Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
TheKingTench

Getting big carp out of the water safely.

Have recently had a few 20lbers(semi-big fish), and I've been finding it difficult to get them out of the water and onto the mat. I have a very large net, but trying to lift them one handed out of the water, with rod in the other hand, could potentially someday damage a fish. Any tips of extracting large fish onto the mat once netted? 

Hi 

take the arms of the net out of the speeder block & roll the net down to the fish , make sure all fins are back and tight to the body of the fish before lifting . If possible always try & unhook in the net before hand that has to be the safest route for me .

12 minutes ago, chillfactor said:

If possible always try & unhook in the net before hand that has to be the safest route for me .

Likewise. If water depth allows it I'll whack the waders on, unhook and transfer to the sling in the water. Get the rod and line out of the picture. Makes life much easier.

Edited by yonny
typo

Depending on the swim and where my matt is, I either do as above and seperate the net from the spreader block or, I slacken the line off the reel, Place the butt of the rod on the spreader block (so the rods resting on the net) and move the fish. Depends on the size of fish and situation really. getting the hook out whilst the fish is in the water can be a pain sometimes.

If you do as I do and use quick link swivels to attached hooklinks then it’s simply unattached it from the swivel. Hooklink stays in if it can’t be unhooked in the water. Rod is out of the way then  

Break net down and roll mesh tight to the fish. Pick it up and cradle it with two hands and transfer to mat. Ideally the mat is close to the bank so it isn’t far. 

Better yet is waters on, mat in the water and do it that way. Only works with a sided mat though. 

With the rod and reel I loosen the quick drag and make sure the anti reverse is on, and  the fish is in the net safely, fins down against its sides, I undo the arms from the spreader block and roll the net down. 

I can pick up the rod in one hand, if I need to and still using two hands also pick up the net arms and move the fish over to the unhooking mat which already has the weigh sling in position, where I can then unroll and remove the net and the hook. The fish is in a safe environment in case I need to get it back into the water quickly. 

1 hour ago, salokcinnodrog said:

With the rod and reel I loosen the quick drag and make sure the anti reverse is on, and  the fish is in the net safely, fins down against its sides, I undo the arms from the spreader block and roll the net down. 

I can pick up the rod in one hand, if I need to and still using two hands also pick up the net arms and move the fish over to the unhooking mat which already has the weigh sling in position, where I can then unroll and remove the net and the hook. The fish is in a safe environment in case I need to get it back into the water quickly. 

That's the way I do it as well nick , when I actually catch something.

6 minutes ago, TheKingTench said:

Thanks for all the helpful replies!

Posts like this are really appreciated, thank you, and no problem, hope they help.

I should add, I do keep my unhooking mat or cradle as close as I can to the water front side of my swim, so not carrying a fish too far. If you have to move the fish to an area for decent pictures, or to get it onto the mat,  always carry it in a sling or net, and as low to the ground as possible.

You'll usually find that a fish will sit quite still in the landing net after being played out, which gives you a moment to either cut the rig or disconnect it from the main line via a quick clip, if you use one. Or even unhook it .

I get funny looks sometimes for bringing an extra unhooking mat, a beanie type mat. But I find it really useful for keeping at the waters edge and carefully lifting a fish onto and carrying it up the bank safely to the back of the swim to deal with in a cradle... I prefer this, especially at night when any torch light is kept away from the waters edge.....

…. Congrats on hitting into a couple of twenties btw...

It's always a good idea, when setting up, to go through in your mind what you are going to do if you land something decent and set the swim up accordingly so you have a little space and decent bit of bank and water depth to work with.... If you are going to use a recovery sling to rest the fish or retain it for a short while before taking any pics. Or if you are going to weigh the fish and have a weigh sling I find it a good idea to have these already laid out within the cradle, so the fish is, in effect, already placed in the sling and there is less hassle in trying to transfer it into one...…..

….You just gotta love that feeling, when you go to lift one out and it's much heavier than you thought...😉

16 hours ago, chillfactor said:

Hi 

take the arms of the net out of the speeder block & roll the net down to the fish , make sure all fins are back and tight to the body of the fish before lifting . If possible always try & unhook in the net before hand that has to be the safest route for me .

Exactly the way I do it if possible. Only problem is if you are fishing from staging where there is quite a drop to the water. I'm as careful as I can be, don't want the fish flipping with the hook still in it's mouth.