Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Tree123

Spomb stick or catty?

2 hours ago, yonny said:

Pellets are a good one for keeping in the car lads. You can fit kilos and kilos in an airtight bucket and they last all season. A few tins of corn are a must too!

Was it you that posted a link to that 25kg bags of pellet cheap. I can't seem to find it anywhere now? Resend if possible please. How long does pellet keep? What's their shelf life? Thanks 

1 hour ago, salokcinnodrog said:

I think that 'pile it in' approach is used by a lot of anglers everywhere, no matter what type of lake they are fishing. Not every angler looks at the situation they are fishing in, it seems many follow the media advertised method rather than think about how a lake needs to be approached.

This I've noticed. A lot of anglers nowadays take no notice of the water, nor what water they are fishing. It's just a case of , I'm spodding out loads regardless. I know this method works , cause as a young teen I had my record 31lb over massive beds of spodded bait. But it's not for every situation . Also how long your session is must be important. If your on a short day session I think a lot of the time, a bit more finesse may be  required 

1 hour ago, Tree123 said:

Not a massive pellet fan only really use them in winter like a tiny little bag of 2-3mm

I actually back off on pellet in winter. Nowhere near as effective as in summer due to the high oil content in cold water, depending on what type you use obviously.

13 minutes ago, Dannygooner said:

Was it you that posted a link to that 25kg bags of pellet cheap. I can't seem to find it anywhere now? Resend if possible please. How long does pellet keep? What's their shelf life? Thanks 

It was me yes mate, see below. As long as you keep them dry and cool, sealed as best you can, they'll be ok for up to a year mate.

https://www.fishingbaitworld.co.uk/skretting-elite-trout-pellets-85mm-25kg.ir

19 minutes ago, yonny said:

I actually back off on pellet in winter. Nowhere near as effective as in summer due to the high oil content in cold water, depending on what type you use obviously.

It was me yes mate, see below. As long as you keep them dry and cool, sealed as best you can, they'll be ok for up to a year mate.

https://www.fishingbaitworld.co.uk/skretting-elite-trout-pellets-85mm-25kg.ir

Top man 👍🏻

I use coarse/carp pellet rather than the high oil halibut types and even then only a small handful at a time. (4+6+8mm to get em grubbing around)

Because I can usually only manage  short sessions I've tried to be less formulaic in my approach over the last year, different baits (no boilies)

No heavy baiting, (just a few morsels on key spots)

More mobile (1 or sometimes 2 rods and no longer than an hour or so in each swim)

Being less blatant (keeping myself out of view from the water & different rigs, sometimes even freelining and hooked baits rather than hair rigged)

My old mentor Norman Frere once said to me "one cast in the right spot is worth a thousand in the wrong uns"

I still carry my catty, throwing stick and PVA & more rarely, my spod/spomb rod, but... I'm too busy trying to find where that "Right Spot" is to worry about em🤣🤣😛   

16 hours ago, bluelabel said:

I use coarse/carp pellet rather than the high oil halibut types and even then only a small handful at a time. (4+6+8mm to get em grubbing around)

Because I can usually only manage  short sessions I've tried to be less formulaic in my approach over the last year, different baits (no boilies)

No heavy baiting, (just a few morsels on key spots)

More mobile (1 or sometimes 2 rods and no longer than an hour or so in each swim)

Being less blatant (keeping myself out of view from the water & different rigs, sometimes even freelining and hooked baits rather than hair rigged)

My old mentor Norman Frere once said to me "one cast in the right spot is worth a thousand in the wrong uns"

I still carry my catty, throwing stick and PVA & more rarely, my spod/spomb rod, but... I'm too busy trying to find where that "Right Spot" is to worry about em🤣🤣😛   

I think.shorter session make you work harder imo  because it makes you work  rather then boring one out. Most 9f my trips  one nighters  now as I have a Mrs  and a house to do up and much prefer it  compared  to when i used to do 3 nights. As it so much less hassle to organise myself and mean I do lighter so can be more mobile