Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
smufter

March catch reports.......................

11 hours ago, smufter said:

I came, I saw, I blanked..........:(

That's a shame Smufter , but hopefully you still enjoyed yourself as you usually do ; any signs of fish waking up ? .

Here in Suffolk it's only just stopped raining today , it started about 7AM .

I was on the Angling Essentials facebook page and I saw " here fishy , fishy , fishy " from Sesame Street - is that where you got it from ? .

:)

45 minutes ago, crusian said:

That's a shame Smufter , but hopefully you still enjoyed yourself as you usually do ; any signs of fish waking up ? .

Here in Suffolk it's only just stopped raining today , it started about 7AM .

I was on the Angling Essentials facebook page and I saw " here fishy , fishy , fishy " from Sesame Street - is that where you got it from ? .

:)

Enjoyed myself mate, but it was horrible early doors. Chucking it down with rain and blowing a gale. Hunkered down under the brolly until it brightened up in the afternoon. Wind died down too and there were some decent fish visible, just cruising around, including our resident Koi.  She was strutting her stuff, closely followed by two mid double Mirrors swimming nose to tail. A couple of big fish, don't know whether they were Mirrors or Commons then cruised in to the middle of the bay, just hanging there for a few minutes before blowing their ballast and just slowly sinking out of sight.

There was quite a lot of movement around my rig in the corner, I half expected my bobbin to hit the rod but waited and waited.... nothing. It wasn't until I reeled in to go home that I realised my rig had been tangled all the time..... don't you just love it when that happens.

But definite signs that the lake is waking up.

And read on our FB page that somebody hooked into the resident Catfish that night and had it on for four hours before finally getting snagged up. It hit the bottom and wouldn't budge apparently. 

Edited by smufter

Just confirmed. He hooked into it at midnight and lost it at 4.05am. They reckon it goes 100lb now. He was gutted. It must have dived under the bank and didn't want to come out. Apparently it picked up his yellow pop up on one rod and also took his bait on another so he was playing it on two rods......:shock::shock::shock:

14 hours ago, smufter said:

Just confirmed. He hooked into it at midnight and lost it at 4.05am. They reckon it goes 100lb now. He was gutted. It must have dived under the bank and didn't want to come out. Apparently it picked up his yellow pop up on one rod and also took his bait on another so he was playing it on two rods......:shock::shock::shock:

Would a 3rd rod have made a difference ? 

I don't know about you , Smufter , but playing any fish for 4 hours is not my idea of fun :(

8 hours ago, crusian said:

I don't know about you , Smufter , but playing any fish for 4 hours is not my idea of fun :(

Apparently, after it's initial run it holed up under the bank and just sat there, as Catfish have a tendency to do. Not my idea of fun either.
He wasn't deliberately fishing for it, so was unprepared for what happened. After a few hours of stalemate, it decided it had had enough, set off again and snagged him on something. It was pitch dark, which couldn't have helped!
Maybe in daylight he might have been able to steer it away a bit better, but I doubt it very much. Once a big Cat has decided it wants to go somewhere, there's not a lot that's going to stop it.
I hate the blooming things. Ugly fish. I've only ever caught a couple of smaller kittens and didn't enjoy catching them one bit.
But that initial surge when it took off must have got the adrenaline pumping!!

In the US, we have a catfish called a Flathead that, except when its out hunting, is mainly holed up in some of the worst snags imaginable. Fishermen targeting them often puts baits a little distance from logjams and other huge snags, and when the fish comes out and takes the bait, they have to use all their strenght to keep the fish from getting back into the snag. The use extremely heavy gear and line, sometimes heavy saltwater gear, with the reels clutch nearly or fully tightened down. Flatheads don't reach the size Wels Catfish can, but I think the record rod-and-line Flathead was at least 123Ibs.