Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Mattgonewild

First purchase from UK. Should I be dissapointed?

1 hour ago, salokcinnodrog said:

I know a fair few tackle manufacturers have tackle shipped in from Asia and the Far East. They are shipped in in boxes marked for the manufacturer, delivered to the manufacturers UK distribution, then in the same box out to the tackle shop. 

If its rods then how many are actually checked on arrival in the UK, very few I bet!

A certain Essex tackle manufacturer when I worked in the tackle shop was notorious for sending out sub par tackle to the tackle shops!

I was regularly replacing customers purchases, or if noticed before sale holding the item until the rep arrived and having him return them to the manufacturer directly. 

They shouldn’t have to un box them to check though. Quality control would be done at the factory. 

Almost every other industry has goods or components produced in the Far East. I never get the stigma placed on it in the tackle industry. You never see anyone saying ‘I’m not buying Adidas trainers because they are produced in the far east’ or ‘I refuse to watch anything on that telly because it was made in the far east’!!! Lol

54 minutes ago, salokcinnodrog said:

how many are actually checked on arrival in the UK, very few I bet!

Not many, especially on the budget items... It's got to the stage now where I half expect a fault or two.... JRC high care mat I bought the other day, tried to open the Velcro pocket on the side and the material ripped about half inch long on the side of the mat. Bought from AD, who, I know from experience, will replace it. But only after the manufacturer has inspected it. Which means you either have to wait in for a courier to collect and redeliver, or take the time out to take it into one of their branches and wait a few weeks for a new one.... That's what I had to do with my Chub mat couple of years back.... Companies hate returns. it's a spanner in the works for them, so they make it as awkward as possible for the customer.... Can't be bothered to send it back and go through the aggro, so a hot glue repair will do it...

As Kev mentioned, if it was top end gear, you'd probably make the effort to get a refund, but you probably wouldn't get many probs in the first place. As they say, you get what you pay for.

2 hours ago, nigewoodcock said:

They shouldn’t have to un box them to check though. Quality control would be done at the factory. 

Almost every other industry has goods or components produced in the Far East. I never get the stigma placed on it in the tackle industry. You never see anyone saying ‘I’m not buying Adidas trainers because they are produced in the far east’ or ‘I refuse to watch anything on that telly because it was made in the far east’!!! Lol

But why is it that one manufacturer is particularly bad?

I know Drennan have a UK quality control system in their Far East factory, but not all do. 

As for unboxing them in the UK, I think they should. The container has been on a ship from China, Singapore, through to the UK. That ship  could have come through a storm, or two, the cargo in the container could have been thrown backwards and forwards in that storm. The whole container could have shifted. I think it is 4 containers are thrown or lost off ships every day. (I believe that was the figure David Attenborough quoted). If a cargo is thrown around, even if it is boxed it can get damaged. You also have goods made in some Far Eastern countries are worse than other Far Eastern countries!

Personally, if I can get quality goods made in this country, I will do so, even if it is more expensive than Far Eastern made products, hence my preference for Century Rods, Solar stainless, over Fox, Nash or others.

Fishing tackle is different to a pair of trainers. Trainers or clothing are not likely to be damaged if the container shifts, whereas a TV, cooker, or fishing rod can be...

Incidentally, I'll buy Adidas or Reebok trainers, but avoid Nike like the plague😉

Hee, hee, i like that Rob, but the old advice was Daiwa rods and shimmy reels if you are on a budget, the Daiwa Longbow is one of the finest rods i have ever owned, they cost me a hundred quid each, superb, i went up market and have never regretted it but i loved those rods, and i am fussy, shimano reels, the engineering is precise, clutch anomalies in some of the older models, but i assure you those rods were absolute rubbish, shimano catanas, 50 quid each, couldnt get on with the Greys Prodigys, have x Flite plus 50s, and they are brilliant, remember Ian Heaps wading at ashby with his silstar rubbish he took some stick from his local buddies, but Ian told us where to go and got on selling the tat to the unwary.

12 hours ago, salokcinnodrog said:

Century

The only tackle firm that I know of that maintain a certified quality management system. And when was the last time you heard of anything from them going wrong? Hardly ever happens.

14 hours ago, nigewoodcock said:

Exactly that. Quality Control (QC) is from the 1980's, it was all about making products and then checking them. Modern manufacturers practice Quality Assurance (QA). It's different; it's about engineering the processes so you don't have to check the products produced after the fact. All well and good if you have a manufacturer with a decent quality system, not so good if you have a poor one. I'm European QA Manager for one of the biggest manufacturers of fasteners in the world so I should know....

I've audited suppliers in China. You would not believe some of the stuff I've seen (both good and bad (mostly bad lol)). Same in the UK in all fairness.

Imo a lot of the quality issues with tackle aint actually manufacturing defects. It's poor design and poor selection of raw materials on behalf of the tackle firms. Let's face it, the worlds best engineers aint exactly queuing up to get a job at Nash.

1 hour ago, yonny said:

Quality Assurance (QA). It's different;

That would explain a lot then.......

I also think that nowadays we've got into the habit of on-line, mail order services...... In the past, you'd go in the shop, physically pick things up and handle them... You could do your own QC,QA before parting with any cash... People doing false casts with new rods outside the shop, wasn't uncommon...

7 hours ago, yonny said:

The only tackle firm that I know of that maintain a certified quality management system. And when was the last time you heard of anything from them going wrong? Hardly ever happens.

Exactly that. Quality Control (QC) is from the 1980's, it was all about making products and then checking them. Modern manufacturers practice Quality Assurance (QA). It's different; it's about engineering the processes so you don't have to check the products produced after the fact. All well and good if you have a manufacturer with a decent quality system, not so good if you have a poor one. I'm European QA Manager for one of the biggest manufacturers of fasteners in the world so I should know....

I've audited suppliers in China. You would not believe some of the stuff I've seen (both good and bad (mostly bad lol)). Same in the UK in all fairness.

Imo a lot of the quality issues with tackle aint actually manufacturing defects. It's poor design and poor selection of raw materials on behalf of the tackle firms. Let's face it, the worlds best engineers aint exactly queuing up to get a job at Nash.

I was told by a rod manufacturer that China is embargoed on certain carbon cloths, so those carbons can not be used in the rods they manufacture in that country. If you have those (high quality) carbon cloths and prepregs being used in this country for rod manufacture, then they are likely to be higher quality.

I don't know about now, but Daiwa used to manufacture their rods in the UK. At the time in the 1990's there were very few Daiwa rods returned to us in the shop I worked in at the time; Century and Drennan also no or few rods returned. 

I have made the point about rods being made of matching butt and tips, there was a Shimano rod that had a spiral pattern in the blank up and round the blank, you could see exactly how it was separated into sections. The spiral was slightly different on each rod!

From memory, it was a yellow and red spiral.