Self Awareness

Gazlaaar

I'd like to ask a question this morning on Self Awareness. 

How many of you consider the impact you have on your own fishing while your on the bank?

I'll try to explain 

Whenever I am fishing I will try to look for an area that remains undisturbed by other anglers, ie, if there's a row of marginal tree's and then 3 swims in a row, I'd want to be in the swim next to the tree's. The end swim next to an out of bounds area, always appeals to me. I tend to keep away from areas that hold a lot of anglers and although I do listen to advice given by others, I prefer to do things my way, an example of this would be the fish I had on Wednesday, caught from a swim I had been told never produces at night.

Once I've chosen a spot/swim I look at the bank side foliage to see what will give me the best cover, ie, Out Of Sight, Out Of Mind. I'll never blatantly set up right in full view. I hate being right on top of my rods and to few occasions I have been I've used my mozzi mesh to conceal me in. My rod tips never over hang the water and im as quiet as a door mouse.

Another habit I've seen is anglers recasting at dawn and dusk, this is I find an anglers biggest mistake, dawn and dusk are the 2 most productive times of the day, so to re chuck a rod at these times is a definite no no.

So

How aware are you of your own presence on the bank?

It really depends on how I'm fishing. If I am fishing at 50+ yards then I don't think it matters one bit, similarly fishing high stock waters where the fish aren't shy. 

Generally try to keep quiet and low key whilst I'm fishing as much as possible. I am guilty at times of recasting at peak times, but it's when I feel I should have had a bite and haven't, often the recast results in a quick fish indicating something was amiss out on the spot.

Fish that know they're in the presence of a foreign being (e.g. an angler) are 1000 times harder to catch, therefore I put great emphasis on self awareness. If they know you're there, you're pretty much guaranteed to blank imo.

Given the choice I'll be camped up under some kind of cover but that's not always possible. I pay more attention to making as little noise (vibration) and movement as possible in areas that can influence the waters inhabitants.

It never ceases to amaze me how much constant disturbance people will make on small waters and still expect to catch.

Ripping noisy lids off of buckets and standing on the skyline trying to catch a glimpse of the fish they've scared up the other end of the lake are two of my favourites, NOT.  

The Lake i fish isn't very wide and most of the fishing is to near bank side vegetation so you need to be quiet, as yonny said it's more to do with vibration than noise.

When i set up i am self aware as i set up as far back from the waters edge as i can and do everything as stealthy as i can no stomping about or dropping bags bivvies (etc), if i can't get a bank stick in quietly then i just lay the rods on the bank with a bivvy peg (they always go in and i don't have a pod) behind the reel stem to stop them being dragged in.

If i set a bivvy up i usually set that up behind a tree/bush or if there's no cover then it's set as far back as possible form the waters edge but still close enough to get to the rods quickly.

I have always fished with tight lines but moving forward i will be using slack sunk lines and see if this makes any difference. 

Andy

My mate (whom I’m going with tonight) is an absolute nightmare. Crash,bang and whallop springs to mind. The amount of arguments we’ve had over the years with his noise is unreal. Alwlays drops his gear on the peg,dead loud always gobbing off 😩😩😩

the fishings over before we’ve started 🙄🙄 but he’s a mate,what can you do 🙄🙄😆😆

20 minutes ago, Gazlaaar said:

A typical approach for me

IMG_20180718_181815_832.jpg

Same mate, side on usually and tucked back a bit. Most of my fishing is done on smallish waters, where moving swims is doubtful. I like to set some traps and be as quiet as poss' knowing that if I stay quiet and out of sight there's a good chance that something will feel comfortable feeding on my spots...…  If I was fishing a larger place, I'd probably want to watch the water more and maybe face the lake.....

On 20/07/2018 at 10:12, snowmanstevo said:

My mate (whom I’m going with tonight) is an absolute nightmare. Crash,bang and whallop springs to mind. The amount of arguments we’ve had over the years with his noise is unreal. Alwlays drops his gear on the peg,dead loud always gobbing off 😩😩😩

the fishings over before we’ve started 🙄🙄 but he’s a mate,what can you do 🙄🙄😆😆

Hahaha I have one the exact same. Hammering in bivvy pegs and all sorts lol

16 hours ago, Salfordcarl said:

Hahaha I have one the exact same. Hammering in bivvy pegs and all sorts lol

Believe it or not but banging in bivvy pegs doesn't bother me one bit. On more than one occasion whilst doing work parties on my various lakes I've seen fish roll no more than 10yds away from where we have been banging in scaffold poles or fence posts for new platforms etc and these are some right clued up carp. I also like to be on my rods when possible. I don't want a carp getting up a head of steam if I'm bivvied up a few yds from my rods. The lakes I've fished are mainly public park lakes or boating lakes so maybe the carp can take more disturbance than carp in member's only lakes etc. 

5 hours ago, emmcee said:

Believe it or not but banging in bivvy pegs doesn't bother me one bit. On more than one occasion whilst doing work parties on my various lakes I've seen fish roll no more than 10yds away from where we have been banging in scaffold poles or fence posts for new platforms etc and these are some right clued up carp. I also like to be on my rods when possible. I don't want a carp getting up a head of steam if I'm bivvied up a few yds from my rods. The lakes I've fished are mainly public park lakes or boating lakes so maybe the carp can take more disturbance than carp in member's only lakes etc. 

I've also seen both scenarios. Seen them scatter in all directions with any vibration, seen a carp pop it's head up 5 yards from the bank, 5 minutes after I pulled a load of snags out, and I've also had a few fish literally following a weed rake to the bank after I've lobbed it out and pulled it back in a few times. The latter two, I'm sure the fish were pulled in by the bottom being stirred up and just took no notice of me or didn't see me...…… The weed rake episode was late Spring, and I'm pretty sure it was a group of male fish following the ball of weed, right up to the boards, mid doubles.

Personally, I just like to keep things as quiet as possible. As fewer lights as possible and as much as I can, try and make it as if I'm not really there. For my own fishing and also the benefit of other anglers. I always think that even if the fish don't spook, by giving myself away too easily, can put them on edge and make them harder to catch, more riggy. Just my op', but nicking one early doors is a real confidence boost imo and can set you up for a good session.

It's not such a problem when your fishing at distance or fishing for longer lengths of time, but I just think about other anglers. Maybe they have been there a few days in this is their time to shine, plus I don't like drawing attention to myself with other anglers, I'd much rather sneak in and out. 

One thing I can't abide by is other anglers standing in the front of my swim, I've had to stop a couple of bailiffs doing it recently lol

1 hour ago, Gazlaaar said:

It's not such a problem when your fishing at distance or fishing for longer lengths of time, but I just think about other anglers. Maybe they have been there a few days in this is their time to shine, plus I don't like drawing attention to myself with other anglers, I'd much rather sneak in and out. 

One thing I can't abide by is other anglers standing in the front of my swim, I've had to stop a couple of bailiffs doing it recently lol

I had the same thing happen recently with a bailiff, I was resting the swim too, trying to build their confidence up over a few freebies. He's a nice bloke, but just wasn't thinking as he walked to the front of the swim. If I can, I'll use the barrow to cut people off, especially as I fish in the edge quite a bit...……. TBH though, I wouldn't dream of entering someone's swim uninvited. It's just not the done thing imo…. Unless I needed something really important , like one of their cream cakes 🤣

I am pretty well aware of my fishing, from various waters and always try to keep to myself. I don't like banging in pegs, and I don't like people disturbing my swim. I try to set back from the water, but in a position I can watch.

I have caught fish from my margins, quite literally under my rod tips, including a few 30's. Even being quiet, it took the carp 2 days to move over one of my baited spots at that range.

I try to be quiet, and I wish others were the same, that covers banging pegs in, to excessive noise from conversations, to alcohol related socials. Fishing is different things to different people, but to me it is the peace and quiet and relaxation after working too long and hard.

On 22/07/2018 at 15:14, emmcee said:

I've lost count how many times over the years I've witnessed carp come really close to the disturbance caused by a work party, I even had a twenty-one tonne excavator dig out an area of my place and watched open mouthed (worried) as carp rolled and swam right up to the bucket as it crashed in to the water!

Conversely I've seen the same carp bow wave away from a bankstick being pushed into the gravel or a twig snapping underfoot. Cantankerous creatures aren't they.

My attitude is that if I try to stay quiet and tucked away, it can't possibly hurt. Oh and I hate mallets!

I always try and cause minimal noise and disturbance but, I don't get too hung up up about it, as long as it's not constant. I couldn't put up with a noisy fishing partner or mate though, as somebody mentioned, more because it would upset me more than the fish! I would have to give him a verbal warning, then either a slap, or give him the red card lol!

I've always fished better alone to be honest. Over many years of carp angling, and studying the carp's behaviour on various waters, I've come to the conclusion that just like us, some act different to others. I've lost count of how many times I've witnessed noisy anglers, clattering around, talking loud, and making a lot of movement etc, go on to catch a few nice fish on that session, and Mr Stealth tucked away, complete with cammo, netting, the full works, Rambo style! and catch nothing at all!  Perhaps we give the carp a bit to much credit for intelligence sometimes? Sure they're clever, I think it was Chris Yates who once said "salmon are intelligent but, a carp makes a salmon look like a village idiot!" Which may well be true but, they are nowhere near as intelligent as us.

They are masters of their own environment without doubt, and will have built in safety reflexes etc but, also seem to have short memory regarding some things. Seen many times a group of fish spooked and bolt away, only to return within in an hour or less, and get caught.

I think it really depends on lots of factors how fish behave in certain scenarios. Just a personal thing but, I can't see any point in cammo for fishing, I think the fish notice movement and vibration on the bank much more than colour variation. I wear greens and browns etc, to try and look more subtle, more so out of courtesy to other anglers, as somebody sitting opposite in bright colours, can really spoil the atmosphere on a water.

I just keep noise and movement to a minimum but, don't lose sleep over it.

Edited by salokcinnodrog
Edited to remove an inferred, please don't do it again

On 28/07/2018 at 13:56, The Compleat Angler said:

I've always fished better alone to be honest.

Me too.

On 28/07/2018 at 13:56, The Compleat Angler said:

Over many years of carp angling, and studying the carp's behaviour on various waters

And that's why....

If you fish with mates you tend to just look for fish, set up, and see what happens. It's a social really.

If you fish alone, you keep on the move, watching, learning.....

Don't get me wrong I love a good social but if I'm really trying to catch big fish I'm far better off alone.

On 30/07/2018 at 14:59, yonny said:

Me too.

And that's why....

If you fish with mates you tend to just look for fish, set up, and see what happens. It's a social really.

If you fish alone, you keep on the move, watching, learning.....

Don't get me wrong I love a good social but if I'm really trying to catch big fish I'm far better off alone.

Yes that’s it Yonny, I don’t mind the odd social, and have attended a few in my time but, I have always been at my best as an angler alone, as you say, watching and learning about a water etc. When tuned in, I think we all pick up on much more than if we’re being sociable. I have seen anglers in pairs do very well, providing they’re both commited to the fishing side of things first, and the social side second.

It’s nice to sit with a fishing buddy by the rods of an evening, having a beer or cup of tea, keeping company etc but, when sitting there alone, we here every sound or showing of signs of fish, properly tuned in.

Edited by The Compleat Angler

Yup, agreed buddy.

Once or twice a year I go on a social with a very close friend of mine. We hardly ever catch anything, it's more about having a catch up and a laugh. I enjoy it immensely but at the back of my mind I always consider I'm wasting time that could be spent chasing my targets for the year.

We often go to Bluebell when our normal waters are spawning. It's normally a blank but this year he couldn't make it so i went on my own and had a brace of good'n's. Says it all really.

On 20/07/2018 at 06:00, Gazlaaar said:

Another habit I've seen is anglers recasting at dawn and dusk, this is I find an anglers biggest mistake, dawn and dusk are the 2 most productive times of the day, so to re chuck a rod at these times is a definite no no.

So

How aware are you of your own presence on the bank?

I find it staggering that people will get out of bed during bite times to recast and even spod on top of what they have already put out - despite it being bite time and the food is still there, they haven't caught anything yet.

Whats the point in finding spots, baiting and doing the leg work to then stuff it up for yourself and anyone nearby when you should be sitting on your hands - it beggars belief tbh

I believe a lot of anglers would really benefit from going day only for a good while, light tackle and stalking in the edge, you'd soon learn about the effect of your presence on the fish.  Watching how they will come in have a quick mouthful, buzz off in fear, come back tiny bit more, do the off and so the cycle goes on until competitive feeding takes place, mostly hours later.  Any noise during the wait and its game over.