Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
joegpp

Pop ups not rolling

pictures

there is a couple of pictures of whats happening, I have a 16mm gardener rolling table and a 12/16mm sausage rolling thing, I've tried everything I can think of but it keeps happening

Adding oil

adding water to the mix to make it more soft

using a lower mm sausage for the table

adding a bit of base mix on the table

could it be the mix I'm using? It's off ebay and you just add water

anyone know why this is happening? thank you! 

Just now, emmcee said:

The sausage is too big. In my experience alot of pop up mixes expand a bit. You'll probably findthat if you used a 14mm/15mm sausage your baits won't split like they have

yeah thats what I thought I tried with 12mm though and still the same problem 

The mix looks too dry to me, a drop of water should sort it out.

When you extrude boilie mix, it can expand a bit once it has left the gun, the odd shapes are from using the wrong size nozzle in your gun.

For a few pop-ups, you're probably better off hand rolling them.

Just now, ianain said:

The mix looks too dry to me, a drop of water should sort it out.

When you extrude boilie mix, it can expand a bit once it has left the gun, the odd shapes are from using the wrong size nozzle in your gun.

For a few pop-ups, you're probably better off hand rolling them.

So it isn't anything to do with the cheaper ebay mix that doesn't need eggs? 

I agree for a few pop ups I'm better off hand rolling them but I spend £25 for the rolling table and sausage maker so I could have perfect baits so thats a little annoying maybe I should send them back 

I'll go try adding more water again and see where that gets me

thank you

8 minutes ago, joegpp said:

So it isn't anything to do with the cheaper ebay mix that doesn't need eggs? 

There a many recipes which use egg powder, basically you are replacing the water that was in the eggs.

Can't comment on the quality of the mix and understand your disappointment, but did you follow the mixing instructions to the letter?

Note: didn't realise emcee had already posted the same :oops:

Emmcee nailed it, the sausages are the wrong size for the rolling table.  Also the mix looks a little on the dry side.  What have you used liquids wise.  In my view egg or even better just the egg white is a better binder for pop ups than water or liquid egg.  

29 minutes ago, hutch said:

Emmcee nailed it, the sausages are the wrong size for the rolling table.  Also the mix looks a little on the dry side.  What have you used liquids wise.  In my view egg or even better just the egg white is a better binder for pop ups than water or liquid egg.  

Ah okay thanks everyone yeah I agree its probably too big, do you think I would be okay to the table and sausage maker then? theres nothing in the description about if you use a 16mm you need 14mm sausages 

I haven't used the tables, 14mm sausage on a 16mm table will give you dumbells, the size of the nozzle is generally a fraction smaller than the table size to get round baits.

Could you not roll out a 16mm sausage with the rolling table, then try rolling the sausage just a little more so it is slightly slimmer than the finished 16mm size you will end up with a little bit of waste.

Other tips would include make your paste then wrap it in cling film and pop it in the fridge for 20mins this should make it absorb the liquids right through and firm up making rolling easier.   Get some egg white sachets from the supermarket and pop on these into the powder before mixing will give the pop up a nice hard skin but remain soft inside.  Make sure you get a decent pop up mix as there are some poor ones out there. 

1 hour ago, hutch said:

I haven't used the tables, 14mm sausage on a 16mm table will give you dumbells, the size of the nozzle is generally a fraction smaller than the table size to get round baits.

Could you not roll out a 16mm sausage with the rolling table, then try rolling the sausage just a little more so it is slightly slimmer than the finished 16mm size you will end up with a little bit of waste.

Other tips would include make your paste then wrap it in cling film and pop it in the fridge for 20mins this should make it absorb the liquids right through and firm up making rolling easier.   Get some egg white sachets from the supermarket and pop on these into the powder before mixing will give the pop up a nice hard skin but remain soft inside.  Make sure you get a decent pop up mix as there are some poor ones out there. 

There were only a few pop-up mixes I found reliable to get consistent pop-ups, Richworth Popup mix, original, Nutrabaits pop-up mix and Mainline Polaris pop-up mix.

The Nutrabaits worked best being dry pan cooked, not being boiled. The other two were the same but you could boil them.

I tried using 'just add water' mixes and found they simply did not give long lasting pop-ups, and I resorted to mixing them with egg white

1 hour ago, hutch said:

Well I tried the trying to roll out a 16mm sausage and then roll it a bit more but that didn't work, I managed to just roll out 12mm and make some pretty bad dumbell pop ups but hey its something! I've messaged the seller too I would rather my money back, the mix is fine I can roll them by hand fine with no cracks so it's gotta be the sausage rolling thing.. its only £25 but £25 goes towards my new reels woop woop 

As said above, the mix looks too dry and is also sticking on the table. 

Best pop up mix I’ve used is ccmoore. About a third of a packet does a 1 egg mix. And at 14mm that’s about 175-200 odd pop ups depending on how you reuse the wastage. 

Personally wouldn’t buy unknown from eBay. I used DNA pop up mix and that was shockingly bad. Steer clear. 

I have a half tub of mainline polaris in my garage that I doubt I’ll ever use if you want it. 

Edited by greekskii
Free pop up mix

1 hour ago, greekskii said:

As said above, the mix looks too dry and is also sticking on the table. 

Best pop up mix I’ve used is ccmoore. About a third of a packet does a 1 egg mix. And at 14mm that’s about 175-200 odd pop ups depending on how you reuse the wastage. 

Personally wouldn’t buy unknown from eBay. I used DNA pop up mix and that was shockingly bad. Steer clear. 

I have a half tub of mainline polaris in my garage that I doubt I’ll ever use if you want it. 

Don't free pop-up mix, it was guilty😖😅  (see edit)

Seriously I wouldn't buy from an unknown seller on ebay either. I must admit I have never used CCMoore's mix, so can't comment on its effectiveness. I would be interested to know how long the pop-ups last for, and take and hold flavours.

Also finally after my broadband at home and being able to view pics, that mix is miles too dry. It may hand roll, because of the oil on your hands, yet on a table no chance.

You could try adding other liquids to wet it as well, Corn Steep Liquor, the liquid from a tin of tuna in brine, Multimino. Mix the liquids and flavours (and egg), then gradually add base mix until its only just too wet to roll. Leave it in the bowl, and cover with cellophane for 20 minutes or so. Then roll, it should be right, but may occasionally need a tad more powder.

42 minutes ago, salokcinnodrog said:

CCMoore's mix, so can't comment on its effectiveness. I would be interested to know how long the pop-ups last for, and take and hold flavours

I have 14mm baits holding up size 4 hooks for a good few days. But I use neat pop up mix with a tad of dye for colour. 10-15ml of flavour and 1 egg. Simple but effective. Colour holds fairly well, and they still smell after a couple of days in the lake. 

On 8 May 2018 at 12:16, snowman01 said:

I don't see why anyone would use a different mix to their bottom baits. Forget about these dodgy inconsistent mixes and make some corkballs! 

As much as I would love to agree, I found that corkball pop-ups have a few problems:

The mix needs to have coarse ingredients, especially birdfoods, sieved out otherwise the coating around the corkball will come away from the cork.

You can't boil corkball pop-ups for any longer than 45 seconds, otherwise you end up with a gap between boilie mix and cork, which can allow water in.

You have to knot the hookbait on rather than pierce it with a needle.

The result of all is that you end up with just a corkball on the hair.

I found in many cases, to my normal boilie mix, adding a few ounces of sodium caseinate produced a pop-up boilie very similar to my freebies.

1 hour ago, salokcinnodrog said:

As much as I would love to agree, I found that corkball pop-ups have a few problems:

The mix needs to have coarse ingredients, especially birdfoods, sieved out otherwise the coating around the corkball will come away from the cork.

You can't boil corkball pop-ups for any longer than 45 seconds, otherwise you end up with a gap between boilie mix and cork, which can allow water in.

You have to knot the hookbait on rather than pierce it with a needle.

The result of all is that you end up with just a corkball on the hair.

I found in many cases, to my normal boilie mix, adding a few ounces of sodium caseinate produced a pop-up boilie very similar to my freebies.

All valid points, however I'm sold on using baitscrews with popups, I do so exclusively and have zero dramas with them. The only time I would need to thread a popup on a hair is if I'm fishing a snowman. In this case I'd either use a plain corkball or any old popup off the shelf, as IMHO making a special popup to tip your bottom bait is of minimal importance. 

35 minutes ago, snowman01 said:

All valid points, however I'm sold on using baitscrews with popups, I do so exclusively and have zero dramas with them. The only time I would need to thread a popup on a hair is if I'm fishing a snowman. In this case I'd either use a plain corkball or any old popup off the shelf, as IMHO making a special popup to tip your bottom bait is of minimal importance. 

I tie a uni knot loop at the end for snowman bairs, a bottom bait goes on first, the pop-up goes in the loop which is then tightened up around it. 

Confidence is a big factor, my usual snowman tipper pop-up is a garlic spice pop-up recipe I have used for years in various incarnations; cork dust, pop-up mix, base mix with sodium caseinate have all been used, and all have caught.

10 minutes ago, cyborx said:

Cheese???

then again its always been a good bait :wink:

Straight from the milk, a milk protein, precipitated with a sodium compound, hence sodium caseinate. Unlike calcium caseinate, it floats😉

Both are types of casein; one of the two proteins in milk, the other being whey protein.

13 hours ago, salokcinnodrog said:

I tie a uni knot loop at the end for snowman bairs, a bottom bait goes on first, the pop-up goes in the loop which is then tightened up around it. 

Confidence is a big factor, my usual snowman tipper pop-up is a garlic spice pop-up recipe I have used for years in various incarnations; cork dust, pop-up mix, base mix with sodium caseinate have all been used, and all have caught.

I see why you might take confidence in having a special tipper, but I have every confidence in it being unimportant enough not to worry about. I have to say I'm really not a fan of your mounting option either, seems like a pain in the rear! But each to their own, it would be boring if we all did and thought the same. 

On 26/04/2018 at 19:37, joegpp said:

pictures

there is a couple of pictures of whats happening, I have a 16mm gardener rolling table and a 12/16mm sausage rolling thing, I've tried everything I can think of but it keeps happening

Adding oil

adding water to the mix to make it more soft

using a lower mm sausage for the table

adding a bit of base mix on the table

could it be the mix I'm using? It's off ebay and you just add water

anyone know why this is happening? thank you! 

I would actually say your mix looks a little sticky. Your definitely suffering with boilies that are to big for your rolling table. I'd also coat the rolling table in a little hemp oil or similar. It looks like the mix is sticking and taring your baits apart. 

Edited by Gazlaaar

I've not rolled baits for ages but I recognise the issue from your pics - sausages too thick - you end up with hollow blobs dragged out of shape.

The nozzle doesn't determine the exact width of the sausages  - sounds crazy but if they cant slide accross a surface they will bunch up and become thicker, same as if you stretch them out they are thinner.