Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
motherhooker

New carp don't know what a floater is

1 hour ago, motherhooker said:

Had new double figure carp put in our club water won't take floaters they just drift past them 

Any ideas to get them going 

Think it may be they've not seem them before 

Just keep bunging a few in there every now and then. If they're peckish they'll soon start munching 

3 hours ago, motherhooker said:

Had new double figure carp put in our club water won't take floaters they just drift past them 

How long ago where they introduced to the lake? 

It could be a case of unfamiliar surroundings(If a recent stocking)  and being extremely cautious with everything until they get settled in.......I could also be completely wrong and talking tripe 🤣😂 but that’s my thoughts on it

On 06/05/2018 at 12:30, motherhooker said:

When you say floaters i assume you mean standard mixers ? I've always found that smaller surface baits like cat biscuits or pellets get a better response but they can be a pain to keep on the hook.

I have a couple of local waters where the carp will not take floaters in open water. Sneak behind the rushes and into the reedy  channels and the same carp will take floaters.

Until the carp recognise floaters as food they may ignore them. Try using floating coarse pellets as they may well start taking them, recognising the 'taste'

https://www.purepellet.co.uk/product/floating-expander-pellets/

On 10/05/2018 at 20:40, salokcinnodrog said:

I have a couple of local waters where the carp will not take floaters in open water. Sneak behind the rushes and into the reedy  channels and the same carp will take floaters.

one reason for that nick could be that in open water they are seen as a danger but when they have drifted into the margins/back channels they are considered safe maybe?

15 minutes ago, cyborx said:

one reason for that nick could be that in open water they are seen as a danger but when they have drifted into the margins/back channels they are considered safe maybe?

Possibly😉

The park lake I have fished for years, and they used to take in open water, had a fair few fish, but the past 5 or 6 years the carp will only take in the rushes in the channel behind the island. Even there the carp are very cagey!

On the other, my old club water,  I could only get the carp to take next to the rushes anyway.