Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Dannygooner

Not long till the season begins,,,,,,

Never caught a pike. Been studying lots to learn how to fish for them. Read lots, watched lots, especially on the handling and care of the pike. Just wondering if anyone has any tips or recommendations for me? I'll be doing all methods, ledger, float and lure. Bait is something I'm especially curious on. I've found a frozen bait fish site but there is an array of choice. What's your preference? Any help greatly obliged ,cheers 

On 17/09/2018 at 17:45, Dannygooner said:

Never caught a pike. Been studying lots to learn how to fish for them. Read lots, watched lots, especially on the handling and care of the pike. Just wondering if anyone has any tips or recommendations for me? I'll be doing all methods, ledger, float and lure. Bait is something I'm especially curious on. I've found a frozen bait fish site but there is an array of choice. What's your preference? Any help greatly obliged ,cheers 

I prefer to buy my bait fresh from the local supermarket and freeze it myself. 

I mainly use mackerel and sardines, I separate them and wrap them in cling film and freeze separately. 

If you're buying from a tackle shop try smelt I like to pop these up of the bottom. Have a read up on popping up dead baits worth a go mate something different can make all the difference. 

Pollon are also good for popping up they are naturally bouyont. 

Just try different baits mate. 

Good luck. 👍

1 hour ago, finchey said:

I prefer to buy my bait fresh from the local supermarket and freeze it myself. 

I mainly use mackerel and sardines, I separate them and wrap them in cling film and freeze separately. 

If you're buying from a tackle shop try smelt I like to pop these up of the bottom. Have a read up on popping up dead baits worth a go mate something different can make all the difference. 

Pollon are also good for popping up they are naturally bouyont. 

Just try different baits mate. 

Good luck. 👍

I actually just ordered a few traces with a couple trebles and a pop up pre tied. Lazy I know but if I get the buzz for predator fishing I'll go about learning how to tie the rigs. I'll give them bits a go mate. Cheers 👍🏻

1 hour ago, Dannygooner said:

I actually just ordered a few traces with a couple trebles and a pop up pre tied. Lazy I know but if I get the buzz for predator fishing I'll go about learning how to tie the rigs. I'll give them bits a go mate. Cheers 👍🏻

Tying pike rigs is a lot more easier than any carp rig you’ll tie,mate. 😉

On 17 September 2018 at 17:45, Dannygooner said:

I have a selection of deadbaits in the freezer already, and I take most on any day as some waters respond best to a particular bait, and I have my old faithful.

Dead Roach I used to find were the best bait on the local river, maybe because I was fishing near the roach shoals in their winter hide-ups, but they do work on lakes as well. Check though as some waters, dead coarse fish are not allowed.

Smelt, I used to get loads of pike on smelt, but they are quite soft and split, so don't take too many casts.

Herring, I get various sizes, some big enough to cut into two baits, some whole. They can be hit and miss, some days, sometimes loads, other days nowt.

Mackeral are my old faithful, again various sizes, from whole joeys to large mackeral which may get head and tailed again. Both head and tail catch fish. My biggest fish have come on head!

If I could only use four baits, those would be them, but now I usually take a few bluey's. For some reason, on one local lake, blueys were the best bait, either head or tail half, producing fish from singles to high doubles.

Lamprey, a good bait, if you tie them to the trace as well as hook them, you can catch a number of fish on one bait, they are tough skinned, and bleed well.

I also have both rainbow and brown trout in my freezer, the Wensum I found produced some good fish to brownies.

I did get some skimmer bream, but I found they weren't as good as roach in deadbaits.

Those deadbaits are pretty much all I use!

I make my own traces, an upper single hook, with a treble at the end, size 6 single, a 4 or 6 treble. I normslly hook my deadbaits in the root of the tail and just along the back for whole deadbaits and tail end, or the single in the mouth and treble in the flank for heads.

Coarse fish I do often hook headfirst though, as working them back, either sink and draw, or even gradual slow pause wait and retrieve can produce a fish or two.

Most of my pike fishing is float paternostered on one rod, and ledgered on the other, I rarely fish more than two pike rods.

If you use inline floats, you can use them on both lakes and rivers, whereas bottom end only floats are pretty much stillwater only.

I have a stopknot above the float at the depth set, easy to slide with wet fingers if you need to increase or decrease the depth.

I also use an uptrace sometimes with a bored weight on it to keep the bait down as in the picture, or in case I remove the paternoster link and have a free roving or drifting bait.

I can use that setup with both live and dead baits. The uptrace prevents any livie tangling in the mainline. Again, check rules on livebait fishing.

The paternoster link is weighted with whatever weight I need to hold bottom, from 2ounces upwards, and the hook trace is clipped on a sea fishing Breakaway Spinlink clip for easy trace change.

In flowing water, keep the rod tips high on the float rod, it reduces the flow dragging it out of position downstream, although searching the bottom with a buoyant bait, like a drifting pop-up, can produce, or show the place for takes.

Ledgering, get drop-off rear indicators which can work with your front buzzers, monkey climbers or carp indicators I found no good, not sensitive enough, and create too much resistance. Pike can drop a bait if they don't like the resistance!

I normally paternoster ledger as well, a run ring or even tie the paternoster link to the uptrace and hook trace join.

That mono paternoster link is the only place I am ever happy to snap.

Mainline, I use braid on most waters, 40lb minimum. Unlike in carp fishing, you need to get every fish in without losses from tackle breaking. Hookpulls I can deal with, but not breaking mainline or traces, it will kill pike if you do leave a hook in a fish.

image.jpeg

A general rule of thumb for lure fishing is bright day - bright lure, dark day - dark lure.  When it's sunny exploit the flash of metallic surfaces and bright colours and when overcast go darker so they can more easily home in on the sillouette.

if you are buying ready mades you will need to check the quality, look carefully at the crimps to be sure they are closed off right.

i have had them give way at the most inappropriate times, maybe cos the person on the assembly line was thinking more about their lunch or clocking out to go home :lol::lol:

if you decide to make your own dont fall for the hype and buy the Korda Krimp pliers they are stinky winky, i have had two sets and both have snapped off at the jaws on first use, i now use a pair of electrical pliers with a groove filed into the jaw for the crimp.

baitwise, supermarket every time, sardine, mackerel and small trout do the job for me, get a sharp knife and strip the fillet from the mackerel down the spine, blood and oils pull pike in for you.

live baiting just spend ten mins catching roach from the same water if allowed as it is illegal to livebait stock from elsewhere as you would know :wink:

good luck buddy :lol: