How many

Andy Hull

Totally depends on the water, rules and fishing situation.

I can use 3 on a couple of waters, so if the situation calls for it, I use 3.

Rules on a couple of lakes are 2 rods only, so thats that, but at times 1 is enough. Bromeswell is an example of that, 2 rod rule, but sometimes 1 is enough to concentrate on a spot.

As said above, whatever the situation dictates. 

Normally I will use 3 rods if I have the room to do so. Sometimes just 2 is enough or maybe even just one if I know it's a goer and its a tight swim. 

I will do my best to maximise my chances of fish, sometimes it means less lines in the water so using 2 rods is better than 3. If it's tough going I will do my best to use 3 rods, normally one of which is kept out the way on a marginal area to reduce lines out in to the lake. It all really depends on the situation you are in. 95% of the time I will take 3 rods with me, the other 5% I already know if I am stalking or floater fishing so just the one.

i take 6 with on every sesh, when i get to my chosen spot i could be fishing with 1, 2 or 3 carp set up depending as above.

if the carp and swim are agreeable i could be just on the fly rod and if carp are on a go slow the carp set up is packed and the feeder comes out cos i do love a nice looking tench and we have them in excess of 10lb in these lakes, not bad as the UK record is only C15.5lb :lol:

Comfortable with 2 , sometimes 3 , sometimes 1 if the situation dictates...…. I like tight ,close in spots, if I can fish close up I will, where often less is more in terms of lines in the water and disturbance. I'd never stick a third rod out just for the sake of it...… I would have to see something to make me do this..... "1 bait in the right place" and all that.....  🙂

13 hours ago, cyborx said:

the feeder comes out cos i do love a nice looking tench and we have them in excess of 10lb in these lakes, not bad as the UK record is only C15.5lb :lol:

Thanks for the replies guys,

I was asking as i currently use 2 rods and have the funds to purchase a third rod, reel, alarm and indicator so just wondering if it was worth it.

I used to use 3 rods years ago but "sometimes" found that i was looking for a place to put it!

If i get a third rod (etc) then that will mean that i can't get my spod rod and reel and will have to wait!!!

Although, i do have a heavy feeder rod (Daiwa Porky pig) that i could use as Cybrox does!

Choices choices?

Andy

1 hour ago, The_Viking_Angler said:

In my rod bag, i have 3 carp rods, a spod and a marker rod. I also bring a custom 1.75 carp rod for floater/stalking work in a single rod sleeve. 

I am using a pair of Korum Twin tip + they have a 1.75lb tc tip and a 2.2lb tc tip

I got them so i had the 1.75lb tip to target Tench and Bream and the 2.2lb tip for the carp as i only fish small venues upto around 7 acres.

After what the Viking has said i think i will go fro the third rod as i can set this up for floater fishing with the 1.75lb tip if the fish are on the top and also have it as my third bottom rod.

The Spod rod will have to wait i think!

Andy

On 28/06/2018 at 10:11, Andy Hull said:

I am using a pair of Korum Twin tip + they have a 1.75lb tc tip and a 2.2lb tc tip

I got them so i had the 1.75lb tip to target Tench and Bream and the 2.2lb tip for the carp as i only fish small venues upto around 7 acres.

After what the Viking has said i think i will go fro the third rod as i can set this up for floater fishing with the 1.75lb tip if the fish are on the top and also have it as my third bottom rod.

The Spod rod will have to wait i think!

Andy

Hi you can get a small spomb and use it on your normal rods. not used my spod rod for years. 

Depends on the venue. If its an open water with plenty of room I will use up to 4 rods. However if its one of the tiny mill dams frequently found around here I will use two, or even just the one if the swims are really overgrown.

BOF  ;)

If the fishery concerned allows it and the swim I'm in has enough room or water in front of it, I'll use three.

Unless it's dark, and then I'll go down to one., sometimes none ('cos I sleep like a log and don't trust myself to wake up in any fit state to deal with it/them).

1 hour ago, Gazlaaar said:

2 rods for me no matter where I fish, I just find 3 are 1 too many, it's cheaper, easier and I find I'm being more particular where I'm putting rods. I've fished 5 acre to 90 acre pits and never really felt any need for more than two. In fact I've always found I've used a third rod for no other reason than its there.

I must admit, that like you I am looking for fish, but I have found that sometimes my 3rd rod on some waters brings 'bonus' fish.

I know that sounds strange, but I tend to get 2 rods on a baited patch, and the 3rd rod is a 'rover', or pub chuck rod with a visible or high attract bait. At Nazeing, and Ardleigh, most fish have been caught over some bait, but that 3rd sometimes produces a fish out of nowhere.

I do agree, get 1 or 2 rod in the right place and those will often be the ones that produces most of the fish, but at times being able to stick out 3 isn't reducing chances at all.

image.jpeg