Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
greekskii

winter plans

I haven't a clue at the moment Vik , fishing has really taken a back seat with work & family illness.  Would like to get up Horseshoe while it's quiet for a few sessions & catch up with a few of the lads I know up there been far to long . Didn't renew my syndi ticket due to banning zigs,  all it would of left me to do was to fish over other members bait & there's no fulfilment in that . 2 1/2 hour drive to fish another members baited spot not for me , as stunning as the fish are . Just couldn't imagine sitting on my hands watching fish hit a hatch in over 20ft of water a hunderd yards out & not fish for them . Really at a bit of a loss for next season thinking it's time to get back to the flowing water tbh .

Why did they ban zigs? Too effective or fish safety concerns? I agree with you though. Long journey to not be able to fish how you’d like!! How high is it until they stop calling it a pop up? 

Flowing water sounds a good idea, rivers are throwing up some serious fish this year, especially considering otters are at large and decimating Everywhere. I’ve been told about a few stretches that hold decent carp but don’t get fish, and been told I can fish them too. Tempted but I doubt I’ll get round to it, at a bit of a loss next year myself though. 

19 minutes ago, greekskii said:

Why did they ban zigs? Too effective or fish safety concerns? I agree with you though. Long journey to not be able to fish how you’d like!! How high is it until they stop calling it a pop up? 

Flowing water sounds a good idea, rivers are throwing up some serious fish this year, especially considering otters are at large and decimating Everywhere. I’ve been told about a few stretches that hold decent carp but don’t get fish, and been told I can fish them too. Tempted but I doubt I’ll get round to it, at a bit of a loss next year myself though. 

The main reason was due to foul hooking apparently,  one of the guys behind the syndicate recently took on the running of a very busy commercial up that way & apparently was seeing a lot of foul hooked fish . So thought he would implement the same rules on both , even the the two waters couldn't be further apart . 1 being heavily stocked & far to many anglers on at one time so the fish were running the gauntlet of zigs  & the syndi with roughly 80 - 90 carp 20ft deep plus in most places & around 8 acres with two anglers on when busy . Also think they mentioned not enough bait going in which is also flawed , as you always bait a few areas to see if you get a response anyway . All in all not for me the end .

My current ticket is valid until April next year, but I'm looking at joining a local club next year that gives me access to 5 miles of the grand union canal it's only£40 for the year, the only downside is coping with the boats going up and down .....

24 minutes ago, cloud9 said:

My current ticket is valid until April next year, but I'm looking at joining a local club next year that gives me access to 5 miles of the grand union canal it's only£40 for the year, the only downside is coping with the boats going up and down .....

Which club is that mate? I had a wreake ticket when I was living in Harborough for a while. Some good looking sections of the canal on that ticket. 

Just noticed this thread has been created. I’ll expand on my post.

So the park lake is well and truly giving me the run around again and with extremely limited time, midweeks mainly from now on I’m looking to pick up a members ticket up on a local day ticket complex for the winter. Fishing for 10 fish in 6 acres is hard enough at the best of times! Don’t fancy it through the winter at all. The swans get needier too when the visitors slow down as well and become borderline abusive 😂. The reason to drop off now when there’s still some half decent weather left is to try and establish the bait and get a few on the scorecard and learn where they start to congregate instead of turning up blind in December  

I’m also testing a highly digestible mix which won’t leave the fish full up for long so much more suited to a higher stocked water and im going to try use fluoros a bit more instead of the standard matching pop ups...also got Brazil nuts to mess about with. 

Really looking forward to the Winter. Keeping it nice and local and will try to give it a 48hr sesh per week on my local little confidence water..... It's in a bit of a dip in the land, so once the temps start dropping it can shut down a bit and takes a few weeks longer to warm up in the Spring, compared to other lakes in the area.... But I'm just going to plod through it.....  The fish are pretty easy to find, getting them to feed at will is a different proposition, the water will be gin clear, but 3 rods through the Winter and not many fishing means I can cover quite a bit of water and experiment a bit on at least 1 rod with different hookbaits.. Been thinking mega sweet singles on this one, roving/re casting regularly. With the other 2 put on spots and primed for bite time...……. Winter nights have been very unproductive for me on this lake in the past, thinking zigs might change that in the right conditions...….. Gonna take my little Jack Russel with me for a bit of company and warmth, even if I do get covered in white hairs....😃.. Bit of dog scent around the lake won't do any harm re otters.

23 hours ago, greekskii said:

Which club is that mate? I had a wreake ticket when I was living in Harborough for a while. Some good looking sections of the canal on that ticket. 

its the wellingborough and district club , they have the stretch from foxton to husbands bosworth, had a walk along part of it in the summer and it looks promising ......  

9 hours ago, cloud9 said:

its the wellingborough and district club , they have the stretch from foxton to husbands bosworth, had a walk along part of it in the summer and it looks promising ......  

Yes mate some good looking spots on that ticket too. Don’t think they run the matches as much anymore. Order a ton of backleads! I was using two per rod to keep my line out of the way and half the time still having to redo them. Too much leaf litter being stirred up! 

That's the only downside is the boats going up and down, I've been thinking about just doing early morning and evening sessions just to try and get a few hours without the boats , will have to see how it goes and play it by ear I think...