Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
B.C.

Decent life jacket...

Never bought one before, there seems to be loads on line ranging from £8 upwards.... Can anyone recommend a decent one? Not sure I want to put my well being in the hands of the cheapest one about... Any suggestions welcome, cheers.

11 hours ago, B.C. said:

Never bought one before, there seems to be loads on line ranging from £8 upwards.... Can anyone recommend a decent one? Not sure I want to put my well being in the hands of the cheapest one about... Any suggestions welcome, cheers.

Hi mate, it really depends what you are looking for as life jackets and bouyancybaids are two different things, if I’m assuming correctly that it’s for going out on a boay on your New lake a bouyancy aid could be the way to go and could leave a few extra pounds in ya pocket. If you go down the bouyancy aid route instead of life jacket have a look at the ones used for whitewater rafting/kayaking as they will give you far more manoeuvrability than a touring bouyancy aid would.

Also try not to “buy blind” go and try some on as although they look the same style/cut/ shape they can feel completely different to each other once on. 

* bare in mind mate this info is from my canoeing experience and nothing to do with fishing. Some of the lads who have experience through fishing may offer you better advice 

21 minutes ago, spr1985 said:

Hi mate, it really depends what you are looking for as life jackets and bouyancybaids are two different things, if I’m assuming correctly that it’s for going out on a boay on your New lake a bouyancy aid could be the way to go and could leave a few extra pounds in ya pocket. If you go down the bouyancy aid route instead of life jacket have a look at the ones used for whitewater rafting/kayaking as they will give you far more manoeuvrability than a touring bouyancy aid would.

Also try not to “buy blind” go and try some on as although they look the same style/cut/ shape they can feel completely different to each other once on. 

* bare in mind mate this info is from my canoeing experience and nothing to do with fishing. Some of the lads who have experience through fishing may offer you better advice 

Cheers buddy, doubt I'll be going out in a boat until it warms up a bit and I can wear less layers...... It's just 1 of 5 common sense rules.. You have to have one regardless of boat use, just in case another angler gets into any bother and you are called upon to help out...

Personally mate I'd not mess about. A buoyancy aid will not save your life in the event you fall out the boat and knock yourself out. 

spend the extra and get a self inflating one. Second hand is an option. 

I rarely go out in a boat but I have a life jacket, manual inflation though, in my barrow bag all the time. Never know when you may need it. Even if it's to swim out to unsnag a fish or another animal. 

17 minutes ago, greekskii said:

Personally mate I'd not mess about. A buoyancy aid will not save your life in the event you fall out the boat and knock yourself out. 

spend the extra and get a self inflating one. Second hand is an option. 

I rarely go out in a boat but I have a life jacket, manual inflation though, in my barrow bag all the time. Never know when you may need it. Even if it's to swim out to unsnag a fish or another animal. 

Completely agree with what you have said mate life jacket is the better/safer option and I didn’t really consider the possibility of knocking yourself out when I advised on the bouyancy aid, but under the scenario that you used a manual inflation is completely useless, as if you are unconscious you can’t manualy activate so I’d agree with why you said and go with the self inflating.

Also just so you are aware @B.C.when looking at life jackets you need to be looking at the 150n type as these are the minimum recommended for an adult and will turn you face up in the scenario that greekskii mentioned and support your weight  on the surface wether conscious or unconscious

Edited by spr1985

30 minutes ago, greekskii said:

get a self inflating one.

Cheers mate. Are these just single use or can they be re set......?

13 minutes ago, spr1985 said:

150n type as these are the minimum recommended for an adult

Nice one SPR. I did wonder about that as some are one generic size for adults, the cheaper ones. And only rated to 70kg

Probably hold on and get a decent one and hopefully never have to use it inflated.... This is something that I will deffo visit a shop for and get some advice too.

30 minutes ago, B.C. said:

Cheers mate. Are these just single use or can they be re set......?

Nice one SPR. I did wonder about that as some are one generic size for adults, the cheaper ones. And only rated to 70kg

Probably hold on and get a decent one and hopefully never have to use it inflated.... This is something that I will deffo visit a shop for and get some advice too.

You can re use them mate it’s just a co2 cartridge  that activates (just replace the cartridge. 

11 minutes ago, framey said:

You want a crotch strap on it as well 

extra security means it cant come off

Agreed! But I believe all life jackets come with a crotch strap as standard (may be wrong) whereas bouyancy aids generally don’t have them on the adult ones but do on the kids ones