Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
bluelabel

Pc woes... Creators Fall update

I hate technology... I have had issues with the win 10, 1709 creators fall upate on my pc... 21 times now its tried to download and install this ####### and to be honest I'm about to launch the thing out the window(sic)

It takes a day (wella couple of hours anyway) to download and a whole day to attempt installation and when it gets to 82% the thing hangs and stays hung... even Microsoft can't fix it... the pc has now gone away to have an SSD  drive and a fresh win 10 install and use the 2tb hdd as a data drive... posting from my phone and I can just about make out the tiny text on this thing... I hate getting old... and as I approach 60 my patience wears thin at the slightest hold up that can be avoided... for those waiting for my Redmire write up, I aplogise for the delay I'll sort it out once I get the pooter back working... All the best chaps, tight lines8)

In a few days the new Ubuntu OS for Linux should be coming out, so here's your chance to get a system that's user-friendly, not to mention free.  You could call whoever's upgrading your computer and ask if they can in throw it in, or if you can find someone with the install disc do it yourself when it comes back.  If the new system isn't released on time he may have the current 64 bit install disc, (which is what I have on all of mine).

Yoof o' 't'day... :lol: many thanks for the offer of the Linux/Ubuntu disc... (although here I really am totally in the dark) the pc is already off and being fitted with the SSD ready for a fresh clean and up to date install... 

For the uninitiated the latest update to Win 10 is called Creators Fall 1709... (god knows why) but it has screwed up millions of computers (mine one of 'em) once the install is complete I shall be turning the "update" feature off...  and this will be the last windows product I ever use...

I have had issues with this "update" along with millions of others to the tune of wasting nearly 21 days trying to get the thing to load successfully... the wife and I were discussing buying a Mac (that in itself was a major event as I can't stand Apple's Iron control over your own files) such were the woes that windows have wrought upon its customers...

1709 had issues with certain security software and AV products.

once the install is complete I shall be turning the "update" feature off... 

Apple's Iron control over your own files

As a sys admin I really do not recommend this, in today's world of very clever exploits one of the only fights you have against them is making sure your software is regularly updated or you will miss vital; security patches to applications and windows itself. 

How do you mean you dont have to put your files on icloud drive if you dont want they can stay local to the machine.

Just about to start putting works network build of Ubuntu Bionic Beaver base install looks nice, adapting back to Gnome Shell could be interesting for some of my users though, but i like it.

4 hours ago, bluelabel said:

Linux/Ubuntu disc... (although here I really am totally in the dark)

There's no need to be, Ubuntu does it all for you; you can run it along side windusn't until you realise there is another way other than windoze.

4 hours ago, bluelabel said:

I have had issues with this ... along with millions of others

nuff said.

Good luck anyway blue, fingers crossed :)

On 25 April 2018 at 13:14, bluelabel said:

Yoof o' 't'day... :lol: many thanks for the offer of the Linux/Ubuntu disc... (although here I really am totally in the dark) the pc is already off and being fitted with the SSD ready for a fresh clean and up to date install... 

For the uninitiated the latest update to Win 10 is called Creators Fall 1709... (god knows why) but it has screwed up millions of computers (mine one of 'em) once the install is complete I shall be turning the "update" feature off...  and this will be the last windows product I ever use...

I have had issues with this "update" along with millions of others to the tune of wasting nearly 21 days trying to get the thing to load successfully... the wife and I were discussing buying a Mac (that in itself was a major event as I can't stand Apple's Iron control over your own files) such were the woes that windows have wrought upon its customers...

On 25 April 2018 at 15:22, hutch said:

1709 had issues with certain security software and AV products.

As a sys admin I really do not recommend this, in today's world of very clever exploits one of the only fights you have against them is making sure your software is regularly updated or you will miss vital; security patches to applications and windows itself. 

How do you mean you dont have to put your files on icloud drive if you dont want they can stay local to the machine.

Just about to start putting works network build of Ubuntu Bionic Beaver base install looks nice, adapting back to Gnome Shell could be interesting for some of my users though, but i like it.

I got to the stage that Windows updates caused so many crashes, lock-outs etc that I turned off updates myself, and as soon as I did that the problems caused by them stopped. I also found Windows 98 and XP more user friendly and compatible with other programs with no conflicts than Vista and 7/8!

In the end it was the 'free' Windows 10 operating system that killed my laptop, so I basically now  just do everything on a cheap Alcatel One Touch phone and my ipad. 

Not being funny, but if an operating system is designed properly, it shouldn't need almost daily security updates and patches.  I can understand anti-virus updates, but not operating systems on the whole.

I know a friend was working on the MS Longhorn development for them, and most of the developers had their licence key rights taken away and Vista was released in its basic form using customers as the test and development. 

the majority of MS's R&D is done 'in the field' these days, they use paying customers as their test bed, and that is why i only use win7.

its free, it runs my alienware pc seamlessly, its compatible with almost everything, its free, its user friendly, i can do all my own maintenance, its free, aaaannd! did i mention its free?

1 hour ago, salokcinnodrog said:

Not being funny, but if an operating system is designed properly, it shouldn't need almost daily security updates and patches.  I can understand anti-virus updates, but not operating systems on the whole.

You're right in principle, the reality though is that viruses and malware etc.. are released daily.

Where Linux is concerned, the other updates are primarily because they operate on such a vast range of hardware that there will be some compatibility problems somewhere along the line.

The devices that you use are based on Linux.

The upgrading is to deal with new technologies which are released frequently.

7 hours ago, cyborx said:

the majority of MS's R&D is done 'in the field' these days, they use paying customers as their test bed, and that is why i only use win7.

its free, it runs my alienware pc seamlessly, its compatible with almost everything, its free, its user friendly, i can do all my own maintenance, its free, aaaannd! did i mention its free?

Sadly, my laptop that was running Win7 was just about totally killed by the free upgrade to 10. I have managed to get back most of my documents, but lost loads of music and pictures. The laptop itself no longer runs media player or Office.

You can load Ubuntu into memory and use it to save your files to an external drive (USB stick etc.. providing Windoesn't hasn't mangled the hard drive), and maybe, you could even load it permanently on to your laptop, you can start to use it again, especially since you've got nothing to lose. I can soon get a disk in the post to you.

13 hours ago, salokcinnodrog said:

Sadly, my laptop that was running Win7 was just about totally killed by the free upgrade to 10. I have managed to get back most of my documents, but lost loads of music and pictures. The laptop itself no longer runs media player or Office.

fortunately for me, i saw the carnage that the update did to the wifes lappy, flatly refuse to update my PC and its still as fast and reliable as the day i got it :lol:

I now have a working pc.... it was a convoluted route using a SSD and a fresh copy of Windows10 from Microsoft. The SSD  is now the boot drive containing all vital programs and my 2Tb HDD is now a mass storage unit... its certainly a lot faster on boot (about 20 seconds from "switch on" to ready to use)... as it was a fresh install I had to configure the pc to how I wanted it and create a profile for t'wife, but the downside was that stripping the old windows from the HDD meant that I lost a few bits and bobs... mainly my .pst file and some old ancillary stuff... still I'm up and running again, although despite my dislike of apple products, a mac will probably be my next bit of hardware qhen this one pops its clogs... I've had enough of Windows bloatware