Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
carpmachine

TIME MANAGEMENT

7 hours ago, yonny said:

Quiet the opposite cm, my job can be quite stressful to say the least, if I don't go fishing at least once a month I'll literally go mental. Fishing is my reset button, I need it. I don't struggle with enthusiasm at all buddy, too much of it is probs my problem!

That’s me also!

On 14/04/2018 at 21:11, carpmachine said:

As a percentage angler, i am amazed at the winter carp boys, look at the results, zilch, is it really worth it and why do you feel the need to go, is it a survival challenge or is it the expectation of catching the uncatchable. I understand the need for solitude, but when i take a fishng rod, i expect a fair chance of a result, you can walk around as many times as you like,  but unless the weather conditons are favourable, you are wasting your time, lesson learned from trout fishing. If its a quest for the uncatchable, do you try to replicate the naturals, maggots as bait, or stick with the boilie bashing thats failed to land these fish through the prolific times, personally between the period of clock change, i wouldnt bother with an asian speceis, why do you and how do you approach it differently from the warmer months if at all.

Who's results are zilch? My mate this winter had 17 fish from mid November to new years eve. He's not fished since due to an operation but I'm sure he would of caught more. Not from a put and take lake either.  

My best season only resulted from an excellent winter period.  Not being big headed but I had 10 fish from November til March from my old syndicate one winter.  1 x 20, 4 x 30 and 5x 40.  

Winter fishing can be excellent.  Effort equals reward.  As long as the lake hasn't got a lid on it then you've got a chance in my book. 

And I keep doing the same thing in winter as I do in summer. Fill it in. Mainly boilie but some particle if the birds are a problem and maggot now and again but it normally use them early winter. 

Read the catch reports Mr Emm, then reflect on your own words, FIRST BITE OF THE YEAR, the thread is not about criticsm, its about best use of time with fishing in mind, that useless time enables you to do all the niggly little jobs that you dont want to waste time on in bite times,yep bruv, you got a cracker as usual, in April, you probably could have racked up on the day and done the same thing, many freezing blanks avoided, just a thought.

1 hour ago, carpmachine said:

Read the catch reports Mr Emm, then reflect on your own words, FIRST BITE OF THE YEAR, the thread is not about criticsm, its about best use of time with fishing in mind, that useless time enables you to do all the niggly little jobs that you dont want to waste time on in bite times,yep bruv, you got a cracker as usual, in April, you probably could have racked up on the day and done the same thing, many freezing blanks avoided, just a thought.

The catch reports are skued!

In winter carp can use the same areas year after year, so why do anglers set up at the opposite end of the lake?

Not being funny, but most anglers turn up and blank because they don't set up on fish. They fish a spot because its big enough for their bivvy, or because its closest to the car park. They haven't done their research on where the carp are likely to be. Or they put fish off at the start by putting enough bait in to feed the whole lake. Yes, I know carp can eat plenty, but not all the time.

I mentioned Earith, I knew roughly where the fish would be, I set up on them. Two blanks when the lake froze over is acceptable. Other anglers in the syndicate blanked because they were not on fish.

I can sypathise with that point of view, the nationally famous commy, just down the hill has a stream running through it, 3 pegs either side of the lake can still produce big bags through the winnter, all others will blank for 5 months, but it has hundreds of fish if not thousands, but the principle may be the same.

22 hours ago, salokcinnodrog said:

The catch reports are skued!

In winter carp can use the same areas year after year, so why do anglers set up at the opposite end of the lake?

Not being funny, but most anglers turn up and blank because they don't set up on fish. They fish a spot because its big enough for their bivvy, or because its closest to the car park. They haven't done their research on where the carp are likely to be. Or they put fish off at the start by putting enough bait in to feed the whole lake. Yes, I know carp can eat plenty, but not all the time.

I mentioned Earith, I knew roughly where the fish would be, I set up on them. Two blanks when the lake froze over is acceptable. Other anglers in the syndicate blanked because they were not on fish.

22 hours ago, carpmachine said:

I can sypathise with that point of view, the nationally famous commy, just down the hill has a stream running through it, 3 pegs either side of the lake can still produce big bags through the winnter, all others will blank for 5 months, but it has hundreds of fish if not thousands, but the principle may be the same.

I didn't get time to make my full point when I posted, I was getting ready for work.

It is the same with other species as well.

I enjoy winter fishing, for numbers of species, but I try to go where the fish are. There is no point fishing certain spots of the river for roach in the winter, because the roach have gone into particular winter quarters. Same with pike, 90% of the river can be devoid of fish, they are all crammed into the two deeper swims next to the roach. 

Exactly the same in a lake, the fish migrate to areas that provide the best winter habitat for them. Carp are no different to any other species in that they go where they are most comfortable.

It may be an area that is broken up by islands, it may be silt beds, dead weed or next to drop-offs or natural food. Not all lakes are the same, some are waters that will produce in winter, others won't. 

Now there are some anglers who blank, they are trying to find the fish. Fishing around the lake, trying a zig, ten blank sessions (or more) until they catch on a 20foot zig in 25feet of water.

Others count their blank sessions, and make a big deal out of blanking; arrive at the lake, cast out, zip up bivvy, smoke their minds blank November through to April, then catch when the fish start to wake up.