Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
TheKingTench

Groundbait vs spod mix? Which matters more?

So we carp anglers tend to always use a simple and sloppy spod mix around our hookbaits. Match/general coarse anglers like to bait up a swim with solid balls of groundbait - some often costing up to £6 a kilo and containing all sorts of weird and wonderful ingredients. 

Why is there such a difference here? 

There's no simple answer; approaches are based on what we think is going on under the water, anglers should be keeping an open mind and open approach since what works one day may not the next.

The sloppy mix can create interest from passing fish and create a feeding are since there are bits suspended in the water as well as an area on the bottom where they can really get their heads down. The small balls of groundbait may attract a few fish in at a time so that you do not spook a whole shoal of fish when you catch one.

Fishing for one fish at a time, or creating a feeding frenzy, spreading bait out to keep them hunting, keeping the bait tight to keep them in the same area ... The list of possibilities just keeps increasing, seasonal variations, none is correct every time, experience and ability helps.

This is why watercraft is king, if the fish are basking in the surface areas, there's little point pinning a bait to the bottom.

Fishing several areas gives you the chance to play the odds, if all else fails, soak up the rays and listen to the world wend its way through the solar system and contemplate what would have happened if you'd stayed at home :)

On 13 April 2018 at 21:59, TheKingTench said:

So we carp anglers tend to always use a simple and sloppy spod mix around our hookbaits. Match/general coarse anglers like to bait up a swim with solid balls of groundbait - some often costing up to £6 a kilo and containing all sorts of weird and wonderful ingredients. 

Why is there such a difference here? 

Fashion!😅😉

Before the days of Danny Fairbrass and DVD's there was groundbait fished Method style, but as a serious point to a flippant answer, those DVD's have made the spod mix the fashionable way to fish.

Particle fishing has been going on since the 1970's, and firing out particle by catapult in those days, was the way to catch. 

Mixing particles in a spod mix works, as does adding groundbait, milk, tuna, or even pellets.

It is down to the angler to find what works on each water. 

Spodding isn't anything new, i remember watching Jan Porter on a episode of Total Fishing with Matt Hayes once, he was using a very primitive version of the modern day spod, i believe he made it himself out of a old shampoo bottle and some expandable foam if i remember rightly...

1 hour ago, salokcinnodrog said:

Fashion!😅😉

Before the days of Danny Fairbrass and DVD's there was groundbait fished Method style, but as a serious point to a flippant answer, those DVD's have made the spod mix the fashionable way to fish.

I still love using a method feeder on some days! it's such a forgotten method and i find that the fish aren't generally used to seeing them anymore on most carp waters. In fact, me and my partners brother in law have a little challenge coming up soon, I'll be using the method, He'll be using a lead clip style set up, We'll see who wins 

:)

4 hours ago, The_Viking_Angler said:

Spodding isn't anything new, i remember watching Jan Porter on a episode of Total Fishing with Matt Hayes once, he was using a very primitive version of the modern day spod, i believe he made it himself out of a old shampoo bottle and some expandable foam if i remember rightly...

I still love using a method feeder on some days! it's such a forgotten method and i find that the fish aren't generally used to seeing them anymore on most carp waters. In fact, me and my partners brother in law have a little challenge coming up soon, I'll be using the method, He'll be using a lead clip style set up, We'll see who wins 

:)

My moneys on the method feeder!

in full deference to Nicks knowledge i have to say that particle mixes have been used since WAY before the 70s, i can remember fishing at pool hall in the 60s and observing how the bigger fish seemed to mob the field bank at harvest time, the crop was corn, rye and barley on rotation.

as the primitive (compared to now) harvester reaped the crop alongside the pool it would  scatter grain on the bank and margins, we would side hook a single corn grain or a double rye/barley and hammer the pool. :lol:

90% of carp baits have come from observation and experimentation. :wink:

3 hours ago, cyborx said:

in full deference to Nicks knowledge i have to say that particle mixes have been used since WAY before the 70s, i can remember fishing at pool hall in the 60s and observing how the bigger fish seemed to mob the field bank at harvest time, the crop was corn, rye and barley on rotation.

as the primitive (compared to now) harvester reaped the crop alongside the pool it would  scatter grain on the bank and margins, we would side hook a single corn grain or a double rye/barley and hammer the pool. :lol:

90% of carp baits have come from observation and experimentation. :wink:

I think it was probably Rod Hutchinson who publicised particle fishing from his 70's exploits on Redmire. I know sweetcorn was supposed to have 'blown' and then came Kevin Clifford, and instead of using a small tin of corn was using a catering tin to bait up with.

In fact Chris Yates I am sure caught the Bishop on sweetcorn in the 80's.

I know there are a couple or three particle chapters in The Carp Strikes Back, Mike Wilson on Savay, **** Cauldwell in Kent and Hutchy's own particle ideas.

Particle power chaps, it works, smaller baits, a lot of the argument for not using it has been removed along with the silver fish that eat it, most of the spod gods dump particle by the ton and fish boilie, sheer madness, fashion items, keep it going in guys, at 60 pence a kilo, some will out catch you, the zigs, just foam, stand alones no cost, the catchng bait on horseshoe is popped up sweetcorn, and the boss bait at Redmire is peanuts, look at what you are doing with an open mind.