixed or replaced, and shipped back to you than there is profit in the sale. The cheapest option, assuming they fulfill their obligations, is just to send you another one. So basically they're trying their luck to see if you'll fix it yourself.

Your call mate, it's am easy fix tbh. You might find they'll still request it back if you choose to go with a replacement so they can fix it themselves and ship to someone else. Or if you're lucky, they'll send you another and you can have a matching pair.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, B.C. said:

I had the same happen to some rods that were delivered....... They are shipped in from Asia to the UK and then redistributed to the buyers. I doubt they are ever checked for defects once they leave the factories. ....... If it's too much hassle to send back then I would try to negotiate a part refund, something I've done before....... Sending things back to the manufacturer, is their problem, not yours as you purchased from them, so don't let them fob you off with that one..... In the UK, rods, are notoriously expensive to post out, it's costed on length and not weight. And since it would be down to them to cover the cost of the return postage, could be why they are trying to talk you round..... Unfortunately, we see more and more defects like this these days. Mass production and poor quality control being the main culprits imo.....

... BTW, if you do decide to fix it yourself, be sure to tape around the whipping a few times, just incase the varnish cracks...

..Another thing, most UK tackle dealers have an Ebay outlet or their products can be found on there. I've always found that Ebay will step in and help with any such problems..

I know a fair few tackle manufacturers have tackle shipped in from Asia and the Far East. They are shipped in in boxes marked for the manufacturer, delivered to the manufacturers UK distribution, then in the same box out to the tackle shop. 

If its rods then how many are actually checked on arrival in the UK, very few I bet!

 

A certain Essex tackle manufacturer when I worked in the tackle shop was notorious for sending out sub par tackle to the tackle shops!

I was regularly replacing customers purchases, or if noticed before sale holding the item until the rep arrived and having him return them to the manufacturer directly. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, salokcinnodrog said:

I know a fair few tackle manufacturers have tackle shipped in from Asia and the Far East. They are shipped in in boxes marked for the manufacturer, delivered to the manufacturers UK distribution, then in the same box out to the tackle shop. 

If its rods then how many are actually checked on arrival in the UK, very few I bet!

 

A certain Essex tackle manufacturer when I worked in the tackle shop was notorious for sending out sub par tackle to the tackle shops!

I was regularly replacing customers purchases, or if noticed before sale holding the item until the rep arrived and having him return them to the manufacturer directly. 

They shouldn’t have to un box them to check though. Quality control would be done at the factory. 

Almost every other industry has goods or components produced in the Far East. I never get the stigma placed on it in the tackle industry. You never see anyone saying ‘I’m not buying Adidas trainers because they are produced in the far east’ or ‘I refuse to watch anything on that telly because it was made in the far east’!!! Lol

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
54 minutes ago, salokcinnodrog said:

how many are actually checked on arrival in the UK, very few I bet!

Not many, especially on the budget items... It's got to the stage now where I half expect a fault or two.... JRC high care mat I bought the other day, tried to open the Velcro pocket on the side and the material ripped about half inch long on the side of the mat. Bought from AD, who, I know from experience, will replace it. But only after the manufacturer has inspected it. Which means you either have to wait in for a courier to collect and redeliver, or take the time out to take it into one of their branches and wait a few weeks for a new one.... That's what I had to do with my Chub mat couple of years back.... Companies hate returns. it's a spanner in the works for them, so they make it as awkward as possible for the customer.... Can't be bothered to send it back and go through the aggro, so a hot glue repair will do it...

As Kev mentioned, if it was top end gear, you'd probably make the effort to get a refund, but you probably wouldn't get many probs in the first place. As they say, you get what you pay for.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, nigewoodcock said:

They shouldn’t have to un box them to check though. Quality control would be done at the factory. 

Almost every other industry has goods or components produced in the Far East. I never get the stigma placed on it in the tackle industry. You never see anyone saying ‘I’m not buying Adidas trainers because they are produced in the far east’ or ‘I refuse to watch anything on that telly because it was made in the far east’!!! Lol

But why is it that one manufacturer is particularly bad?

 

I know Drennan have a UK quality control system in their Far East factory, but not all do. 

As for unboxing them in the UK, I think they should. The container has been on a ship from China, Singapore, through to the UK. That ship  could have come through a storm, or two, the cargo in the container could have been thrown backwards and forwards in that storm. The whole container could have shifted. I think it is 4 containers are thrown or lost off ships every day. (I believe that was the figure David Attenborough quoted). If a cargo is thrown around, even if it is boxed it can get damaged. You also have goods made in some Far Eastern countries are worse than other Far Eastern countries!

 

 

Personally, if I can get quality goods made in this country, I will do so, even if it is more expensive than Far Eastern made products, hence my preference for Century Rods, Solar stainless, over Fox, Nash or others.

 

Fishing tackle is different to a pair of trainers. Trainers or clothing are not likely to be damaged if the container shifts, whereas a TV, cooker, or fishing rod can be...

 

Incidentally, I'll buy Adidas or Reebok trainers, but avoid Nike like the plague😉

 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, salokcinnodrog said:

Century

The only tackle firm that I know of that maintain a certified quality management system. And when was the last time you heard of anything from them going wrong? Hardly ever happens.

14 hours ago, nigewoodcock said:

They shouldn’t have to un box them to check though. Quality control would be done at the factory. 

Exactly that. Quality Control (QC) is from the 1980's, it was all about making products and then checking them. Modern manufacturers practice Quality Assurance (QA). It's different; it's about engineering the processes so you don't have to check the products produced after the fact. All well and good if you have a manufacturer with a decent quality system, not so good if you have a poor one. I'm European QA Manager for one of the biggest manufacturers of fasteners in the world so I should know....

I've audited suppliers in China. You would not believe some of the stuff I've seen (both good and bad (mostly bad lol)). Same in the UK in all fairness.

Imo a lot of the quality issues with tackle aint actually manufacturing defects. It's poor design and poor selection of raw materials on behalf of the tackle firms. Let's face it, the worlds best engineers aint exactly queuing up to get a job at Nash.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×