Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
B.C.

baiting in silt....

Ok, so there's a small 4ish acre pond adjacent to a lake I know. What look like snags in the middle are actually tree tops. It's an area where slurry was pumped when it was a working pit, basically dust and water which creates a particularly dangerous liquid silt known as Silver silt, so I'm told.. It's been separated from the main lake by a purpose built bank, leaving the few acres looking like a separate little pond... Due to safety issues, this is due to be filled in at some point in the future. But...…. there are fish present, no one really knows how many or how big they go, although a couple of low twenties have been caught and removed along with some smaller ones. When it's eventually filled in, the fish that are left will, unfortunately be left to perish...……. We are allowed to fish it and save anything we catch, and put them into another lake close by. All the waters are linked by drainage ditches so they are technically all the same lake...… Just wondered how some of you might approach fishing this. Like I say, the silt is 20feet deep and the snags are barbaric. Wouldn't mind saving a few of them fish though., Fishing a foot from the bank is the only thing I can think of atm... As this is the only real place where some bait could be got at...…. Any ideas ?

Depends how serious they are about saving any fish . Sounds like it needs draining off / water level lowered, then either netting which sounds like it could be a challenge because of snags... so probably electro fishing would be more efficient.  

Let you anglers catch what you can in the meantime.... but they are going to have to drain the lake at some point so there's the opportunity if there really serious about saving the fish .

Fishing wise without seeing the lake it's a tricky one mate ..... your know best at the end of the day. 

Been told it's just getting filled in sometime in next couple of years...… Basically a sunken forest... I'll bang a pic up when I get the chance...…. Got a bit of time ,so a good lead around the edges might yeild something to go at.

With 20ft of silt zigs may well be a good start point too .

Obviously not worried about the welfare of the fish .... but maybe a nudge towards the monetary value of 20lb + fish might change there outlook on there assets? 

I was thinking about pellets and sweetcorn and regular baiting.

If you need a lighter slow sinking bait and make your own add sodium caseinate or pop-up mix until it only just sinks. It should sit nicely on top of silt.

On 23/06/2018 at 01:32, B.C. said:

It's an area where slurry was pumped when it was a working pit, basically dust and water which creates a particularly dangerous liquid silt known as Silver silt, so I'm told.. 

this stuff is lethal. i used to fish a lake that had an area known as the "the shallows". when the fish were in the area it would turn a real milky colour. i remember once i had a fish from the area which kited and snagged me in a overhanging tree to my right. on with the waders thinking it was a couple of feet deep going down to 3 or 4. so out i go, luckily holding onto said overhanging snag when the lake bed swallowed me up in an instant up to my chest. god only knows how i got out but i did. spoke to a few of the guys later that morning and they said this was the area where the slurry was pumped when the pit was worked. i did catch many a fish though from this area using chods. the takes were absolute screamers, no doubt due to the lead plugging and making it a proper bolt rig. i used to spod boilie crumb, chops and halves which used to settle on the silt quite nicely. 

6 hours ago, emmcee said:

using chods

Did consider chods with bead set quite a distance from the lead and perhaps the lead in a bag with some nuggets to stop it plummeting into the silt...… Really don't know how deep the silt goes, just gonna need a reccy with a bare lead for a few hours.... The snags are brutal, so I've no doubt that any fishing will be done close in...……. You are right though Emcee, that stuff is very dangerous to be wading in, hence them having to fill the place in.

2 minutes ago, B.C. said:

Good shout mate... I like that.

In all honesty, my first shout would either be float fished maggots or zigs as chilli suggests, just clear of the silt, maybe cross both methods, rubber maggots on the zig with a constant trickle of real ones over the top. 

Just now, Gazlaaar said:

In all honesty, my first shout would either be float fished maggots or zigs as chilli suggests, just clear of the silt, maybe cross both methods, rubber maggots on the zig with a constant trickle of real ones over the top. 

The only problem I can see with maggots is that they would just disappear into the liquid silt, perhaps the old matchmans trick of soaking them to get neutral buoyancy or using deads……… The flaked maize I like the sound of, along with some flat boilie chops..... Gonna try and get over there for a few hours next week with a marker rod. It's a weird looking pool, dead tree tops sticking out, I'll get a pic or two and you'll see what I mean... looks a bit post apocalyptic .😊

2 hours ago, B.C. said:

Did consider chods with bead set quite a distance from the lead and perhaps the lead in a bag with some nuggets to stop it plummeting into the silt...… Really don't know how deep the silt goes, just gonna need a reccy with a bare lead for a few hours.... The snags are brutal, so I've no doubt that any fishing will be done close in...……. You are right though Emcee, that stuff is very dangerous to be wading in, hence them having to fill the place in.

Might end up with a sink hole appearing beneath the 'new' top layer.

Forgot flaked maize, especially when you consider how much is in Vitalin.

Same situation here 

Silty bottom  at various depths and a lot of sunken trees in a lake like jungle. I've tried bottom baits and popups  with no results although with pole fishing and same paste as boilies we catch a lot of fish (carp and chub) max 2 kilos weight. Very often big carp splash over the surface , so the need of solution to this equation is mandatory and critical. After 3 visits we didnt find it yet.😫

Edited by manos

23 minutes ago, manos said:

Same situation here 

Silty bottom  at various depths and a lot of sunken trees in a lake like jungle. I've tried bottom baits and popups  with no results although with pole fishing and same paste as boilies we catch a lot of fish (carp and chub) max 2 kilos weight. Very often big carp splash over the surface , so the need of solution to this equation is mandatory and critical. After 3 visits we didnt find it yet.😫

have you tried free lined floaters? bread, dog mixers, floater cake etc?

just a pop up on a hook, no lead and mucilin on the line works well too. :wink:

2 hours ago, cyborx said:

have you tried free lined floaters? bread, dog mixers, floater cake etc?

just a pop up on a hook, no lead and mucilin on the line works well too. :wink:

Yeah i would be trying to get them going off the top....Then at least you might get an idea of whats in there also.

On 25/06/2018 at 07:45, Andy Hull said:

How about using dead maggots in numbers.......

The deads will just lay on top.

So will live ones. Next time you're fishing with wrigglers whack a bunch in the margin. Assuming the bird-life doesn't smash them you'll see the next morning that they don't wriggle away or into the substrate.

We 've tried floaters  with no result , probably because of the lake depth ( begins from 4 to 18 meters) the fish dont eat near the surface. Pole fishing gives a lot of small carps and chub  when  the bait hangs 50cm from the bottom.   I am thinking  to increase more  the length between the popup and the lead to float above the silt. We use bright orange popups same flavour as the normal boilies used for prebaiting. Clear spots are very rare and is strange that in three fishing visits we didnt see other anglers :confused: 

On ‎08‎/‎07‎/‎2018 at 18:47, manos said:

We 've tried floaters  with no result , probably because of the lake depth ( begins from 4 to 18 meters) the fish dont eat near the surface. Pole fishing gives a lot of small carps and chub  when  the bait hangs 50cm from the bottom.   I am thinking  to increase more  the length between the popup and the lead to float above the silt. We use bright orange popups same flavour as the normal boilies used for prebaiting. Clear spots are very rare and is strange that in three fishing visits we didnt see other anglers :confused: 

I've considered high pop ups or zigs, but the amount of snags and the nature of them, would be suicide...…. One of the bait guns I recently bought, is actually a mortar/caulking gun and comes with a few different shaped nozzles including a thin flat one..... I will be making some , flat, square/rectangle shaped baits. Hopefully they will just flutter down and a few will sit on top of the silt...…  Late August I'll be starting on this place so gives me a month to trickle a bit of bait in, time permitting...….

It also got me thinking about making some flat, diamond shaped hookers... I recon they would be difficult for a fish to deal with, perhaps not flying in as quickly as ,say, a dumbbell, but once in??

35 minutes ago, B.C. said:

I've considered high pop ups or zigs, but the amount of snags and the nature of them, would be suicide...…. One of the bait guns I recently bought, is actually a mortar/caulking gun and comes with a few different shaped nozzles including a thin flat one..... I will be making some , flat, square/rectangle shaped baits. Hopefully they will just flutter down and a few will sit on top of the silt...…  Late August I'll be starting on this place so gives me a month to trickle a bit of bait in, time permitting...….

It also got me thinking about making some flat, diamond shaped hookers... I recon they would be difficult for a fish to deal with, perhaps not flying in as quickly as ,say, a dumbbell, but once in??

Rectangles?

Roll your base mix flat and trim the corners so it is rectangular, then boil the patty as it is. After boiling while it is still warm cut into suitable squares or chunks.

Alternatively form into blocks, wrap in cling film and boil, about 10 minutes, keeping the whole block under the surface. When it is boiled, cut into squares. The outer layer baits are often slightly buoyant.