Jump to content
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Dave Hedgehog

Toothache

Recommended Posts

Not really banter but really suffering at the moment. Had to visit the emergency dentist on Boxing Day and the pains not eased with the amoxicillin she gave me. Back to a proper dentist tomorrow at 9am. Absolutely terrified. Fear of the dentist has ruled my life for years and I know tomorrow is going to be a nightmare. Dreading it. 

Any pain relief advice considered!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Dave Hedgehog said:

Not really banter but really suffering at the moment. Had to visit the emergency dentist on Boxing Day and the pains not eased with the amoxicillin she gave me. Back to a proper dentist tomorrow at 9am. Absolutely terrified. Fear of the dentist has ruled my life for years and I know tomorrow is going to be a nightmare. Dreading it. 

Any pain relief advice considered!

I've been there many times.

Don't over do it on the pain relief.

I had a really bad abscess under my wisdom tooth once and after 2 weeks of antibiotics it was no better, I got some tramadol and cocodamal of my neighbour who had been in a motorbike accident.

Went on an already planned fishing trip and overdone it on the painkillers , ended up in my bivvy hallucinating and feeling proper rough.

My friends were close to calling an ambulance for me.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Dave Hedgehog said:

Not really banter but really suffering at the moment. Had to visit the emergency dentist on Boxing Day and the pains not eased with the amoxicillin she gave me. Back to a proper dentist tomorrow at 9am. Absolutely terrified. Fear of the dentist has ruled my life for years and I know tomorrow is going to be a nightmare. Dreading it. 

Any pain relief advice considered!

Oil of cloves, get from any chemists.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, muftyboy said:

I've been there many times.

Don't over do it on the pain relief.

I had a really bad abscess under my wisdom tooth once and after 2 weeks of antibiotics it was no better, I got some tramadol and cocodamal of my neighbour who had been in a motorbike accident.

Went on an already planned fishing trip and overdone it on the painkillers , ended up in my bivvy hallucinating and feeling proper rough.

My friends were close to calling an ambulance for me.

 

Lol. i bet that was a shock to you, both tramadol and cocodamal are synthetic opiates, it is usually one or the other rarely both at the same time, i get a painkiller for my shoulder called zapain, it is the strongest opiate a GP can prescribe without the input of a specialist consultant, if i take two in the same day it really does wobble me.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Dave Hedgehog said:

Not really banter but really suffering at the moment. Had to visit the emergency dentist on Boxing Day and the pains not eased with the amoxicillin she gave me. Back to a proper dentist tomorrow at 9am. Absolutely terrified. Fear of the dentist has ruled my life for years and I know tomorrow is going to be a nightmare. Dreading it. 

Any pain relief advice considered!

Amoxi blooming cillin. Complete waste of time. Go back for stronger anti biotics. I refuse amoxicillin for anything now. They offer these as they are the cheapest and by far the most useless. They should rename amoxicillin second trip. Because if the doc gives you them you'll be making a return trip for more help. Better antibiotics will sort you out mate 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
47 minutes ago, Carpbell_ll said:

Lol. i bet that was a shock to you, both tramadol and cocodamal are synthetic opiates, it is usually one or the other rarely both at the same time, i get a painkiller for my shoulder called zapain, it is the strongest opiate a GP can prescribe without the input of a specialist consultant, if i take two in the same day it really does wobble me.

I’ve been offered zapain from a mate who had them for whiplash! Might give them a go then.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Carpbell_ll said:

Lol. i bet that was a shock to you, both tramadol and cocodamal are synthetic opiates, it is usually one or the other rarely both at the same time, i get a painkiller for my shoulder called zapain, it is the strongest opiate a GP can prescribe without the input of a specialist consultant, if i take two in the same day it really does wobble me.

I forgot to mention the ibuprofen I was taking as well.

Messed my stomach up for days after.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, Dave Hedgehog said:

Well I’m back to the dentist tomorrow so hoping they’ll sort the pain. I know the tooth needs removing really but kind of hoping they sort the pain first and give me a break from it for a few days!

How did it go Dave ? .

😊

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well... arrived at the dentist at 8.30 just as the doors were opening. Only to be told by the receptionist that as I hadn’t been for 8 years I’d have to do a new patient examination and that would have to be booked for another day. I’ll be honest, I had a mini meltdown at that point and somewhat threw my toys out of the pram. It drew the attention of a dentist enough to whisk me into a side room out the way.

The tooth needs to come out but it’s infected too badly to remove it at the moment. He’s given me a week of metronidazole. Hoping it kicks in soon. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Dave Hedgehog said:

Well... arrived at the dentist at 8.30 just as the doors were opening. Only to be told by the receptionist that as I hadn’t been for 8 years I’d have to do a new patient examination and that would have to be booked for another day. I’ll be honest, I had a mini meltdown at that point and somewhat threw my toys out of the pram. It drew the attention of a dentist enough to whisk me into a side room out the way.

The tooth needs to come out but it’s infected too badly to remove it at the moment. He’s given me a week of metronidazole. Hoping it kicks in soon. 

You poor devil , Dave .

Who wouldn't have lost it when you were wound up already ? .

It's been 2 hours since your post , hope you are finally pain free .

When you do have your tooth removed you'll have a general anesthetic ? .

😊

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ring 111 or NHS helpline, emergency dentist at hospital, normally £30 to get it pulled. 

I use arm & hammer sensitive care toothpaste, it has liquid calcium, which is amazing at sealing small cavities thus eliminating minor toothache, without a doubt the best on the market for sensitive teeth 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

dont know if this works or not but its worth a try

I suffer from insomnia and take sleeping tablets to deal with it

I don't like taking them to late as it makes me feel groggy the next day so one night when it was late I chewed one to see if it worked faster and was a bit shocked to find my tongue gums lips and throat  all went numb like the anaesthetic you get at the dentist and thought it would be handy if I ever got tooth ache

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, harpz_31 said:

dont know if this works or not but its worth a try

I suffer from insomnia and take sleeping tablets to deal with it

I don't like taking them to late as it makes me feel groggy the next day so one night when it was late I chewed one to see if it worked faster and was a bit shocked to find my tongue gums lips and throat  all went numb like the anaesthetic you get at the dentist and thought it would be handy if I ever got tooth ache

Thanks dr harpz, I’m all for a home remedy but chewing up sleeping tabs like terry Hearn chews up tiger nuts might be a step too far! 😂

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 30/12/2018 at 15:46, Carpbell_ll said:

Lol. i bet that was a shock to you, both tramadol and cocodamal are synthetic opiates, it is usually one or the other rarely both at the same time, i get a painkiller for my shoulder called zapain, it is the strongest opiate a GP can prescribe without the input of a specialist consultant, if i take two in the same day it really does wobble me.

Are you sure? this is of the net; Paracetamol is known for its fever-reducing and pain-relieving qualities. Codeine is a suppressant which blocks pain signals and the cough reflex. This combination makes Zapain a very powerful painkiller that works quickly and effectively.

I am prescribed pain medicine far far stronger. GPs do prescribe morphine, oxycodone, fentanyl, buprenorphine, Oxymorphone, which I take at given times dictated by the GP so that I don't become used to or dependent on them.     

Edited by levigsp

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I also meant to say that the best pain meds for tooth ache are 2x200 mg ibrupafen + 2x500mg paracetamol. I was told this by a good dentist and thought it cannot be right as neither drug works on me, 1 day later when nothing else worked I tried it, it works!.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, levigsp said:

Are you sure? this is of the net; Paracetamol is known for its fever-reducing and pain-relieving qualities. Codeine is a suppressant which blocks pain signals and the cough reflex. This combination makes Zapain a very powerful painkiller that works quickly and effectively.

I am prescribed pain medicine far far stronger. GPs do prescribe morphine, oxycodone, fentanyl, buprenorphine, Oxymorphone, which I take at given times dictated by the GP so that I don't become used to or dependent on them.     

I haven't seen a consultant at the hospital for my rota cuff and collar bone problems, the GP does me steroid injections and painkillers, only had one steroid shot to date worked well.

I always thought you had to see a consultant that specializes in cancer or one of the chronic pain illnesses before a GP could give out anything stronger than codeine.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, Dave Hedgehog said:

Thanks dr harpz, I’m all for a home remedy but chewing up sleeping tabs like terry Hearn chews up tiger nuts might be a step too far! 😂

well id use a little common sense and crush 1 up and rub a bit of the powder around the base of the affected tooth, especially before bed time

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×