Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Lumeymorris

Weed in the lake

5 minutes ago, Lumeymorris said:

Guys any basic tips you can share for fishing weedy lakes? Like do I want to fish a tight line, slack line. Back leads/flying back leads? And how to present a bait in a whole in a bed on weed stuff like that.

no back leads. they'll be pointless and cause you all sorts of issues if there are weedbeds between your rod and the hookbait. Steer clear IMO! 

Personally slack is better for me, but I use running rigs. 

Make sure you can drop the lead whatever system you are using, it will help no end to land fish. 

Also be prepared for fish to get stuck in it, dont assume it wont happen and then panic/get frustrated when they do. Apply steady pressure and try a different rod angle. If this doesnt get the fish moving then put the rod back on the alarm and slacken off a bit and wait. I normally give 30mins to an hour to see if the fish kicks itself free. If it doesnt then pick the rod up and wind down to the fish and slowly and carefully walk backwards whilst applying pressure with the rod up in the air. If all of these fail then ring the owner/manager and see what can be done about using a boat. 

I tend to fish weedy waters. Back-leads are a complete no-no buddy, they get clogged up in the weed and you'll lose fish. I always fish tight lines in weed with very tight clutches. If the carp can take line they'll head straight into the thickest weed and again, you'll lose fish. In the weediest situations I'll ditch the lead, same as Vik. Helps to reduce losses.

It also depend what your lake is like mate, is all of it weedy or is it large patches of weed with clear spots. Also it largely depends on the type of weed it is, as that'll dictate your approach to some degree.

4 hours ago, smufter said:

If it's like this, you pack up and go home......😫

P7040969_zps8eab50ce.jpg

P7040967_zps6072cf1b.jpg

P7040972_zps69abe914.jpg

That is some insane weed mate, that your regular lake?

1 minute ago, The_Viking_Angler said:

That is some insane weed mate, that your regular lake?

No mate.

Some doss hole that we visited in France 4 years ago.

The owner said there was a small amount of weed there about 3 weeks before we visited, but kindly suggested we take some rubber gloves with us so that we could pull a grappling hook through it without hurting our hands.

He even sent us a link for some cheap ones from Screwfix.

Nice bloke.

18 minutes ago, smufter said:

The owner said there was a small amount of weed there about 3 weeks before we visited, but kindly suggested we take some rubber gloves with us so that we could pull a grappling hook through it without hurting our hands.

Nice bloke.

That's ridiculous mate. Did you get any compensation? That's as near to un-fishable as they come mate.

25 minutes ago, smufter said:

No mate.

Some doss hole that we visited in France 4 years ago.

Nice bloke.

That is ridiculous mate, He must of meant there is a small amount of lake compared to weed. 

1 hour ago, yonny said:

That's ridiculous mate. Did you get any compensation? That's as near to un-fishable as they come mate.

He reluctantly offered us a half price return the following year.

We didn't take him up on his offer.

Back leads are a waste of time in weed, and sadly on my lake, due to constant undertow and water current from an inflow sluice, so are running leads.

Boats mean I have to get the line as low as I can, and even then, I have had children in sailing dinghy's go through the line, despite being told to stay out in the middle😡😖

Get your rod tips as low as you can, even right under the water if you can, below the level of drifting weed. I actually prefer Inline leads in weed, the old Zipp shaped lead, Fox inline pear, Korda Skyline Inline (my goodness I recommended a Korda item), and put the whole lot in a bag, bait, hook, rig, and even lead. You can put any 'dry' bag mix in, even Vitalin if you mix it fairly dry, to get your bait out there

9 hours ago, smufter said:

If it's like this, you pack up and go home......😫

P7040969_zps8eab50ce.jpg

P7040967_zps6072cf1b.jpg

P7040972_zps69abe914.jpg

I think the grass needs mowing, not watering😖😉😆

image.jpeg

Knowledge is key in my books. Find out where the spots are from anyone & everyone, until your confident that your rigs are sitting as intended, keep checking them. I spent the first few nights fishing in a ball of Canadian when I first joined a syndic a few years ago. That's a bit soul destroying when you think you've felt the drop & you're nearly on the spot. Not good enough so you keep on until you know for sure that you are fishing. 

Had my 1st fish out this year, not been back since spawning. Hoping to get there next weekend. I'm told the weed is up between 5 & 7 ft.

Snowman popped up 4inch on a combine rig, with 7 freebies in mesh, in line fox cut out pear, set u to drop off (crucial in weed) bit of putty 10"from lead. Fairly tight line. 

It is daunting fishing thick weed but if you stick at it & get the rewards, I feel confident fishing any other type of conditions, enjoy! 

Nice, them & the birds help keep the spots clear. My 9.5 acre syndic has a spot for each swim obviously & that's all you have. Any where between 4 & 22 wraps. Weird how it's been divided, solely down to the weed. 

A few of the members have moaned about bait rotting on the spots but what else can you do! Apart from have a word with the guy using low quality baits. No word yet, but there's talk of bait limits! 

I don't should imagine the owner would like that! 

I got some info on here a few years ago about hydrated lime. I tried it a mates lake, previously full of Canadian. The summer brought u lovely Lilly pads & the 4/5"of silt has now gone pretty firm. I'd say it worked but get someone's agreement before you put any in

Been looking into glyphosate, still no definitive answer.

Have also found out though that Roundup will not harm fish.

This site uses first and third party cookies to save information on your computer. Click here to find out which cookies are used on this website. Some of these cookies are essential for using our site, others help us improve your user experience, and some may be used for advertising purposes (targeting/advertising cookies). By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies in accordance with our cookie policy. If you do not wish to receive cookies, please read our cookie policy on how to avoid cookies.Close
Roundup Weed Killer

Most Popular FAQs

Frequently Asked Questions

Search our FAQs

Will Roundup kill my fish?

When applied according to label recommendations, there is no risk for fish, pets nor wildlife.

Watch us on Youtube! icon_gplus.png Follow us on Twitter! Like us on Facebook!

Site Explorer Site Explorer
For consumer enquiries, click here or call 01276 401 390
Consumer Relations: 1 Archipelago, Lyon Way, Frimley, Surrey, GU16 7ER

Monsanto UK Ltd | PO Box 663, Cambourne, Cambridge, CB1 0LD

Registration number: 04042051
VAT number: GB 759 6324 90
Contact details: Tel: +441954 717550 / uk.reception@monsanto.com
Use weedkillers safely. Always read the label and product information before use.

© Copyright Roundup 2018. All rights reserved.
Roundup® is a registered trademark
Design and development by HROC - Web Design

Search Search

What are the margins like?

I bet you'll find some nice clean spots under the over hanging tree's. Get some bait in with a spoon and fish those. If it were me, I'd seek permission to spend a day or so raking a couple of spots, mind you, that depends on angling pressure, I wouldn't want others taking advantage. Like I say, I bet the carp get around the margins at night, that would be my first plan.

Deffo no back leads at all, fish tight lines and stiff clutch.... Don't be put off by the weed, a lot of it forms canopies on the surface with gaps and channels underneath.... Have a look at the fish and try to work out where they come in and out of it..... I personally don't like casting over the top off it and into a hole..(however, how many times do we do this without realising, when there's 8 ft of weed out of sight in 12ft of water?)…… I will try to fish up against the weed, hopefully near to a well used channel. I've found ,by observing them, they often use the edges of weedbeds to navigate the lake, bit like having another set of margins in the lake....🙂

13 hours ago, dayvid said:

Been looking into glyphosate, still no definitive answer.

Have also found out though that Roundup will not harm fish.

This site uses first and third party cookies to save information on your computer. Click here to find out which cookies are used on this website. Some of these cookies are essential for using our site, others help us improve your user experience, and some may be used for advertising purposes (targeting/advertising cookies). By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies in accordance with our cookie policy. If you do not wish to receive cookies, please read our cookie policy on how to avoid cookies.Close
Roundup Weed Killer

Most Popular FAQs

Frequently Asked Questions

Search our FAQs

Will Roundup kill my fish?

When applied according to label recommendations, there is no risk for fish, pets nor wildlife.

Watch us on Youtube! icon_gplus.png Follow us on Twitter! Like us on Facebook!

Site Explorer Site Explorer
For consumer enquiries, click here or call 01276 401 390
Consumer Relations: 1 Archipelago, Lyon Way, Frimley, Surrey, GU16 7ER

Monsanto UK Ltd | PO Box 663, Cambourne, Cambridge, CB1 0LD

Registration number: 04042051
VAT number: GB 759 6324 90
Contact details: Tel: +441954 717550 / uk.reception@monsanto.com
Use weedkillers safely. Always read the label and product information before use.

© Copyright Roundup 2018. All rights reserved.
Roundup® is a registered trademark
Design and development by HROC - Web Design

Search Search

To use Roundup/glyphosate on, near water  you have to get written concent from SEPA in Scotland and The EA in England etc.

Secondly it is not as harmless to fish etc as is often portrayed.

It only kills floating weeds with ground roots, eg lillies, will not touch submerged weeds or true floaters..