Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
jh92

Adjustable zig rig length?

What length are your rigs? I've tried using a 4ft rig but i always get in a tangle casting it out. I've dropped down to 2.5ft and it's still getting tangled. Is there a special technique or length to these? I've tried securing the bait to the float with a bit of pva tape but still getting into trouble lol. Any advice? I'm using the korda adjustable zig kit :)

13 minutes ago, jh92 said:

float

:confused:

Sorry, haven't used one (kruda floating adjustable zig kit?) so can't comment on that; but of all the things I've struggled with - 6" - 10ft hook length has not given me any problems, I've simply used a lead with a long length of line (hook link) with a buoyant bait and occasionally caught a fish or 2.

Float? Um, that's called float fishing, zig fishing is downside up, weight at the bottom with floating bait doing all the floating - still I'm often proved wrong. Sounds more like a funny type of paternoster type thing, similar to floating bait rig used a few years ago? weight on the bottom, float at the top and hook link somewhere in between? hmm sure that's called something else???

Edited by ianain
Cos I can

How deep is the water you are fishing? If it is 12ft or less, then go straight off the lead. Over 12ft then I use a zig float and fish adjustable. There is a knack of getting it out with no tangles but it just takes practice. 

I stop the cast just before the lead hits the water but I then release everything very quickly after. This allows the float to separate from the lead on the way down. If you feel it down on a tight line, there is more risk of the float and rig getting caught up with the mainline and or lead arrangement. 

35 minutes ago, nigewoodcock said:

How deep is the water you are fishing? If it is 12ft or less, then go straight off the lead. Over 12ft then I use a zig float and fish adjustable. There is a knack of getting it out with no tangles but it just takes practice. 

I stop the cast just before the lead hits the water but I then release everything very quickly after. This allows the float to separate from the lead on the way down. If you feel it down on a tight line, there is more risk of the float and rig getting caught up with the mainline and or lead arrangement. 

I wanna use it on the canal mate (cast at showing fish) goes to about 20ft deep, that's the deepest I've found anyway lol

I usually use a foam nugget wrapped around the stem at the top of the float and just nick the hook into it, seems to do the trick for me, although im still learning my trade when it comes to zigs.

18 minutes ago, hutch said:

I usually use a foam nugget wrapped around the stem at the top of the float and just nick the hook into it, seems to do the trick for me, although im still learning my trade when it comes to zigs.

Cheers mate I'll give that a try. 

Are you using a pop up or piece of foam/zig bugs?

Nige is the man when it comes to zigs, but for me you can't beat the fox zig alinga's, most productive combo's have been black foam with either a black or yellow alinga.

I soak my foam in CC Moore's natural blend but that is no longer available, they do seem to prefer sweeter liquids if your looking to dip or foam in anything.

Black on bottom, white on top. Either a ball shape or a barrel. Round about 10mm is the best size I’ve found.

although this weekend, I had 8 takes on a pink 12mm scopex squid popup on the zigs. Plugged with foam, dipped in the scopex squid bait soak, then dusted with the matching stick mix. 

To be fair though, white on top of black would be my first choice. 

When you think about it that makes sense as if the fish are below they will see the black against the white light, and white against the darker light when above, but we all know carp fishing isn't that black & white :lol::lol:

8 hours ago, hutch said:

Nige is the man when it comes to zigs, but for me you can't beat the fox zig alinga's, most productive combo's have been black foam with either a black or yellow alinga.

I soak my foam in CC Moore's natural blend but that is no longer available, they do seem to prefer sweeter liquids if your looking to dip or foam in anything.

I'm gonna pick up some of them fox alingas tonight mate and have a look what stuff they have for me to soak my foam in. I bought some of that nash bug spray last year but can't find it anywhere 👎 

8 hours ago, nigewoodcock said:

Black on bottom, white on top. Either a ball shape or a barrel. Round about 10mm is the best size I’ve found.

although this weekend, I had 8 takes on a pink 12mm scopex squid popup on the zigs. Plugged with foam, dipped in the scopex squid bait soak, then dusted with the matching stick mix. 

I think I've seen these before mate, if they've got anymore adjustable zig kits in I'll try one on a black and white pop up and the other on a piece of foam 👍