Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Lumeymorris

Line keeps looping up

20 minutes ago, Lumeymorris said:

Guys I've been having a problem with my main line it keeps looping up when have any slack line. Can this be fixed or do I need new line? Also what causes this so I can try and avoid it happening again.

Something a lot of line brands don't tell you about, 'line memory', and a problem stiffer clear or white lines can get worse than coloured. The dye actually acts as a line softener, and makes it more supple. It is the dye that also makes sure coloured lines are better and easier to knot.

It could just as easily, as Yonny says, be line twist.

If it is line twist, then ways to avoid it in the first place,

Don't play fish on the clutch, and don't allow line to be taken on the baitrunner.

If it is possible, at the end of a session, with no-one opposite, cast to the far bank, go round and remove your lead and rig, go back to rod and reel in. The alternative is a Gardner Spin Doctor, but it will only work if the twist is 'that way', as the Spin Doctor will spin the line.

If it is a major problem, and as Yonny said' has twisted, it may actually fracture or break itself, so will most definitely need replacing.

Try to avoid getting line twist on the line from putting the line on the reel. Put the reel on the butt section of the rod, and the new line in a bucket of water. Reel it onto the reel through the butt ring, slowly, through your thumb and forefinger, or a cloth.

I'm using the Fox exocet I think its called. I haven't had any problems with the line strength as I got suck in a bush the other day and pull for a break but I didn't think it was going to break at one point its more one the  presentation side of things as I can't imagine it looks to neat on the bottom. I can't remember if it has always been like this as or happened over time as I normally fish a tight line to the snags a lot of the time. I only notice it when I fish a slack line.

Sounds like line twist to me. Get yourself a Gardner line doctor - they’re only a few quid, and actually work.

I’d rather have to use the spin doctor now and again, rather than not being able to play off the clutch (not a backwind fan) and use the baitrunner.

2 hours ago, Lumeymorris said:

I'm using the Fox exocet I think its called. I haven't had any problems with the line strength as I got suck in a bush the other day and pull for a break but I didn't think it was going to break at one point its more one the  presentation side of things as I can't imagine it looks to neat on the bottom. I can't remember if it has always been like this as or happened over time as I normally fish a tight line to the snags a lot of the time. I only notice it when I fish a slack line.

Is the coiling all on that one rod that got snagged up, or does it happen on the other(s)?

If it is on the snagged up one, it is quite possible that it is the break that caused it as it recoiled on itself. I would also be thinking of changing the line on that as it is likely to have been stretched as well. Although line is 'elastic', it does not always go back to its original state, staying slightly stretched.

You could try flipping it , ie wind it on to a spare spool, any damaged line will be sitting underneath. Just need to make sure there is enough line , 200 odd yards is enough. This will get you by, but personally I'd be looking to re spool with some new line. I had similar probs with some GT-HD and ended up binning it, although from all the reviews, I think I'm the only bloke in Britain to have had any probs with that particular line.:lol:

I've just had this problem with some Shimano Technium 15lb. I've been using this line for donkey's years and never had a problem with it before, and I spooled it up exactly the same way as I've spooled it in the past. Dodgy batch??? It can't have been line twist from playing a fish on the clutch.... I've only caught one fish since putting it on, but all three rods had done the same.

I've now taken it off and replaced it with new line, and the problem has gone. Totally.

I've got Shimano Technium 12lb on my spare spools and that is sitting (and behaving) perfectly. 

Been happening for a while before the break so I'm thinking its more down to when I'm playing the fish and have the clutch to loose and causes s twist be case its not my whole line just in places and to be fair I've been looking at getting some new line just not sure what to get as I've been looking at the pro logic mimicry cameo line that they do as its ment to take on any colour lake bed and the lakes I'm going to be mainly fishing this year all have different lake beds and water clarity. Or do you guys have any recommendations on allround mainline as one of the lakes is merry and the other is pretty clear come summer.

12 hours ago, Lumeymorris said:

I'm using the Fox exocet I think its called.

Exocet is pre-stretched so it's doubtful that stretch has caused it.

Take a foot or two between each index finger and form a loop. If it twists up into a spiral then line twist is the issue - follow the twist doctor instructions from others above.

If it doesn't twist up into a spiral then simply remove about 10 or 20 yards of line and discard it to eliminate stretch as a cause. Give it the beans (i.e. cast big) a couple of times to remove any line-set (which could be your issue).

If it still does it then the line is probs ready for changing.

22 minutes ago, kevtaylor said:

whats wrong with the Loaded XT? - thats the latest version right?

It is the newer version yes. Don't get me wrong, the Loaded isn't a bad line, it's just not as good as the standard XT as an all-rounder (imo). It's slightly heavier so although it sinks better (slightly) it doesn't cast or behave at all as well as the normal one.

1 hour ago, yonny said:

It is the newer version yes. Don't get me wrong, the Loaded isn't a bad line, it's just not as good as the standard XT as an all-rounder (imo). It's slightly heavier so although it sinks better (slightly) it doesn't cast or behave at all as well as the normal one.

I liked the original a lot and spooled up with the newer version last year but was forced to replace it with 20lb line soon after, so didn't get the chance to put it through its paces.

Good info cheers :D

3 minutes ago, Lumeymorris said:

do you have to let the line soak first

You don't have to but I find it does help a little.

4 minutes ago, Lumeymorris said:

do you have to load it on clockwise.

Depends on the brand. Normally wind it off label side up. Most firms offer a youtube vid showing exactly how to do it now.

On 13/04/2018 at 05:11, smufter said:

I've just had this problem with some Shimano Technium 15lb. I've been using this line for donkey's years and never had a problem with it before, and I spooled it up exactly the same way as I've spooled it in the past. Dodgy batch??? It can't have been line twist from playing a fish on the clutch.... I've only caught one fish since putting it on, but all three rods had done the same.

I've now taken it off and replaced it with new line, and the problem has gone. Totally.

I've got Shimano Technium 12lb on my spare spools and that is sitting (and behaving) perfectly. 

Just to follow up on this, I’m using new 15lb Technium Black that I’ve just spooled onto my reels. Not having any of the problems you mentioned above, so must have been a dodgy batch. 

It hangs limply between eyes, no cooling what-so-ever.