Jump to content
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Paul46

Northants area, venues to go for a night?.

Recommended Posts

I have only been fishing 6months now and I have mainly been carp fishing on mostly runs waters , this weekend I wanted to try a night somewhere where there’s a chance of a 20lb plus fish but without  visiting the harder venues that take more experience and skill.

I was thinking stanwick mallard lake as it a medium difficulty according to the website .

Any advice on places to fish and tips for the venues would be greatly appreciated.

 

regards 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2 July 2019 at 09:54, Paul46 said:

I have only been fishing 6months now and I have mainly been carp fishing on mostly runs waters , this weekend I wanted to try a night somewhere where there’s a chance of a 20lb plus fish but without  visiting the harder venues that take more experience and skill.

I was thinking stanwick mallard lake as it a medium difficulty according to the website .

Any advice on places to fish and tips for the venues would be greatly appreciated.

 

regards 

Never be in too much of a hurry to catch bigger fish. Learn to enjoy what you have, and learn your waters and fishing. Learn how to handle fish, learn different methods, how to use PVA Mesh, bags and stringers. Experiment with baits, particles, boilies, until no matter what you can catch on any method more than those around you. Learn how to bait up with spod, PVA, catapult or throwing stick.

Learn the features that carp like, the snags, weeds, rushes, gravel, or troughs. Learn how to find features, a marker rod and float, or just counting the depth down, so when you do go somewhere harder you can do it quickly with least disturbance.

 

I started carp fishing in 1986, it took until 1992 to catch my first 20. Those years, and the lake I had that 20 from was the only carp of the year. I went back to my 'easier' waters to regularly catch, and strangely enough, I had a 20lb carp out of there in the end.

 

I really don't want to pee on your fireworks, but with bigger fish, be prepared for blanks, it is not as easy as 'just catching'.

I have a mate who fishes as much as me, who probably catches more than I do, but his largest fish is only 17lb, he just doesn't want to sit blanking, and wants to catch.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, salokcinnodrog said:

Never be in too much of a hurry to catch bigger fish.

Couldn't agree more

In the last 3 years I've had a few 30s out of my syndicate but last October I caught a scrappy 17lb'er that gave me the fight of my life and I'd rather catch 1 of them than 10 30+ carp that come in like a bream

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2 July 2019 at 18:16, harpz_31 said:

Couldn't agree more

In the last 3 years I've had a few 30s out of my syndicate but last October I caught a scrappy 17lb'er that gave me the fight of my life and I'd rather catch 1 of them than 10 30+ carp that come in like a bream

I keep going back to it, but at Nazeing in a winter session I had 4 carp; three were 20's, and one was a 17lb mirror. I thought the mirror was the prettiest and enjoyed catching that the most.

 

At Ardleigh, the first fish I caught was 13lb, a heavily scaled mirror on my second session, that meant more than the second which was a 20.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 02/07/2019 at 09:54, Paul46 said:

I have only been fishing 6months now and I have mainly been carp fishing on mostly runs waters , this weekend I wanted to try a night somewhere where there’s a chance of a 20lb plus fish but without  visiting the harder venues that take more experience and skill.

I was thinking stanwick mallard lake as it a medium difficulty according to the website .

Any advice on places to fish and tips for the venues would be greatly appreciated.

 

regards 

Stanwick mallard or Grendon lakes. As yonny said. Wherever you end up going find the fish and fish for them. Be as quiet and stealthy as possible. Day ticket fish tend to move away from noise and obvious lines a lot of the time. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...