Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
salokcinnodrog

Fishing for Love

I have an urge to fish, it is in my blood, I love to fish.

I read so many posts on Facebook, other forums and on here about 'how to catch big fish', and admit, yes, I do like catching big carp, but love just fishing. On the 'Salokcinnodrog' thread I mention about how my Nazeing plans get messed up by work and life, but I also mention about going to fish on a lake with smaller fish, just for fun.

I always wonder why other people fish, what drives them. Is it the urge to fish, big fish or like me just because they love it.

Give an insight into what makes you tick

Well nick....as you will know from my lack of additions in the catch sections I certainly don’t fish purely for the captures.....like you I have an indescribable love for it and everything that goes with it  just being on the bank in amongst nature and the possibility of catching  is enough for me. 

The buzz of what may happen 

the random chats with strangers 

watching listening and seeing waters come to life through the differing hours that I’m out

and of course the elation of hearing the buzzer scream and the fish eventually slipping over the cord 

the only thing that beats any of the above is putting a smile on my partner / children’s faces

For me Carp fishing is being a part of nature, learning it, knowing it and respecting it so much so that it reveals it’s secrets to us. The pursuit of what is elusive but attainable, a perpetual series of occasions for hope. (last bit stolen from Dave Lane)

But that is what it is. I love it, love being in nature, love seeing a lake go through the seasons. I just wrote a piece on this exact subject too... (I wasnt going to publish it yet but its below). I don't think I'd actually function in society if I didnt get my fishing time. It genuinely affects me! It's that much a part of my life. To be honest it is the one thing that has seen my through hard times, where you can just switch off from the world and focus on relaxing and enjoying where you are.

anyway, my little bit about fishing the same place all year round, prompted by a friend asking me if I found it boring or not doing it.

There is something magical about spending 12 months on the same lake. Immersing yourself in to the grandeur of nature. Witnessing the life cycle of the lake.

The magic of spring when the lifeless looking lake starts to show new signs of life. The snowdrops and first buds signalling the warmer weather is coming. Fish starting to appear from their winter slumber, returning to old haunts to soak up every last drop of the spring sun.

Watching spring take grip and transition in to summer, rendering once fishable spots inaccessible, various species spawning and creating new life, the leaves growing and greening, a range of flowers showing off in various colours.

Summer hits and the hot weather brings out the hatches, the air thick with bugs with evenings spent with the sky full of bats, dragonflys darting, young birds exploring their new homes and the fish doing their annual rituals to produce the next generation of our quarry.

Then we get to my favourite time of the year. Autumn. Watching the green, lush vegetation turn to drastic hues of oranges and reds is incredible, then falling from the trees and becoming crunchy under foot. Stunning sunsets and cloud formations as weather systems chop and change. The fish at peak weights as they stock up for Winter with angler footfall becoming less and less until you are left with the very few souls who are invested so much that the bleakest of periods does not bother them.

Plants have died off and morning frosts make the landscape sparkle. It may be cold, wet and muddy but the little melted patch on the bivvy from the steam of the kettle shows the commitment and hope of the few. The ice starts to thaw and the winter's sun becomes warmer and warmer until we arrive back where we started.

In between all this there is the magical moment your alarm signals that you’ve tricked one of your quarry. Memories are forever ingrained in time, never fading from the memory of those lucky enough to be part these special moments.

A year in the same place isn't boring. It's magical.

I've always been fascinated by fish..... Used to net them from the garden pond as a kid, just to look at them.... All fish, roach , perch , chub , carp even minnows fascinated me.... Think it was just the mystery of fish at the time. I like to think there still is a certain mystery, even though we know a lot more about them now. I spend more time walking the banks than actually fishing. But I'm more interested in the fish and their behaviour, than actually catching them..... I just like watching them and admiring them. Whether they are on the unhooking mat, gently being slipped back, or lazing in the lilies..... Doesn't matter to me, as I would have had my fix by just seeing them...…. You can observe them all you like and just when you think you've got them sussed they will move the goal posts and do something completely out of the ordinary (to us)….. You can play the percentage game and stick to your guns and grind a few out, or you can do your own thing, fall flat on your back side and every now and then have a red letter day, we all have the choice and we can chop and change between the two.... That's what I love about it, there are no rules as to how you approach things,  and the constant conundrum and thought process that angling provides, that lives with me 24/7 is what gets me through a bad day or makes a traffic jam more bearable.

Fishing at 1st light or the few hours into darkness and the "witching hour".  They are what do it for me.

The bit in the middle is enjoyable, but I really live for the 4 hours each side of night time.

If you could bottle the feeling that a new dawn brings, you'd make a fortune.

12 minutes ago, yonny said:

Agree, first light is my favourite time to be on the bank without doubt.

No better time Yonny. That's why I hate fishing at lakes that have a 7am opening time. During the Summer months, you've missed the best 3 hours unless you're on an overnighter.

One of my best experiences is fishing Normanhurst Lake in a small village just up the road. It's a Bexhill and Hastings AC water, very, very intimate, and right old fashioned, natural "estate lake"

No night fishing, but sensibly you can start fishing from 4am. A fairly lengthy walk through the woods in the dark, so you just took the basics. The muddy track eventually rises uphill, and as you clamber over the top, you see the lake. And the decent walk required means that you are surrounded by peace and solitude.. no cars whizzing by, no noise at all, save for nature.

At 4am on a Summers morning, everything is still, the mist coming off the lake, and you can just make out the bubbles from the Tench and fizzing carp and you're the 1st one there so can pick the best swim. There are only 4 or 5 swims on the lake, and a couple of them are pretty tight so you hoped and prayed that you were the first one there. 

Nothing else takes me back to my childhood like fishing this lake at dawn. As I say, it's a feeling you cannot buy.

normanhurst-lake-01 (1).jpg

Edited by smufter

I have said this before, true fishermen and hunters are not created, they are born that way, just like dogs, who cannot be taught to chase a rabbit, they either will or will not. If they will, then given enough chances they will catch the rabbits they chase.

Humans have the gene or not, if they have, they are then moulded by someone or themselves into the final thing and angler or hunter.

No one encouraged my fishing etc, I just simply new I had to do it and sort out ways of doing it, eventually meeting folk on the way that helped me.

I have been a field sports person all my life and every time I go out I learn a little more and the day that stops I hope they plant me 6 feet down.

My love affair with fishing began when I was 5 or 6 when we was on a family walk and I found a float. I asked my dad what was it used for so he explained.  Since then I've been hooked ( pardon the pun). I said I wanted to fish. I can even remember the first day my dad took me. Armed with a 10ft glass fibre Shakespeare rod and reel we went down our local brook. My dad set up the rod with the float I'd found and first cast my dad caught a roach, I'll rephrase that, he caught a whopper haha. That was it, he was the best dad ever catching a fish even though he was never a fisherman himself I might add, but for me it started a passion and one that I can't see stopping anytime soon. 

As has been mentioned, some of the sights we get to see are simply breath taking. We see things some people will never see. Nature at it's best, be it mist rising off the lake on a summers morning or a cold crisp frost on a winters morning.  And if we are lucky a fish to go with such sights and sounds. I love fishing, fact.  

I've recently totted up the waters I've fished over my life. 56 waters in all, I'd say out of all those waters I've probably caught from 75 percent of them. The others I've done guest sessions or only ever fished once so never really got the chance to get to know them. Out of all those waters, only 3 have ever gotten under my skin in a big way. 

This can be quite a dangerous aspect of fishing, I've seen many a relationship suffer due to the almost obsessive grip some of these waters hold. It's not all about fish either, it's the whole package a water has to offer. I'm still not sure what it is myself but I recognise the feeling as soon as I walk a waters banks for the very first time, it's almost like a spell. I mentioned it's not all about fish and that in itself is probably a half truth. I should reiterate, it's not necessarily the size but the history and the look of the fish. The degree in difficulty also plays a big role, the visual aspect and most importantly that spell. I think I can link that spell to waters of old, big gravel pits of the past, untrodden banks and swims, there's always a feeling of mystery because it's either never been caught or it just isn't talked about if it was. 

I have spent years looking, years fishing different waters and when it clicks, it clicks and this year I'm about to return to one of these waters when the traditional closed season ends. 

The love for me is the place I fish, a very rare feeling that comes my way but it's a feeling I know instantly and it's also a feeling that keeps me going.

8 hours ago, Gazlaaar said:

The love for me is the place I fish, a very rare feeling that comes my way but it's a feeling I know instantly

I completely get that mate..... Not always an easy thing to find.... Atmosphere is key to enjoying our bank time imo….. Did a 48hr blank a couple of days back, the local Cuckoo was my wake up call in case I overslept, a grass snake came through the back of my bivvy under the bed chair and straight between my legs and into the lake...… These little things remind me that I am but a guest and a lot of kharma related behaviour kicks in automatically for me.... Look after the lake, it's jewels and the wildlife , and you will feel welcome and relaxed 😃

6 minutes ago, B.C. said:

I completely get that mate..... Not always an easy thing to find.... Atmosphere is key to enjoying our bank time imo….. Did a 48hr blank a couple of days back, the local Cuckoo was my wake up call in case I overslept, a grass snake came through the back of my bivvy under the bed chair and straight between my legs and into the lake...… These little things remind me that I am but a guest and a lot of kharma related behaviour kicks in automatically for me.... Look after the lake, it's jewels and the wildlife , and you will feel welcome and relaxed 😃

I have recently purchased a couple of books by Jim Gibbinson, Carp Sense and Gravel Pit Carp. Mr Gibbinson used to fish a lot of pits in his time for carp, Bream and tench, he would always pull off as soon as anywhere got too populated for his liking. Looking through the many photos in both books reminded me of where I feel happiest. In truth, when I look back to how these pits used to be compared to now, there just not the same. Not that I'm complaining, that's just the way it is. These places are very thin on the ground. I don't expect anyone else to understand but you'll know when a place gets right under your skin. We're all different, with different aspirations and motivations, this feeling is mine and it' why I keep going. 

5 minutes ago, Gazlaaar said:

anywhere got too populated for his liking.

Common challenge these days imo, especially this time of year..... This season I'm juggling things to try and go mid week as often as possible..... fewer sessions, but I'm finding my fishing to be more enjoyable with fewer anglers about.... Like you say, we are all different... All the best mate.

12 hours ago, Gazlaaar said:

The love for me is the place I fish, a very rare feeling that comes my way but it's a feeling I know instantly and it's also a feeling that keeps me going.

Taverham gave me that feeling. I was learning, enjoying and it had an atmosphere that kept me going back for years, for the fish, but also the whole ambience. I even took Liz there, and she 'got it', even if she did insist on a shower every day😖😅. I could never go back, the atmosphere has changed with new fish stocks replacing ottered originals.

I remember a couple of waters where carp anglers were few and far between; Barham A and B Pit, Taverham at the start, although not at the start of the season, Woodrising/Cranworth, even Booton. Now you wouldn't get a swim any day.

I still just love fishing, although I'm not particularly sociable, but at Nazeing I can find an out of the way swim if I want anytime, even if it is not particularly scenic.

6 hours ago, Dannygooner said:

Agree with the above about the other anglers situation. What's this "social" stuff about these days in fishing? If I want a social ill meet my mates down the boozer. If I go fishing I hope not to see another person let alone fisherman if possible. Call me anti social ( I'm not in normal day to day life I promise lol) but I go fishing to get away from it all and to tune in with my surroundings. Nothing worse than arriving at a water to see its full of anglers. I've been known to turn back and go home. Like bc said, weekdays are always the aim now. I blame Nash for this social nonsense 😂

Depends. We have at least one social a year with responsive baits. It’s so the lads from all over the country can meet each other and have a bit of a laugh. 

I’ll happily have a trip with a few mates. This Friday just gone I was fishing next door to a mate because I was at odds of where to fish anyway so decided to drop on  there next to him. Another mate came for a visit in the evening. 

I am like you though, I hate others when fishing. Getting in my way and fishing the areas I want to, etc. I do like to be left alone at times. But if I get on with someone then I’ll happily get the kettle on and have a good natter. 

8 hours ago, Dannygooner said:

What's this "social" stuff about these days in fishing?

Don't mind too much if a lake has been hired for just that...…. Gives people a chance to meet face to face, who might otherwise only speak on line. And as long as people are made aware beforehand that a social is taking place on a lake, then they have time to make other arrangements to fish elsewhere , or join in...….  Unofficial socials do my nut in, where members have a couple of guests and it turns into a jolly up which can ruin the peace and quiet that you expected at the lake.....

Did my first ever organised social this year.. Tickets sold in advance so the lake could be closed for 24hrs... It was my way of trying to over come some anxiety issues. I'm glad I went, as it made me feel normal for a few hours, but I'll be hard pushed to do another one..... Prefer solitude if I can find it, helps me go into that deep thinking zone that I love about fishing...….

Just wondering Danny, have you done much over Ardleigh yet?...…. Wish I'd got a ticket, instead of my Syndicate (where I was sold the dream early Spring with few anglers on the bank..lol), haven't bothered fishing it yet as there is a big social aspect that I wasn't made aware of.... So unless it quietens down late Summer/Autumn, it will be money down the drain for me, and a ticket for Ardleigh next year.

I like catching all species, both salt and freshwater. But my two biggest buzzes come from spinning for bass and carping. A lot of the buzz is enjoying a decent fight, and this obviously comes from catching the largest of whichever species generally speaking. Finally one of the biggest buzzes comes from inspecting your catch, and IMHO it can't be argued that the bigger the fish, the more impressive. The last two times I have beaten my carp pb the fish were so impressive to me that I was buzzing for days. Therefore I wish to catch the largest fish I can. Another extremely important aspect is how difficult the fishing is. If I catch or expect to catch more than say 1/3rd of my sessions as a rough guide then any captures feel a lot less meaningful. I fished a water where after blanking for 5/6 sessions getting used to the place and figuring it out, I began catching 2-3 fish, mostly twenties, most sessions. This swiftly lost appeal as they didn't feel earnt! It's a strange thing and different to everyone really. 

I like fishing and fishing likes me. Simple answer but true. Some of my earliest memories are of me,as a 4 year old fishing a canal with my dad and brother. I can’t even remember a life without fishing being involved in it. The alarm went off this Sunday,my only day off for a few wks at 03:00 and I was still as excited as what I was 40odd years ago....... you can’t buy stuff like that ! 😎

I feel honoured that angling still gives me that feeling/buzz/pleasures...... call it what you may. It’s in our blood,you either have it or you don’t,in my opinion. That’s me,bottom left,trying to creep up on them pesky carp,first light. 🙄😎

It’s not just carp,seeing the float slide under with a 4o/z roach on the end does it for me or a pike smashing a live bait...... it’s all amazing.

The nature/outside part of angling also means a lot to me. The things we get to see and hear are truely magical and are lost on a lot of people....... and long may that continue 😉😎

E8FEB7C4-574E-4BAE-954D-C9C9257CFA70.jpeg