Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
nigewoodcock

Carp care

On 18/03/2018 at 13:28, dayvid said:

You dont have to bully any fish , just be competent enough to get the fish in without tiring it out to just a dead weight ,which Many "Carp" anglers cant do , 

Its a hate of mine , hearing how people have to recover their fish , i have never through the course of normal angling ever had to recover a fish , 

Hmmm - resting fish

Its a syndicate rule for us and we don't put rules up for no reason, its beneficial to the fish, means they can be checked properly before release.

Never seen anyone play a fish until its laying on its side almost dead, that just doesn't happen, maybe its common place where you fish, maybe your exaggerating to make some kind of point?

Fish care has never been better IMO, or should I say the products have never been better and fish care has never been taken so seriously until recent years which is fantastic.  No excuses for getting things wrong nowadays because everything is explained in great detail via the internet etc.

Only downside of resting fish in the net is that sometimes the fish jumps out before weighing and photos as I found out last summer when a target scaley did the off!!!

Advice: once landed keep the fish in the net or transfer to a retainer, remove hook, re-cast, sit down, calm yourself, then get the kit together and plan what your about to do.  

18 hours ago, chillfactor said:

Only the angler with the rod in there hand can answer that one , loads of things make the battle what it is ... lillies/ snags / weed / depth of margin / size of fish / zigs /  list goes on & on .

Don't see any issue with resting fish we all should know when there ready , but thst also ties in with what sort of fight to the net it was . I like to unhook them in the net if I can , get all the end tackle out the way before any thought of lifting them out  , great point by BC on the fins check check & check again just before lifting . 

Barbel fishing it's a must to hold & rest the fish , if you don't & it's fast water it could well go belly up . Even after holding & resting them your still find them laying up out the flow somewhere. 

I find unhooking them in the net easiest as well .and they dont tend to thrash around at all. for some reason they seem quieter than when on the bank, ive done it this way for years with small singles upto nearly 50 and always had no issues 

Playing powerful fish is very thrilling even more so for newcomers and will improve with experience, a fish will let you know when it’s ready for the net. The playing of fish is viewed in different ways by different anglers, some like to savour the fight, and why not, others like to net the fish as soon as possible, who are right?

Fish care:

Personally, I try and keep the fish out of the water for the least time it takes to weigh and photograph it. So, this means having the camera, scales and cradle/mat at hand. Obviously some are more adept than others at weighing and photographing, so common sense should prevail. I have cradle type mats, as I find them much safer and sometimes handy for releasing fish. I have pockets on mine for forceps and a bottle of Propolis or other carp care.

On the majority of my venues a retainer sling is allowed, so after netting a fish, I position the cradle, position the camera and tripod, get a pale or two of water, and wet the retainer sling. Lay the retainer into the cradle, I then unhook the fish in the net if possible, and transfer the fish into the retainer sling. Weigh the fish, photograph the fish keeping it as wet as possible, treat any mouth damage, and any other obvious wounds. With the fish still laying in the retainer, in the cradle, check the fins are tucked in, zip up the retainer and place the fish and retainer back into the water, and secure with a staked cord. If the fish seems lively, make an attemp at releasing it, if the fish is sluggish, keep it in the retainer, whilst pouring water with a pale close to the fishes head. This will oxygenate the water, and help the fish perk up much quicker, the fish should then be carefully released.

If retainer slings aren’t allowed, then the above can be done albeit a bit more difficult, with the landing net and cradle mat. Whatever method is chosen, as long as the welfare of the fish is remembered, and common sense applied, all is good.

Good evening fellow Anglers. I only started last year but when it comes to fish care is the most overlooked subject in the carp community. I see pros on videos not always paying giving the fish full attention. In august i got stopped by a a fishery owner half way taking a photograph with my catch. His advise was beat i ever had. Use your common sense!. I was holding the fish high up above the ground he didn't like it and rightly so. From hooking the fish to letting it out there is a lot to consider. From sharpness of the hook so it doesn't ruin  its mouth to a bit of tubing so the line doesn't cut into the body of fighting fish to a big net so fish is not squished like a stress ball or a big enough mat so if you do drop it while taking a photo it lands on a bed of feathers and don't get concussion. From your gear to your approach and forward planning as some anglers said above. Use your common sense and ALWAYS TREAT YOUR CARP BETTER THAN YOUR WIFE ;)   

On 18/03/2018 at 19:54, dayvid said:

My point is it should swim off freely upright and quickly ,  and no be so knackered that it leans to one side has to be rested X amount of mins , if people are recovering fish then its been played to long , out the water to long or a combination of both.

We are going to have to agree to disagree 

I caught a 20 that took 20 minutes to land, it went of like a rocket before i had chance to rest it, all carp are very different

Edited by John ozzy
Spelling