Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Hi everyone, I am looking at going fishing with my 6 year old son and have been gathering up tackle over the past week or so and wondered what else I will require? I am relatively new to fish but did go a few times about 10 years a go. I tried various styles of fishing including going for pike, smaller fish and carp and found I only enjoyed carp fishing more specifically fishing on the bottom/top rather than float fishing. I plan on just doing a few day waters in my local area (Burton on Trent, Staffordshire) for now to see how I/we get on

The items I have so far are:-

2 rods (1 set up when I purchased it as pictured, is that alright?)

2 reels

Some hair rigs

Bait needles

Landing net

Rod bag

Box seat

Some hooks

Scales

Sling

Unhooking mat

Day shelter

Some bait but will get more when I know where I will be fishing.

When it comes to setting up a rod/line it seems there are so many different ways, is there 1 way that will do for now while I learn as much as I can?

Any help or advice would be really appreciated and I am looking forward to using the forum some more and of course to catching some carp.

Thanks, PandA

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

27 minutes ago, PandA698 said:

Hi everyone, I am looking at going fishing with my 6 year old son and have been gathering up tackle over the past week or so and wondered what else I will require? I am relatively new to fish but did go a few times about 10 years a go. I tried various styles of fishing including going for pike, smaller fish and carp and found I only enjoyed carp fishing more specifically fishing on the bottom/top rather than float fishing. I plan on just doing a few day waters in my local area (Burton on Trent, Staffordshire) for now to see how I/we get on

The items I have so far are:-

2 rods (1 set up when I purchased it as pictured, is that alright?)

2 reels

Some hair rigs

Bait needles

Landing net

Rod bag

Box seat

Some hooks

Scales

Sling

Unhooking mat

Day shelter

Some bait but will get more when I know where I will be fishing.

When it comes to setting up a rod/line it seems there are so many different ways, is there 1 way that will do for now while I learn as much as I can?

Any help or advice would be really appreciated and I am looking forward to using the forum some more and of course to catching some carp.

Thanks, PandA

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

Welcome to Carp.com.

Looks ok to me, apart from the lead clip😆😖. (I don't like lead clips)

Standard rig looks ok, suitable for bottom baits and pop-ups; big blob of putty over the eye of the hook you've got there.

Add a set of forceps into your unhooking gear.

Have Fun

Far too much putty for me, about a quarter of that placed slightly further down, bout 2 inches from the hook, or just use a BB split shot......

Anti tangle sleeve might be handy, as you are using braid hook link,

Tail rubber on lead clip is pushed on too far...….. I would crimp the swivel slightly so the whole lot can come free in the event of a break off, lead clip, tail rubber and tubing. And just nick it onto the barrel, if at all...…… It looks a little "wedged up" to me...…… But not bad considering your experience...….. 🙂

55 minutes ago, salokcinnodrog said:

Welcome to Carp.com.

Standard rig looks ok, suitable for bottom baits and pop-ups; big blob of putty over the eye of the hook you've got there.

Have Fun

17 minutes ago, B.C. said:

Far too much putty for me, about a quarter of that placed slightly further down, bout 2 inches from the hook, or just use a BB split shot......

Tail rubber on lead clip is pushed on too far...….. I would crimp the swivel slightly so the whole lot can come free in the event of a break off, lead clip, tail rubber and tubing. And just nick it onto the barrel, if at all...…… It looks a little "wedged up" to me...…… But not bad considering your experience...….. 🙂

Thanks for the replies. The rod was already set up like that when I bought it I was just hoping to use it while I figure out how to properly do it. I will switch the putty to a BB shot as I have some of them and I will attempt to crimp the swivel too when I figure out what it means lol.

Thanks again.

P.S. forceps have been ordered! Also I forgot I have rod rests and bite alarm.

Edited by PandA698
Missed items out.

2 hours ago, B.C. said:

Must admit, I do use putty shaped and rolled around the eye of a hook quite a bit with my pop-ups, keeps it very low lying to the lakebed, Ronnie rig style, that is if I am fishing a water with no crayfish troubles.

If there are crays, I resort to olivettes instead😉

image.jpg

Whilst sorting your rod licence check out the environment agencies web site I believe they offer free sessions for young /inexperienced anglers and taster days, may. E worth looking into just to brush up on the basics/ knowledge. Enjoy 😉 

1 hour ago, framey said:

Rod license dont start of the wrong way

Yes I will definitely be getting a Rod License. I am going to buy it the day before I go for the 1st time.

41 minutes ago, spr1985 said:

Whilst sorting your rod licence check out the environment agencies web site I believe they offer free sessions for young /inexperienced anglers and taster days, may. E worth looking into just to brush up on the basics/ knowledge. Enjoy 😉 

That's good to know. I will check it out. Thanks

7 hours ago, salokcinnodrog said:

Welcome to Carp.com.

Have Fun

6 hours ago, B.C. said:

Hi again, I have just been on YouTube and on the video I was watching they said lead clips drop the lead, is this correct? If so I will change the set up as I don't want to drop the lead (I read the thread on here about it)

Thanks

19 minutes ago, PandA698 said:

Hi again, I have just been on YouTube and on the video I was watching they said lead clips drop the lead, is this correct? If so I will change the set up as I don't want to drop the lead (I read the thread on here about it)

Thanks

The original reason for a lead clip was so that the lead could be removed from the set-up at the end of the session, but, it was discovered that by not putting the tail rubber on all the way the lead could be dropped on a take. The further you push the tail rubber on the harder it is for the lead to be ejected; all the way on it won't eject, only slightly on eject on the take, in between, will eject (supposedly) in a snag or weed.

The lead clips original purpose, can be achieved by using a quick link clip on any lead attachment, be that a run ring or John Roberts feeder booms. 

I nearly always use a run ring, Fox or Solar with a link clip holding the lead.

10 hours ago, salokcinnodrog said:

The original reason for a lead clip was so that the lead could be removed from the set-up at the end of the session, but, it was discovered that by not putting the tail rubber on all the way the lead could be dropped on a take. The further you push the tail rubber on the harder it is for the lead to be ejected; all the way on it won't eject, only slightly on eject on the take, in between, will eject (supposedly) in a snag or weed.

The lead clips original purpose, can be achieved by using a quick link clip on any lead attachment, be that a run ring or John Roberts feeder booms. 

I nearly always use a run ring, Fox or Solar with a link clip holding the lead.

Oh right, I will look to change my set up then. I don't want to be dropping a lead all the time.

Thanks

not sure how true this is but ive been told its illegal to purposefully drop a lead

makes sense from a pollution point of view

don't forget an antiseptic spray or gel for hook holes

3 hours ago, harpz_31 said:

not sure how true this is but ive been told its illegal to purposefully drop a lead

makes sense from a pollution point of view

don't forget an antiseptic spray or gel for hook holes

I don't know about that. I know the place I looked at today have a rule that the lead needs to be able to come off if it gets snagged etc though.

I have got some antiseptic gel for hook holes! I guess I am optimistic I will catch lol.