Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Minelab

Schools of Carp, Help Needed.

I'm new to the Forum, and Carp fishing, would appreciate some advice. In all my years of Fishing, I have never been mocked or insulted by a fish until today. Using a Nash rod and Sonik reel, I tried a method feeder first and then top fishing with light tackle, bread and dog biscuits cut down, bottom fishing with boiles, all great recommended baits. Off of the Ohio river fishing in a creek about 180 yards down from the mouth of the river under a bridge. When I got to this spot, I was floored by all the carp in schools, hundreds of them, no kidding. When I was sitting on the bank, four feet in front of me, several of the Carp looked right at me with there mouths going, they weren't afraid of me even when I got up and walked around scratching my head, I threw out bait, and they just ignored it, corn, pop ups, bread and even dog food. I didn't catch a single fish in two days of fishing, but the carp just kept insulting me all day. There was big ones and small ones and in between. I gave up and came home and decided to ask for some help. If any one would please throw a tip or two out I would be thankful.

Welcome to Carp.com

Not sure whether they were spawning, sitting in the more oxygenated water or just cruising. I would have thought, dependant on your weather and the time of year, spawning is likely done with, although as it has stayed hot in the UK, spawning is going on and off, so it may be the same in your part of USA.

You may find that to get them feeding you really need to put plenty of bait in, big beds of particles, groundbait, I think what you call 'pack bait', then when they are comfortable fishing over the top of it. Even surface fishing you want them almost pre-occupied on floating foods, dog biscuits, bread crust etc.

My guess is just finished spawning and laying up for a day or two to recover in the oxygenated water...…. I would revisit in a few days time...….. It definitely sounds like spawny behaviour to me, or, God forbid, some kind of toxins in the water that have pushed the fish to a more oxygenated area. I've found that our lake fish, will go on a real munch up, right up until spawning commences and, afterwards ,will sit it out in the weed beds, when you can get right up close to them, just resting up and oblivious to your presence, or too knackered to be bothered. Then, after a couple of days, they go back into a short feeding frenzy, when you can fill your boots, or leave them to replenish all that lost energy.

Thank You all for the knowledge and help, I really appreciate it, I feel better and will be going back this weekend, the weather is great, its cooled down some and a nice breeze has been blowing. The water has really cleared up and I'm excited to go Carp fishing. I have always used a round  Baitcasting reel and with my new Sonik Tournos 6000 compact big pit carp reel, I have enjoyed fishing with it.

Thanks again

Minelab