Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Hi I have started fishing for carp in Wyoming and Idaho.  Carp are not the typical sport fish in my area. 

My question is what would be the best chum? Is there a general go to?   

The only thing that I have caught them on is worms and a fly. 

Thanks for the help 

Welcome to the forum mate.

My sister lives in Virgina mate and i know how hard it is to get decent carp tackle/bait in the states from experience!

What i tend to do when im over there is make my own groundbait/Chum. It's really simple and cheap too!

get some breadcrumb to use as a base. You can add food coloring to make different colours.

Add in some powdered additives such as Garlic and Chilli powder. 

Sweetcorn! and make sure you throw in the juices from the tin too!

It's really simple and works too!

Alternatively you can use just sweetcorn on its own to great effect, Plus they can be dyed/flavoured pretty easily too!

There is a varity of things that works very well that you can get from farm stores and supermarkets. Sweetcorn, field and deer corn, chickpeas, lentils, different beans, peas, hempseeds, different birdfoods, and etc. Just make sure to prepare any dried particles, such as field corn, correctly before using.

On 16/04/2018 at 13:53, TnCarper said:

There is a varity of things that works very well that you can get from farm stores and supermarkets. Sweetcorn, field and deer corn, chickpeas, lentils, different beans, peas, hempseeds, different birdfoods, and etc. Just make sure to prepare any dried particles, such as field corn, correctly before using.

heyup!!, i would use them all, 10k (or 20lb) of each should be cheap enough and last a good few months, there are plenty of instructionals on here about preparing seeds, legumes and pulses.

a shot of salt lick and or mollasses, honey, garlic powder, curry, turmeric, paprica, chilli flakes, oyster sauce or Belacan.

you can get belacan from Amazon here and it is one of the most prolific additives for carp :lol:

oh and welcome to the madhouse buddy :lol:

Welcome to the forum.  R6 (Geoff) from the Spokane area used to go fish the Snake in Idaho with a friend, and I think they did ok.  Let us know how it goes out there.