Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Liquorsnurf

Drop shot newbie from norfolk

Hi Guys,

Looking to start going drop shotting for perch soon, as the winter roles in. I have never done it before can anyone offer me any useful hints and tips? also does anybody know of any decent spots along the Wensum or Yare in the norfolk/norwich area to do this?

Owdo chap... if you already have a rod and reel and some lures, there are plenty of drop shotting tutorials on YouTube... as a suggestion I'd look for some structure, pilings, locks, or drop offs, back eddies and most of all I'd take some natural baits with you.... lobworms or prawns... also some red maggots... I've found Perch need to be fed heavily in order to get them in the mood to take a lure.... if Pike are in the area then an up trace is recommended as  Pike will bite through a Fluourocarbon hooklink

On 30/10/2018 at 12:47, bluelabel said:

Owdo chap... if you already have a rod and reel and some lures, there are plenty of drop shotting tutorials on YouTube... as a suggestion I'd look for some structure, pilings, locks, or drop offs, back eddies and most of all I'd take some natural baits with you.... lobworms or prawns... also some red maggots... I've found Perch need to be fed heavily in order to get them in the mood to take a lure.... if Pike are in the area then an up trace is recommended as  Pike will bite through a Fluourocarbon hooklink

When you say up trace mate, do you mean just do a rig in trace as oppose to fluoro, then tie it onto the braid? I'm also new to drop shotting. Got all the gear as I've done some lure/spinner fishing for perch. Where I plan on targeting some big perch there is pike . Thanks 

You rig a trace above the lure instead of fluorocarbon to avoid bite offs from pike... you can use premade traces and attach to the hook via a snap link or make your own with crimps... you can knot the Drennan multistrand in finer poundages but it is prone to kinking...  Below the hook just use a length of mono to attach your drop shot weight onto... make sure the trace is long enough to not get cut off by a pikes teeth if it takes the lure right down... hope this helps

1 hour ago, bluelabel said:

You rig a trace above the lure instead of fluorocarbon to avoid bite offs from pike... you can use premade traces and attach to the hook via a snap link or make your own with crimps... you can knot the Drennan multistrand in finer poundages but it is prone to kinking...  Below the hook just use a length of mono to attach your drop shot weight onto... make sure the trace is long enough to not get cut off by a pikes teeth if it takes the lure right down... hope this helps

A great help, cheers