Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
carpmachine

TIME MANAGEMENT

As a percentage angler, i am amazed at the winter carp boys, look at the results, zilch, is it really worth it and why do you feel the need to go, is it a survival challenge or is it the expectation of catching the uncatchable. I understand the need for solitude, but when i take a fishng rod, i expect a fair chance of a result, you can walk around as many times as you like,  but unless the weather conditons are favourable, you are wasting your time, lesson learned from trout fishing. If its a quest for the uncatchable, do you try to replicate the naturals, maggots as bait, or stick with the boilie bashing thats failed to land these fish through the prolific times, personally between the period of clock change, i wouldnt bother with an asian speceis, why do you and how do you approach it differently from the warmer months if at all.

I watched a program just the other day, a group of archaeologists were digging up some iron age fish traps somewhere towards the end of the Nene , along with both pike and perch bone's also there were carp !! Now somehow I don't think at that age they could of been imported , just saying mate, every lake river canal can fish differently and every angler makes of it what they want ......

Personally it’s the chance on catching something special. End of November I did. I then sat through December without a sight of a carp. I think you have to pick your venues right in winter. Higher stocks and shallow. I stick with boilies, maybe some particle  normally just a single pop up and maybe a handful of boilies around. 

But for me, I don’t mind sitting through blanks even in the warmer months. It’s a part of fishing. I’ve had plenty and I’ll have plenty more. Each one something is learned and hopefully a step closer to the prize im after. Winter especially, you need to be there to locate them. 

9 hours ago, carpmachine said:

As a percentage angler, i am amazed at the winter carp boys, look at the results, zilch, is it really worth it and why do you feel the need to go, is it a survival challenge or is it the expectation of catching the uncatchable.

I wouldn't class myself as a "percentage" angler but I often wonder what pleasure these guys get from fishing during the depths of winter. 
Frozen lakes, frozen alarms? I spend the odd winters day on the bank, but I choose wisely. It's bad enough being out during daylight hours with temps hovering around the freezing mark, but then to have to endure 16 hours of darkness at the end of that?? Not a hope in hell. I take my hat off to anybody who does venture out, but do I envy them? Nope. Not one iota.
Fishing to me is about enjoyment. I don't mind blanking, just as long as I've enjoyed myself. Personally, I would not gain one ounce of enjoyment sitting in a bivvy in the pitch dark at 5 o'clock in the afternoon trying to keep warm, knowing that the temperature was going to drop even further over the next few hours and it's not going to get light again for another 14 hours. Madness.

Edited by smufter

10 hours ago, carpmachine said:

As a percentage angler, i am amazed at the winter carp boys, look at the results, zilch, is it really worth it and why do you feel the need to go, is it a survival challenge or is it the expectation of catching the uncatchable. I understand the need for solitude, but when i take a fishng rod, i expect a fair chance of a result, you can walk around as many times as you like,  but unless the weather conditons are favourable, you are wasting your time, lesson learned from trout fishing. If its a quest for the uncatchable, do you try to replicate the naturals, maggots as bait, or stick with the boilie bashing thats failed to land these fish through the prolific times, personally between the period of clock change, i wouldnt bother with an asian speceis, why do you and how do you approach it differently from the warmer months if at all.

Fishing in winter has produced a lot of fish, some waters I knew I could catch carp, and not just small ones.

At Earith, I was catching carp, often 2 or 3 over 2 nights to over 20lb. Almost all of The only blanks I had in 2 years were when the lake froze over. I was also catching at night, rarely in the day.

Thwaite I was catching even in the depths of winter, in 1 week session 10 carp, and it was a water I used to use to test baits, rigs and lead set-ups. Onehouse, a day ticket water that a mate and I would go to to be sure of getting carp.

Nazeing, my largest ever carp came in winter, and it has winter form, at times more so than summer. Even on the Lagoons, I have had bigger multiple catches than in the summer.

Every single one of those lakes produced to boilie tactics, and they are not all shallow waters. Brackens and Lagoons drop to over 20feet.

I fish the same, either days on local waters, or couple of day sessions on the further away season ticket lake. 

I can cope with cold weather because I am prepared, because I have the right gear.

In winter I can equally blank for pike, roach or chub in day sessions, to be honest there is no differential between cyprinids or predators, all can move or shut up shop, or disappear as they seem to have done locally in the river.

9 hours ago, cloud9 said:

I watched a program just the other day, a group of archaeologists were digging up some iron age fish traps somewhere towards the end of the Nene , along with both pike and perch bone's also there were carp !! Now somehow I don't think at that age they could of been imported , just saying mate, every lake river canal can fish differently and every angler makes of it what they want ......

The Romans were moving carp all around their empire, which did include Britain, as well as parts of Asia, Greece, and North Africa.

Think Italian strain... Saying that, Frank probably has a more definitive explanation.

Carp are also a European fish, NOT just Asian, essentially being first found in the European Danube, but for thousands of years taken further into Asia as a food source, then into China and  Japan for domestication and aquaculture. A 5th century BC tract recalls how carp were raised in ponds!

13 hours ago, cloud9 said:

Do you have a link to this as im very interested to read this .

Natural England seem to deem Carp as an invasive species and as such are intending along with the Forestry Commission to remove ,and Destroy all the Carp from Hatchet pond here in the New Forest during the autumn of this year ,by netting and electro fishing .

7 minutes ago, dayvid said:

Natural England seem to deem Carp as an invasive species and as such are intending along with the Forestry Commission to remove ,and Destroy all the Carp from Hatchet pond here in the New Forest during the autumn of this year ,by netting and electro fishing .

Natural England also deem sturgeon an alien species when it’s in fact native. Just extinct from our waters. 

Mall these petitions about otters when really a petition to class carp as a native species now they've been here for so long would actually hold real ground and when passed (how could it not be) then the otter brigade have one less string in their bow. 

17 hours ago, carpmachine said:

I think it's all about the challenge for those that brave it..... Chasing the impossible, which is how it all started. I've read many times, that in the very early days, carp were considered almost impossible to catch, regardless of the time of year. Some of the early pioneers, blanking for a year or more, targeting a few fish in acres of water...... An individual pursuit, against the odds...... 

Catching a single fish over a 4 month period, or indeed blanking, isn't that how it used to be? 

The experienced angler will know when his chances of catching are best, but can he always drop everything and rush to the lake, for a 4 hour window of opportunity that might pop up on a Wednesday afternoon in December? Not many can do this and just have to fish their time available and take from each session whatever they can........

I didn't fish the last winter, good job, considering some of the conditions we had and the times I had available. Still got out and about for a few hours walkabout here and there. I've always said, that the guys that do stick it out are a different breed and are enjoyable to be around. They are usually the most enthusiastic of the lot, so any negativities , just aren't there.

With the summer hoards of anglers dropping off most lakes and either staying at home or fishing puddles (good for them) as soon as the clocks go back.. This makes late Autumn and early Spring a time for a bit of bank space with a decent chance of a fish up until Easter Bank Holiday, when many return.

Mid Winter, different ball game, once water temps are dropping to 4c-5c then chances of a fish are slim at best, unless you can search out a mini micro climate a few degrees warmer, behind a feature or in the layers.

I don't think many anglers tailor their fishing enough through the winter, perhaps a bait change. But I see lots of guys fishing the same spots on the deck throughout the year. Another reason why catches are thin on the ground...........

Last, but by no means least..... There is an endless list of promo vids aimed at kids to keep their dream of catching every session alive, even through the Winter..... Coincidentally , there are Asian Warehouses stuffed with Bivvies, boots, clothing oh yeah and those all essential things like candle lit tin can bivvie heaters...... The wheels of commerce will encourage anglers to fish 24/7 365.......:)

5 hours ago, dayvid said:

Do you have a link to this as im very interested to read this .

hi dave , think it was on one of the discovery channels , I'll see if I can find it again 

dave 

On 4/14/2018 at 21:11, carpmachine said:

As a percentage angler, i am amazed at the winter carp boys, look at the results, zilch, is it really worth it and why do you feel the need to go, is it a survival challenge or is it the expectation of catching the uncatchable. I understand the need for solitude, but when i take a fishng rod, i expect a fair chance of a result, you can walk around as many times as you like,  but unless the weather conditons are favourable, you are wasting your time, lesson learned from trout fishing.

For me it's not just about catching fish. It's about enjoying the seasons. Nature and conditions at their worst can be as beautiful as when they're at their best. You say the result was zilch.... I say I was lucky enough to experience some of the most beautiful mornings I've ever seen this winter.

Natures extremes provide my fave times to fish be that electrical thunder storms at the height of summer, heavy snowfall and sub zero temps, the biggest autumn winds etc..... nature at it's finest. It puts you in your place and reminds you what living is....... "at one with nature" as they say......

If it was just about catching I'd get down some overstocked commy but that's not what I enjoy, and ultimately enjoyment is what makes a trip successful imo. And if you're enjoying yourself you are NEVER wasting your time.

On 4/14/2018 at 21:11, carpmachine said:

If its a quest for the uncatchable, do you try to replicate the naturals, maggots as bait, or stick with the boilie bashing thats failed to land these fish through the prolific times, personally between the period of clock change, i wouldnt bother with an asian speceis, why do you and how do you approach it differently from the warmer months if at all.

I approach it completely differently. While I do take bait with me I rarely use it. Normally spend my time trying to put something small and bright in front of their nose. Finding them is the hard bit.

I just love being out on the bank, regardless of the season. I'll still fish for carp all through winter, especially if we get some warmer days but these are only day sessions, i don't really tend to do nights past October time if i'm honest.

I'll also target other species right through the winter too, such as Pike, Roach ect.

I quite enjoy fishing in winter. Last year i blanked all through December and Jan on a new lake but it gave me a bit of time to work the lake bed out. This year that lake was shut so i went to a venue that i knew was quite well stocked and caught all through December and January, even the the 2 weekends i have recently done (both of which snowed) i caught. If your dressed warm then its not a problem. If your sitting there freezing your bits off, Its not fun, go home!

I think if your going to campaign a particular water you should fish it all year round. Itll give you a better understanding of a water. It can be a little bit of an endurance test but the thought of catching that one winter fish still outweighs whatever mother nature throws at me. This winter has been the toughest yet and it has led me to questioning my drive at times. I'll usually spend the colder months, plumbing and generally markering around ready for the clocks moving in March. Waiting for signs of the bottom turning over, Swifts scooping up the first hatch of the year all play a role and give vital clues to fish waking up. Carp do feed during the colder months but it can be very sporadic, watching the weather helps, low pressure, warmer temperatures, sunny days. I've always said I'd rather fish on a wind at the beginning of winter than at the end. As winter takes hold, the middle of lakes are a good bet if you can reach them, or on a wind but at the back of it.

In truth, I enjoy fishing all year round, sometimes I wish I could pick the better days but you make the most of what you have and don't waste your life waiting. Just get out and do it, we'll all have those dreadful sessions but it makes those better sessions much more sweeter.

Baiting wise, I'll just use a little less, this winter I've been applying my bait all the way through, 7 bream and no carp as of yet but I'm sure the hard work will eventually pay off.

14 hours ago, Ginger9991 said:

If your dressed warm then its not a problem. If your sitting there freezing your bits off, Its not fun, go home!

Exactly that. Lots of guys dislike winter fishing because it's cold - simple answer, wear warm togs. My winter gear is so warm and comfortable it makes it a pleasure being on the bank in sub zero temps.

16 minutes ago, carpmachine said:

Hmm, Yonny, the whole point of being there is to catch fish, Norwegian winter survival holidays are quite cheap these days, think some of us have lost the point.

If it was just about catching fish I'd probably be match fishing cm.

If I wasn't fishing I'd likely be trekking or camping, I just prefer to have some rods on a spot lol.

It is about fishing at the end of the day Yonny, match fishing neither of us would go there, i think you summed it up in the last sentence, good luck to yu bruv, its probably more about solitude and camping than fishing, stick the rods out, whatever and hope, dont you think a break renews your enthusiasm and gets you thinking rather than being set in your ways, it works for me, cant speak forr others, just asking.

this is my second year of withholding my skills from the bank during winter and just like last year i am finding it almost impossible to motivate myself to get back out there.

for years before this i have fished right thru and enjoyed every moment whether it resulted in a fish or a blank.

i miss the thrill of waking to a vista of frost or snow, the odd carp boshing and the occasional visit from a robin or squirrel looking for tidbits, yes winter carping is more like camping and  survivalist stuff but it all tests you and your resolve and i would hazzard a guess that this pushing of the boundaries of good sense is what motivates us in the end,,,,, well that and the chance of a snow carp cos you sure as hell wont get one in the summer :lol:

28 minutes ago, carpmachine said:

dont you think a break renews your enthusiasm and gets you thinking rather than being set in your ways

Quiet the opposite cm, my job can be quite stressful to say the least, if I don't go fishing at least once a month I'll literally go mental. Fishing is my reset button, I need it. I don't struggle with enthusiasm at all buddy, too much of it is probs my problem!

2 hours ago, cyborx said:

i am finding it almost impossible to motivate myself to get back out there.

Thats a very valid point mate... Those that have fished a bit through this years cold will be seeing the buds and Dafs now and a bit of fish movement and notice clearly how things have woken up, natural motivation..... Any one turning up after a break will most probably have a slightly different outlook for a few sessions, with muddy banks, bare trees and starting from scratch on the fish front.  I think the real benefit from fishing the winter, is being able to hit the ground running as soon as things kick off, especially on a fairly new water..... I, too , am finding the motivation to get stuck in to some fishing, a little hard to come by at the moment.... The winter break has given me far too many distractions especially on the DIY front at home and with family... The recent break in the weather has seen me up to my neck in sorting both my parents gardens out..... I've written off my "session" water for at least another month, although I'll still walk it and plop some bait in.....

This thread "Time management".... What a great subject..... I take my hat off to all those guys with full time woirk, families,pets etc, that can still manage their time enough to squeeze in their fishing and catch a few..... I've always struggled with "Time management", being very much an all or nothing kind of person...... My conscience is telling me to be sensible for a change right now, get ahead on the domestic front and then give it my all on the fishing front for a few months.... I like to be relaxed when fishing, with as few distractions as possible. :)

1 hour ago, B.C. said:

Those that have fished a bit through this years cold will be seeing the buds and Dafs

It's the third time this year I've seen them but the snow kept killing them all lol......

1 hour ago, B.C. said:

I, too , am finding the motivation to get stuck in to some fishing, a little hard to come by at the moment....

The best solution to this is to not go fishing - I guarantee you'll be gagging to wet a line within a month.

1 hour ago, B.C. said:

I take my hat off to all those guys with full time woirk, families,pets etc, that can still manage their time enough to squeeze in their fishing and catch a few.....

Agree. It can be tricky sometimes and can take some serious commitment/dedication....

I work an hour away from my house and I arrive at work more than an hour early every day... it works out about a day in total per week I work completely free of charge (I'm salaried with no overtime).... that's 4 days a month.... nearly 7 weeks a year I work completely for free...... it makes it a minimum 12 hr day for me every day....

I do this for the sole reason I can get out a couple of hours early every third Friday to get down the lake without the boss complaining. I won't tell you how much that work is worth in £££ but believe me it's a fair bit. Most people would think I'm nuts (I probably am) but it's part of how I manage my time to give myself the best chance of catching the fish I'm chasing. It's a commitment I'm prepared to make, I make the time to make it happen.

And I aint even got kids!!!!!!