Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

I set myself a little target list for the estate lake this season and on it is a 20lber off the surface. 

Now I had one on Saturday afternoon at 23.04lb on an overdepth zig and me and my friend were debating is it counted as surface caught or not? 

Between us we couldn’t work it out. It kind of is as it took the bait off the top, however because of it being anchored by the lead it isn’t. 

My target still stands as I never considered an overdepth zig as a method to tick the target off. 

How deep is the area u were fishing and how far up was the zip....i think anything in the top 1/4 should count...eg if it was 6ft u were 1.5 ft under surface...surface caught ??

25 minutes ago, greekskii said:

It was only about 4ft and the zig was on the surface so I could see it. 

Mate.....you answered your own question 🤣

in my opinion it’s irelevant that the zig is anchored the “bait” was on the top the carp took it off the top and therefore it was caught off the top. 

If you was fishing a surface controller and the line back to the rod and dropped slightly under the surface you wouldn’t say it was caught off the bottom!  

5 minutes ago, spr1985 said:

“bait” was on the top the carp took it off the top and therefore it was caught off the top. 

True....surface caught 🎣👍

20 hours ago, greekskii said:

I set myself a little target list for the estate lake this season and on it is a 20lber off the surface. 

Now I had one on Saturday afternoon at 23.04lb on an overdepth zig and me and my friend were debating is it counted as surface caught or not? 

Imo, as long as it was over-depth, that's target achieved Vik.

I completely agree it was a surface caught fish. However, it sounds like you are doubting it, as when you set the challenge to yourself, you made an assumption that it would be a controller / free lined caught fish. 

Therefore, to satisfy yourself, get out there in this hot weather and fire out some mixers!!!

it would be a zig caught fish to me, dont think i would be able (in my own mind) to justify the fact that it was pinned to the lake bed.

what if it was a lower than PB surface caught but a definate PB zig caught, how would you describe it then?

just gonna leave this here :lol:

21 hours ago, greekskii said:

zig was on the surface

A fish caught off the top then........ Mission accomplished, well in mate.

Years back when my floater gear wouldn't cast far enough, we would always revert to fishing an over depth zig (As it is now known).... There wasn't a name for it then. As far as we were concerned, we were surface fishing. :)

Edited by B.C.

7 minutes ago, nigewoodcock said:

Just keep adjusting them until you get some action. Zigging can be a very busy way of fishing if you don’t find the depth straight away. 

It’s certainly a steep learning curve....but I’ll keep going and see what happens 😁

6 minutes ago, nigewoodcock said:

Drop them down a foot. Sounds like the fish are hitting the line between the rod and the lead. Or you’ve got a small fish that’s taken the zig perhaps. I’ve had roach do that to me 

heres a connundrum for you nige, two rods aprox 2 rod length apart but in line and on the bottom, no action so i decided to try a zig as this water seems to favour them.

starting at C 18" and leaving it for 15 mins i started to get liners, every two or three mins the bobbin would slowly lift giving a half doz beeps or so but ON THE OTHER ROD!!

i wound it in and checked the bait then chucked it out again after loading another bag, then wound the zig in,,, put a 12" longer zig on, baited and put it back on the spot.

now,, in all the time it took me to change the zig (remember i am no zigmaster) there were no indications on the bottom bait but within seconds of the zig going back out they were off again, same pattern.

this happened with two more changes as well, finally i gave up on the zig and changed it for a shotgun to target the bream under my feet and guess what? no more beeps from the second rod for the rest of the day 🤔

Strange one that Jon. 

Could be that where you were casting the lead on the zig to, was disturbing a shoal of fish? And they wanted to be where the lead was. As soon as you remove it, they settle back down there?? God knows matey 

15 hours ago, nigewoodcock said:

Strange one that Jon. 

Could be that where you were casting the lead on the zig to, was disturbing a shoal of fish? And they wanted to be where the lead was. As soon as you remove it, they settle back down there?? God knows matey 

puzzled me too but like all good explorers i shall be going back and repeating the experiment :lol: :lol: