Jump to content
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
elmoputney

Pop ups and water clarity what's your preference ?

Recommended Posts

Hi guys 

I thought the zig thread has been interesting and I am currently looking at pop ups quite a lot, mainly in non matching colours to my bait as I use the same matching ones, and I want to make my hookbait stand out 

and I was thinking it may be interesting to see if anyone uses different colour pop ups for different conditions,water clarity etc with regard to making your hookbait stand out, 

The lake I fish is pretty shallow and clear with a silty weedy bottom so what would be your go to choice?

I would say yellow is a No no as its Probably too blatant,and the ducks seem keen on visible bait, I am thinking washed out pink or pink may be ok,

The club lake I have been fishing lately is the total opposite clay based and murky as hell,so my go to would probably be yellow ?

What colour do you guys favour in your own range of conditions ?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, elmoputney said:

Hi guys 

I thought the zig thread has been interesting and I am currently looking at pop ups quite a lot, mainly in non matching colours to my bait as I use the same matching ones, and I want to make my hookbait stand out 

and I was thinking it may be interesting to see if anyone uses different colour pop ups for different conditions,water clarity etc with regard to making your hookbait stand out, 

The lake I fish is pretty shallow and clear with a silty weedy bottom so what would be your go to choice?

I would say yellow is a No no as its Probably too blatant,and the ducks seem keen on visible bait, I am thinking washed out pink or pink may be ok,

The club lake I have been fishing lately is the total opposite clay based and murky as hell,so my go to would probably be yellow ?

What colour do you guys favour in your own range of conditions ?

 

On my runs water this year bright yellow pineapples and pink plum were the main pop-up baits that produced fish, even though the water is quite murky.

 

Last year on Nazeing, very clear water, even brown baits were found in water as deep as 15ft by tufties. 

 

Now I've explained that, for years my favourite pop-up colour has been a brown/red colour , even fading to washed out in the garlic spice flavour of my own. It produced as part of a snowman, (over a food source bottom bait) or as an individual on its own in numbers of waters. Possibly because it does work so well, I have complete faith in it almost everywhere; in fact last year it produced most fish on Bromeswell, although this year I did not use them for some strange reason.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

37 minutes ago, salokcinnodrog said:

On my runs water this year bright yellow pineapples and pink plum were the main pop-up baits that produced fish, even though the water is quite murky.

 

Last year on Nazeing, very clear water, even brown baits were found in water as deep as 15ft by tufties. 

 

Now I've explained that, for years my favourite pop-up colour has been a brown/red colour , even fading to washed out in the garlic spice flavour of my own. It produced as part of a snowman, (over a food source bottom bait) or as an individual on its own in numbers of waters. Possibly because it does work so well, I have complete faith in it almost everywhere; in fact last year it produced most fish on Bromeswell, although this year I did not use them for some strange reason.

 

Thanks nick while I am fairly confident my matching baits will work I want to test the idea and see if a bright/different bait may work quicker, I caught 10 carp on my runs water on matching wafters last week, bottom is clear due to the murkyness so I've no doubt they are finding them and fairly quickly, but it is a runs water but good to see we agree that yellow should work well for murky waters 👍

I also am thinking about using tipped snowman rigs more but I've become a bait screw fan and I am waiting for some longer ones for snowman rigs cos I am too lazy to tie them :)

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've done very well using yellow pop ups over a red fishmeal bait and white pop ups over a brown fishmeal bait. 

That said , yellow pop ups have accounted for over half the carp I've caught in my life. Infact I'd say more like 75% of my catches have fallen to yellow pop ups. Then again that is what I used for 90% of my fishing. This has only started to change over the last few years since I've been using wafters to match my freebies.  I have had some yellow wafters made too , but not as productive as yellow pop ups nor matching wafters. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, elmoputney said:

I was thinking it may be interesting to see if anyone uses different colour pop ups for different conditions,water clarity etc with regard to making your hookbait stand out, 

Elmo, the fox underwater YouTube video I posted in zigs shows how red yellow and black perform underwater. OK they are in the same lake, but interesting how the yellow performs. 

I've never done so well with yellow, although my only fish from the car park came on a yellow topped snowman. In about 8 ft of relatively clear water. The previous syndicate, gin clear I couldn't catch using coloured pop ups, yet matched to the freebies, I did very well. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, elmoputney said:

I would say yellow is a No no as its Probably too blatant,and the ducks seem keen on visible bait, I am thinking washed out pink or pink may be ok

Pink will be more visible/blatant than yellow buddy. Yellow kinda reflects the tones of any weed and chod giving it a green appearance on the deck.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, yonny said:

Pink will be more visible/blatant than yellow buddy. Yellow kinda reflects the tones of any weed and chod giving it a green appearance on the deck.

If my lake is weedy , then yellow pop ups all the way for me

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks guys

I've just ordered some from DNA post free specials 

I went for there half tones to match the flavour of my bait but white and washed out pink 

Some yellow PBS 

Pink perils 

White milky malts 

And some orange fruitylicous 

That should give me enough variety to try and find the right pop up for any situation, I already have matching corkdusk popups and wafters too and actually quite a few others too 

Will let you know what I find out, I think I have been putting my fear of yellow in clear water down to what the birds will see and destroy in the shallower part of the lake , but I have found a couple of nice spots in the deeper end today which will help and I think yellow will be first on the bait screw, when I get them,

I remember catching a few on the old nutrabaits pineapple and banana baits in the olden days I am hoping these pb's smell as good 😁

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That was a bit spooky just listening to ep42 of the carp cast and Rob Hughes did a little talk about DNA pop ups his thoughts were BRIGHT BAITS WORK BEST IN CLEAR WATER,in coloured water they need a strong smell to help the fish locate them,but once they can see them they still work 

Pink will stand out against anything as no bottom is pink 

White is good in shallow clear water with lots of light or deeper water,in average depths he thinks going for a colour may be preferable 

Yellow you may think will stand out but silt underwater is a sort of yellowy colour and will blend into the algae and  filamentous weed but a good fluoro yellow like the pb would be a nice and subtle and stand out enough but not be too blatant 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 09/07/2019 at 05:55, commonly said:

Elmo, the fox underwater YouTube video I posted in zigs shows how red yellow and black perform underwater. OK they are in the same lake, but interesting how the yellow performs. 

I've never done so well with yellow, although my only fish from the car park came on a yellow topped snowman. In about 8 ft of relatively clear water. The previous syndicate, gin clear I couldn't catch using coloured pop ups, yet matched to the freebies, I did very well. 

Ep 42 of the carp cast also has quite a good Interview with Kevin Nash, and they talk about zigs quite a bit I found that quite interesting tbh worth a listen I think 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, elmoputney said:

Some yellow PBS 

Pink perils 

White milky malts 

And some orange fruitylicous 

.......I already have matching corkdusk popups and wafters too and actually quite a few others too

Don't bamboozle yourself Elmo. Any one of those will catch fish if you put it in the right place. No need for 10 tubs of hookbaits imo.

I normally carry a tub of bright ones and a tub of dull ones. And I think their buoyancy is more important than their flavour. My primary concern is that they behave as i intend. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, yonny said:

Don't bamboozle yourself Elmo. Any one of those will catch fish if you put it in the right place. No need for 10 tubs of hookbaits imo.

I normally carry a tub of bright ones and a tub of dull ones. And I think their buoyancy is more important than their flavour. My primary concern is that they behave as i intend. 

Their cork dusk pop ups seem very buoyant so far, I would have no worries leaving one of those out for ages,and also the wafters seem very good too So hopefully these will be the same, tbh the main reason for 5 is the post free deal it works out a lot cheaper to buy more it's just a case of trial and error now to see which will work best or quickest in my angling situations, not having the time like I used to means I need to find the way to get quick bites,the right one should aid that I guess :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/07/2019 at 10:07, elmoputney said:

Their cork dusk pop ups seem very buoyant so far

Cork dust takes on water mate, they dont stay super buoyant for long enough imo.

Cork ball pop ups and proper job pop ups are v buoyant. It's a good idea to tank test every pot you buy so you know what you're dealing with.

Flavour and smell ain't that important to me unless I'm fishing singles. What smells good to us has no relevance in the pond. Colour and buoyancy is v important imo.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It depends how long you need them to to stay buoyant rarely will I leave them out more than 12 hours, I like the cork dust ones they seem very bouyant to me,I've left them out overnight and tested them when I've bought them in still standing firm, I have a pretty good feeling about these baits also, I am a lot happier with my bait choice now, can only try them and find out but I am confident as they seem to catch a lot of fish for others, including some lovely st Ives residents 👍

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10 July 2019 at 09:25, yonny said:

Don't bamboozle yourself Elmo. Any one of those will catch fish if you put it in the right place. No need for 10 tubs of hookbaits imo.

I normally carry a tub of bright ones and a tub of dull ones. And I think their buoyancy is more important than their flavour. My primary concern is that they behave as i intend. 

I went through a stage of carrying a whole bag of various pop-ups; Scopex, Monster Crab, Squid and Octopus, Strawberry Jam, Chocolate Malt, Pineapple Nbutyric, Garlic Spice, Tutti-Frutti, Aniseed and Bunspice

On almost every water with one exception it was the big three that produced.

I got to the stage I found I only needed my own recipe Garlic Spice, Pineapple, Plum.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, salokcinnodrog said:

I went through a stage of carrying a whole bag of various pop-ups; Scopex, Monster Crab, Squid and Octopus, Strawberry Jam, Chocolate Malt, Pineapple Nbutyric, Garlic Spice, Tutti-Frutti, Aniseed and Bunspice

On almost every water with one exception it was the big three that produced.

I got to the stage I found I only needed my own recipe Garlic Spice, Pineapple, Plum.

I haven't said I will be using them all at once btw I may only take a couple with me as I don't like to carry too much these days, it works out a lot cheaper to buy 5 through a post free deal £27.50 than 4 with postage £29.10 so my decision to buy 5 was that it made economic sense, I saved on postage and got more baits for my bucks, 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...