Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
jh92

Unfenced lakes

14 hours ago, carpmachine said:

Okay, this has turned into a cracking thread, so i am going to ask Frank another question that puzzles me, going on from what you have said about growth days, why is it that some carp are caught at their biggest weight during the depths of winter. My theory, there to be knocked down is that whilst natural food is present , they prefer to eat just that, but during Winter they take whatever is going, also i beleive that some carp never take anglers bait, but the puzzler for me is why known fish that come out all year get caught at higher weights in winter, less growth days and less food around.

A bear in winter hibernation weighs more than an active bear. 

Basically what yonny said is the answer. They pile on weight before winter and then are very sedentary and don't burn it off. It is used slowly over winter to keep them going and then to produce eggs before winter is out. 

10 hours ago, salokcinnodrog said:

Do the colder winters where the carp are under the ice and warmer summers affect the growth rates in any way?

Yes. There is less growth in winter. This can be seen when reading scales for age data. There are tighter bands where there is less growth (winter) and more spaced out bands during growth period (summer). So you can work out an age based on how many winters the fish has been alive. The banding on the scales would likely be more prominent when the winters are harsh and the summers are very warm too. There would likely be rapid growth in the summer months and hardly any over winter, as is the case normally but this would be above average and below average. 

22 hours ago, carpmachine said:

Okay, this has turned into a cracking thread, so i am going to ask Frank another question that puzzles me, going on from what you have said about growth days, why is it that some carp are caught at their biggest weight during the depths of winter. My theory, there to be knocked down is that whilst natural food is present , they prefer to eat just that, but during Winter they take whatever is going, also i beleive that some carp never take anglers bait, but the puzzler for me is why known fish that come out all year get caught at higher weights in winter, less growth days and less food around.

Its quite simple really, adult carp are at their lightest straight after spawning, not just because they have shed spawn / milt, but with all the excursions they lose body condition. They then set about eating and what they eat is important, remember this is normally the start to mid summer, naturally the food would be in the for of various natural fauna, all very high in protein and little else, this soon builds muscle and supplies the carp with any energy  it may need it is at this point that the carp gains any AVERAGE annual weight gain[if it is gaining at all][this is why I believe in High Usable Protein bait.]

By this time it is the end of Summer and heading into Autumn and this is where my own experiments taught me something new that is not normally seen in print and differs somewhat with what some people preach.                                                                                                                                        The carp start eating natural flora, this gives them carbohydrates that not only gives them the energy they need but lays down fat reserves that help them over the coming months.                                        As the autumn progresses and goes into winter the carps diet slowly changes into a high protein diet again, but far less that eaten in the warmer months, sometimes eating is so infrequent one might believe they don't feed at all, this is brought on by the cold water slowing down their metabolism and a lack of food also due to cold, it then becomes worthless for the carp to search out food expending valuable energy.                                                                                                                                             That energy is better utilised by converting it into Spawn/Milt, now dependent on each individual fish, this could be the point at which it is at its heaviest, or sometime later in others when the spawn has begun to expand somewhat.

You are then into spring and the water warming up, the carp then starts to burn the last of its fat reserves off as energy looking for food, if it finds enough, it wont lose weight, but if it finds it difficult it will lose condition using its one muscle for energy and the spawning process.                                    Then the whole cycle begins again.                                                                          

4 minutes ago, levigsp said:

By this time it is the end of Summer and heading into Autumn and this is where my own experiments taught me something new that is not normally seen in print and differs somewhat with what some people preach. The carp start eating natural flora, this gives them carbohydrates that not only gives them the energy they need but lays down fat reserves that help them over the coming months.

I've seen things that would support that.

19 hours ago, salokcinnodrog said:

Frank, 

Do the colder winters where the carp are under the ice and warmer summers affect the growth rates in any way?

I recall or seem to think, some of those countries its ice covered, then almost 2 days later ice free, and up in the high teens degrees Celsius. 

Also in that our English method of carp fishing as it has emigrated across the globe has given rise to bigger carp being able to be landed?

Or is this my imagination running wild...

Nick in waters fished little, the carp will do better with very cold winter so it is not expending energy that it cannot replace, that's one of the main reasons carp do well in Europe.

However if its a fished lake with plenty of feed going in, the carp can replace energy, so milder weather helps them, so in the Uk this is a better bet for the carp as mostly we don't get it cold enough, so the carp is looking for feed that is difficult to find unless put there by anglers.

You are right in that the English method of carp fishing has resulted in bigger carp being caught in the rest of the world.

I see Baden hall fishery has been getting hit by otters , there kidding them selves at the numbers of reported lost fish . They would have lost a lot of the big fish no doubt.  Apparently they've been hiding the fact until an angler went public with a video,  still taking anglers money  who were  fishing for ghosts.  

Like I've been saying if it ain't fenced you need to think seriously about whether it's worth your time & hard earned .

On 12/02/2019 at 17:57, chillfactor said:

I see Baden hall fishery has been getting hit by otters , there kidding them selves at the numbers of reported lost fish . They would have lost a lot of the big fish no doubt.  Apparently they've been hiding the fact until an angler went public with a video,  still taking anglers money  who were  fishing for ghosts.  

Like I've been saying if it ain't fenced you need to think seriously about whether it's worth your time & hard earned .

I've been walking the canal and river a lot over the last few months and haven't seen anything really except a few pike in the margins. Even spoke to a few anglers saying otters are about down there. 

Anyway I walked a stretched of canal last night and it seemed alive, loads of small fish breaking the surface with a few big splashes as well. Makes me wonder if I should try again down there or not. There are still fish there but so are the otters lol. 

If there's fish there give it a go while there still present,  I think the otter numbers makes the real difference & while there still visiting various waters. What I think is happening around me now , is fish are getting thin in numbers so the kills per visit escalated massively this winter because of it .

Tight lines 

On 20 February 2019 at 06:22, jh92 said:

I've been walking the canal and river a lot over the last few months and haven't seen anything really except a few pike in the margins. Even spoke to a few anglers saying otters are about down there. 

Anyway I walked a stretched of canal last night and it seemed alive, loads of small fish breaking the surface with a few big splashes as well. Makes me wonder if I should try again down there or not. There are still fish there but so are the otters lol. 

I can't remember if I have said it on this thread, but foxes will take otter kills after otters are finished with it. Foxes tend to drag and cache the kill. They tend not to eat in 'public'.