Jump to content
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Leonard

Simple Banging Groundbait Mix

Recommended Posts

I want to share this recipe with you all as I mucked about with it for YEARS (and I do mean years). It suits carp fishing only, binds amazingly, fishes with any boilie and hookbaits (no flavour clashes possible) and they love it! (If you do catch a giant roach on it, don't sue me)!

I love groundbait, I use tiny amounts just to spread a bit of extra attraction on the spots. I really believe it works best in small amounts, I bring 700g (one third of the mix) with me over three days, the idea being just pinging out or (better) throwing a few tiny, large boilie sized balls every now and again, sly, stealthy, sneaky..

People think of groundbait as sloshing in bucketloads, welcome rudd and pike is all I have to say about that!

Anyway here it is:

Two tub of Paxo breadcrumbs (227g per tub). Ace consistent quality, super binding quality (guten), attraction in its own right; Golden all the way as it has magical paprika and turmeric added and the colour is just ''well carpy''!

500g squashed frozen boilie, flavour of no consequence whatsoever as long as it's a favourite of yours (the salty additives will preserve the mix in the fridge indefinitely, so no need for yukky preserved shelf life boilies) ;) 

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

300g tinned corn with juice, (be exact, eat the spares, Lidl do 300g gross weight own brand tins)

710g tin Bait Tech Super Seed Parti Mix (legenday superb completely nut free blend, mushy consistency makes the mix perfect and bind beautifully). I use about five tins a year so I don't care about cost effectiveness of it Vs. home cooked or bulk. I can't think of anything more mundane than cooking bait, and besides bringing all 10 ingredients together would cost me a night in the pub, and we can't have that, can we!?

100g 50 50 mix of Premier Baits 'Goo' Liquid* and Sticky Baits Cloudy Bloodworm Liquid * (called that for years before the radioactive stuff came along) 

Mixes out to exactly 210 grams, split into thirds will fit perfectly in 0.9 litre mini tupperwares (enough for three days)!

* 50 50 mix of both because, when you try the Goo for the first time, you will see why it needs mixing with a thinner liquid! (Think holding the bottle upside down for an hour for no emergence, FABULOUS stuff).

Tight lines, cheers, go get 'em.

Try some on an inline, small sized Pallatrax Stonze weight for the best method feeder EVER.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

.

 

Edited by Leonard

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sticky's Bloodworm is a banger as well

Shame it strangely wasn't popular enough for them to mantain frozen, my results on a busy, special club lake went berserk on it back in the day with bigger and better fish

The cloudy is great, and the pellets are super too. Word on the street is a mix of bloodworm and manilla pellets 50 50 for a speckled, mixed up colour, fabulous stick mix

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Interesting posts guys I am also using the matrix at present even though I've still only managed 2 tench with it I don't think it is the bait,I am confident using it, it just screams great bait tbh the smell the texture, and also I emailed Tony a few times and he has always been helpful, have either of you used the pellets before was thinking of trying those as well might have to try the goo as well now 😀

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, elmoputney said:

Interesting posts guys I am also using the matrix at present even though I've still only managed 2 tench with it I don't think it is the bait,I am confident using it, it just screams great bait tbh the smell the texture, and also I emailed Tony a few times and he has always been helpful, have either of you used the pellets before was thinking of trying those as well might have to try the goo as well now 😀

Use the goo as a glug for your freebies, especially this time of year 😉

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, emmcee said:

Use the goo as a glug for your freebies, especially this time of year 😉

Im going to have a look into making my own goo, I think it can be done on the cheap and made to match flavours exactly will let you know how I get on 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, elmoputney said:

Im going to have a look into making my own goo, I think it can be done on the cheap and made to match flavours exactly will let you know how I get on 

Don't think you'll match premiers goo. It's not the same goo as in Korda goo. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, elmoputney said:

Im going to have a look into making my own goo, I think it can be done on the cheap and made to match flavours exactly will let you know how I get on 

Try the Premier Fish Goo stuff we've been on about, that would be hard to better IMO

It is literally like a bovril paste made from fish extract of some sort (secret naturally) enzymes or proteins, L zero type stuff, I have no idea what is is, and never will as they would never tell me!!!!!!!!!!!1

I wouldn't be worried about matching flavours, I fell into that trap years ago and you simply end up spending too much. I would simply make a liquid for use over any bait, there's a whole World of possibility out there, I used prawn shell stock before, the really sweet proper frozen whole ''Greenland'' ones from a good fishmonger are the ones, not those big horrible steroid eating things

The only flavour clash I ever heard of was that one bait buff told me not to combine meat flavours with fruit as he said they will not work in the same bait, but people sell liver and fruit boilies, I think it depends on what type of flavours he himself was using, it gets very complicated but the general consensus is (pretty much)  that anything will work with anything as long as the levels are not so high that they will be repellant (very easily done apparently as carp have a massively sensitive food detection ability)

I'm not the one to talk to anyway as I am Mr. Boring with bait nowadays. Everything comes from a bait company or four except for some breadcrumbs and sweetcorn from the shops, lol.. I'm happy though and that's all that matters really!

 

 

 

 

 

 

Edited by Leonard

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, emmcee said:

Don't think you'll match premiers goo. It's not the same goo as in Korda goo. 

Exactly what I said in a long winded way mate lol

Premier's Fish Goo was around for (20)? Years before the neon flash stuff came along

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

meant to say in that enormous original post which took me ages, lol

Groundbait is the perfect carrier for particle, I'd personally much rather use a small bit in a groundbait catty or sling thing than use a noisy spomb (tacklebox still doing groundbait casting slings if anybody's interested, just about, if you're quick)

you can send a casting sling thing it MILES further than any spod or spomb, FW talks at length about slinging groundbait in Every Bit Of Blue, He called it a ''cataspod'' lol, I think he sent a ball of groundbait 280 yards (no kidding, measured formally at a show)..

Very good book by the way, very imaginative chap indeed, the bait sections are fascinating especially, and the early chapters on Redesmere etc. are magic, a great read get on it

Edited by Leonard

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think a matching one would be good though as you could give all your freebies and pre baited spots the same flavour signal and at a reasonable cost, I know you could do this also with the premier goo but it would be nice to tinker with something :)

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, elmoputney said:

I think a matching one would be good though as you could give all your freebies and pre baited spots the same flavour signal and at a reasonable cost, I know you could do this also with the premier goo but it would be nice to tinker with something :)

 

Too much flavour (as in chemical flavour) can be more of a repellent than an attractor.  Premier goo is all  natural. Big difference 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, elmoputney said:

I think a matching one would be good though as you could give all your freebies and pre baited spots the same flavour signal and at a reasonable cost, I know you could do this also with the premier goo but it would be nice to tinker with something :)

 

Yeah, sure, tinkering about with bait is super fun

Rather than think of it as a Goo, which whether you are looking at the old Premier stuff or the new stuff has very scret recipes, why not think of it as just a liquid or glug, or soak whatever you want to call it mate, that way you will find no end of ideas and help with it, glug making has I'm sure been well covered on here in the past? Anyway tight lines and good luck

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, Leonard said:

meant to say in that enormous original post which took me ages, lol

Groundbait is the perfect carrier for particle, I'd personally much rather use a small bit in a groundbait catty or sling thing than use a noisy spomb (tacklebox still doing groundbait casting slings if anybody's interested, just about, if you're quick)

you can send a casting sling thing it MILES further than any spod or spomb, FW talks at length about slinging groundbait in Every Bit Of Blue, He called it a ''cataspod'' lol, I think he sent a ball of groundbait 280 yards (no kidding, measured formally at a show)..

Very good book by the way, very imaginative chap indeed, the bait sections are fascinating especially, and the early chapters on Redesmere etc. are magic, a great read get on it

A few mates of mine have used this method for years in delivering their particle using the sling shot. On one lake one angler tried the technique but failed miserably,  he took to a boat and just chucked the balls in the air over his spot, they nicknamed him the juggler.  The thing is, it's not that technique that caught them the fish but their particle mix which  when used on a lake that's not seen it , it hammers the lake. 

Edited by emmcee

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, emmcee said:

Too much flavour (as in chemical flavour) can be more of a repellent than an attractor.  Premier goo is all  natural. Big difference 

Yes indeed. Premier, like most bait companies, would never sell something ready for use that wasn't safe to be thrown in by the bucketload if that's what an angler (who had the money) wished to do with it!

Obviously they all sell concentrated flavours, but they are very clear about dosages on those. Some people do use very small amounts of neat flavour as a bait ''shine'' for hookbaits and swear by it mind

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, emmcee said:

A few mates of mine have used this method for years in delivering their particle using the sling shot. On one lake one angler tried the technique but failed miserably,  he took to a boat and just chucked the balls in the air over his spot, they nicknamed him the juggler.  The thing is, it's not that technique that caught them the fish but their particle mix which  when used on a lake that's not seen it , it hammers the lake. 

A clever particle mix can be deadly, sure

Check out Frank Warwick's every bit of blue, you'd definitely enjoy his bait sections

Rod Hutchinson was the king of particles though, pioneered all that, you could do FAR worse than use his famous ''Redmire blend'' of maples, tares and hemp, couldn't tell you the ratio off the top of my head sorry

I'm past all that myself, as In I just mean bait doesn't interest me much any more, I only ever made one DIY mix, it was very expensive to build and it was at a time in my fishing life when I had the patience of spoilt baby anyway so I ditched it when it didn't work. I think I made the mistake of trying to be too flash though, it was one of those old ultra high milk protein type, posh mixes. I don't really believe in all that and am more than happy using a succesful mid protein high digest readymade freezer bait or two these days

 

 

Edited by Leonard

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, Leonard said:

meant to say in that enormous original post which took me ages, lol

Groundbait is the perfect carrier for particle, I'd personally much rather use a small bit in a groundbait catty or sling thing than use a noisy spomb (tacklebox still doing groundbait casting slings if anybody's interested, just about, if you're quick)

you can send a casting sling thing it MILES further than any spod or spomb, FW talks at length about slinging groundbait in Every Bit Of Blue, He called it a ''cataspod'' lol, I think he sent a ball of groundbait 280 yards (no kidding, measured formally at a show)..

Very good book by the way, very imaginative chap indeed, the bait sections are fascinating especially, and the early chapters on Redesmere etc. are magic, a great read get on it

I mentioned in the past about Layer Pits who for a couple of years banned spodding hemp. For those years prepared hemp was added to Vitalin and catapulted in, until the ban was rescinded.

 

With groundbait, Vitalin especially, you can put it in PVA mesh to get it near the hook bait if you don't like Method ball around the lead, or a water has a no free bait unless you put it in via PVA ban.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, salokcinnodrog said:

I mentioned in the past about Layer Pits who for a couple of years banned spodding hemp. For those years prepared hemp was added to Vitalin and catapulted in, until the ban was rescinded.

 

With groundbait, Vitalin especially, you can put it in PVA mesh to get it near the hook bait if you don't like Method ball around the lead, or a water has a no free bait unless you put it in via PVA ban.

Yeah vitalin mix only, or birdfood content..

you have to be careful with PVA mesh bags of groundbait. I've been there, reeled in in the morning to find the hook still embedded in a ball of groundbait, even the mesh was still intact as I'd put so much oil in the mix (yuk, lol)

Frank Warwick goes over this subject, he says you need (if I remember rightly) about minimum 10% birdfood in there such as Red Factor or CLO as it ''explodes'' any mix

Same thing with method feeders, if I wanted to use that I would replace the breadcrumb content simply with a Haiths ready mix (Honey Red being a great favourite), or, as you say vitalin (because it is so coarse textured it will always break down, something like that anyway)..

 

 

 

Edited by Leonard

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Leonard said:

Yeah, sure, tinkering about with bait is super fun

Rather than think of it as a Goo, which whether you are looking at the old Premier stuff or the new stuff has very scret recipes, why not think of it as just a liquid or glug, or soak whatever you want to call it mate, that way you will find no end of ideas and help with it, glug making has I'm sure been well covered on here in the past? Anyway tight lines and good luck

Yeah this is true or I could just use the matrix bait soak and/or the goo and save myself the hassle,would probably work better and save effort 😀 

I think I've been here before, and should just let them do what they do best and use there stuff so I can concentrate on the fishing which really isn't that easy at the moment anyway 

Tight lines 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, elmoputney said:

Yeah this is true or I could just use the matrix bait soak and/or the goo and save myself the hassle,would probably work better and save effort 😀 

I think I've been here before, and should just let them do what they do best and use there stuff so I can concentrate on the fishing which really isn't that easy at the moment anyway 

Tight lines 

 

 

 

The Matrix bait soak is special, on some lakes it is genuinely lethal :)

Something to do with all the Vitamin E is what makes it so effective apparently

I did well on a tough dayticket using the goo AND the soak, I dried it on between glugs, sort of like 'priming' the baits, the goo first and the oil on top.. magic days ; )

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, Leonard said:

The Matrix bait soak is special, on some lakes it is genuinely lethal :)

Something to do with all the Vitamin E is what makes it so effective apparently

I did well on a tough dayticket using the goo AND the soak, I dried it on between glugs, sort of like 'priming' the baits, the goo first and the oil on top.. magic days ; )

I shall just use the baitsoak for now then and maybe when the going gets tougher resort to the goo, it's not really angler pressure on the lake I am fishing it's more locating the blooming things that's the trouble I do think a liquid will make the baits hold up better as it's silty all round 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sounds a bit like my venue

On some lakes they do move around a LOT which makes all this swim hopping ''getting on them'' nonsense the bigshots force down our throats in the media a complete waste of time mate

Can I suggest doing a long session of 72 hours or so, sitting on your hands with minimal bait out, waiting for them to come to you and having rigs out before they arrive?

(Good book or two helps)!

PS one thing overlooked in silt is, I think, just use a big 18mm boilie, far less chance of it wahsing out quickly, i.e try matching the hatch, I don't go for the flash little pots any more, all I use is minimal 18mm freezer baits and a little tiny tub of groundbait

 

 

 

Edited by Leonard

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Leonard said:

Ignore quoting myself, lol

 

 

 

What happened there? lol

hello me, how are you?

Oh Hi leonard yes I'm fine thanks, you?

Erm, well yes I'm also fine, funnily enough, you?

Erm.... hmmmm... yes

Edited by Leonard

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...