Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Hi all just getting into fishing with my 5 year old daughter and was looking for a coach who could teach me how to catch more consistently I've been fishing a few time but with no luck I've only ever caught one small carp and would love to have a nice farther daughter hobby for the weekends I live I the Wiltshire area 

many thanks dave 

Edited by Daveyyd95

On 11/01/2019 at 21:49, Daveyyd95 said:

Hi all just getting into fishing with my 5 year old daughter and was looking for a coach who could teach me how to catch more consistently I've been fishing a few time but with no luck I've only ever caught one small carp and would love to have a nice farther daughter hobby for the weekends I live I the Wiltshire area 

many thanks dave 

Hi Davey

Unfortunately Wilts. is not my area .

I'm not surprised you're not catching much at this time of year , it's the hardest time of year to get consistent results .

If you can find Nick's post where he describes how he fishes his local Bromeswell lakes , I think you could have a lot of fun following his tactics .

😃 

It's going to be expensive, probably at least £100 a time I would reckon and that's for a day session. There are plenty of YouTube video's that should be able to point you in the right direction. Unfortunately as mentioned, January is a hard time and only for the hard core, 5 year old girls probably wouldn't last too long!

Try somewhere prolific, Shearwater is in Wiltshire is and on a day ticket and big bags are on the cards if you hit it right - even if not the bream will keep you busy!

Good luck and hope it goes well.

Welcome to Carp.com.

Right now in January is quite possibly the hardest time to catch fish, and possibly the hardest to keep warm, especially for a young girl.

We are in the middle of winter, most likely the fish are all holed and shoaled up together in one area of the lake. That is not always the deepest part of the lake, in fact it is rarely the place to find them.

The places to find them are often by snags, reed beds, dead weed beds, next to gravel bars, drop-offs and natural food, where they don't have to move far.

Find a water where fish are regularly caught through winter, not necessarily the biggest fish, but regular catches. It may be that baitwise you go on 'small fish' route, maggots, sweetcorn, even small pieces of luncheon meat around half of little finger nail size. You may catch other species, catching regularly, even if not carp, is more fun than blanking, but carp may move in if you are catching silver fish like roach, or skimmer bream.

It may be that float fishing with size 14-16 hooks is the best way to catch, even pole fishing!

What I used to do is take my children fishing with them using a pole or float rod, and set them up to catch silver fish, and coach them myself, while I often slung out a carp (or pike) rod or two. Feed small amounts of bait regularly, tiny balls of groundbait or loose feed. While they caught silver fish, keeping their interest going, my rods would sometimes produce a big carp or pike which I would then let them play in if they wanted to.

Your places to look for help, for decent local waters, clubs, tactics, and general advice is your local tackle shop and the local angling club, possibly a local day ticket water which offers advice on catching.