Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Guys I wanna try getting on the particle a cooking/soaking it myself but a little unsure as I've never done it before. So I thought ill go for the cheaper easier option and got myself some maize pigeon conditioner and vitalin but am I right in thinking that the maize gets soaked for 24hours and boilies for 30mins and the pigeon conditioner just needs to be soaked 24hours is this right?

Also any recommendations on choice of flavours/oils to add I was thinking off adding some hemp oil and some of the liquid that is the same flavour as my boilies as I don't want to get carried away with putting to many different flavours in

I've got a couple of old pressure cookers that I use to cook up my particles. I make up a dry mix of pigeon conditioner and hemp (roughly 2:1) and add enough to cover about a quarter of the pan. Fill to about 2/3 with water and leave for 24 hours. It will swell up and if the water level above the particles is less than 3 inches, add some more water. Next the important bit - cook it outside on a gas burner. Do not even attempt to cook it indoors or else your significant other/mum will not be impressed! When the pressure cooker is singing, turn down the gas and give it a 15 minute simmer. I then turn off the gas and leave it in the boiling pan for 24 hours and normally plan to take it out it to co-incide with a trip. When poured into a bucket, you can add salt, don't add it before or else the hemp won't split. I normally then add a kilo of frozen sweetcorn to the bucket and it's done.

Maize is a hard bait and I normally pour boiling water into the pan to pre-soak it to give it a kick start. Again, leave 24 hours, boil and simmer for 15 to 30 minutes. When it is done, test it by squeezing between your finger and thumb. If it doesn't crush, it's too hard and is liable to swell in a fish's stomach and could kill it. I've added mollasses to corn (available from farm shops or horse supplies) and freezing it really draws in the flavour.

I have somtimes added hemp oil to the mix in the summer but don't really think it makes a huge difference.

PARTICLE PREPARATION GUIDELINES

Thanks to www.ccmoore.com for the following table:

Particle, Pre-soak minimum (hours), Boil/Simmer (minutes) 
TIGER NUTS 24 30 
MINI TIGER NUTS 24 30 
JUMBO TIGER NUTS 24 30 
CHICK PEAS 12-18 30 
HEMP SEED 24 Until kernels split 
LARGE HEMP SEED 24 Until kernels split 
TARES 12-18 30 
MAPLE PEAS 12-18 30 
MILO 6 30 
FRENCH MAIZE 24 30 
BUCK WHEAT 6 10 
GRADED WHEAT 6 15 
GRADED BARLEY 6 15 
PEANUT KERNELS 24 30 
ADZUKI BEANS 24 30 
WHOLE BRAZILS 24 30 
BROKEN BRAZILS 12-18 30 
HARICOT BEANS 12-18 30 
RED KIDNEY BEANS 12-18 30 
PINTO BEANS 12-18 30 
SOYA BEANS 12-18 30 
BIRD MIXES * 6 15 
MAIZE 12-18 30 
RED MAIZE 24 30 
SWEET LUPINS 24 30 

*bird seed mixes must not contain peanuts, these may be hazardous to the fish.

NOTES

1. Hemp - during certain times of the year, when hemp becomes difficult to split, follow the above process and then wash it with fresh water, pour boiling water back onto it and leave it to soak in a bucket or pail until it splits (maybe a further 24-48hrs). Don’t panic it will split! 

2. When any product is boiled or heat treated the molecular structure and nutritional profile (including attraction properties) are denatured and damaged. This means that the less boiling time required to make the particles suitable for use, the better. However, it is vital to ensure particle baits are correctly prepared to avoid fish damage. Therefore, pre-soak particles for longer than usual, making required boiling times shorter.

3. To improve attraction properties, leave the boiled particles to soak and partly ferment in their naturally occurring sugars that remain in the boiling water. After several days certain particles will start to form a caramelising liquid that makes the final particle much more attractive.

4. Tiny particles such as hemp, wheat, barley, dari, rapeseed, or mixes of tiny birdseeds, can also be prepared by putting in a lidded bucket or coolbox overnight, with boiling water added.

5. Peanuts MUST be human grade, non-human grade nuts may contain the Aflotoxin fungus, which KILLS FISH. If in doubt, don't use them, or buy peanuts from the Supermarket still in their shells.

6. Maximising soaking times and minimising boil times will result in better nutrient levels in the finished particles. Most particles can be soaked for up to a week before boiling,

Cheers guys but another thing I keep seeing is people using cool boxes and boiling water from the kettle to cook the particle and leaving it to soak over night which seems a lot less hassle but is it as simple as it looks or does it have it limitations??

6 hours ago, Lumeymorris said:

Cheers guys but another thing I keep seeing is people using cool boxes and boiling water from the kettle to cook the particle and leaving it to soak over night which seems a lot less hassle but is it as simple as it looks or does it have it limitations??

It has limitations.

You can only prepare small seeds in this manner, pigeon conditioner, chicken corn feed. If it contains any seeds larger than hemp it must be boiled as well.

The other thing is that just soaking these small particles is not as attractive to the fish as soaking and boiling.

I’m probably going to just boil them as I’m not making to much but do you need to add flavours and oils? As I’ve watch a few videos and they all add there liquids but for now I want to keep things cheap and use stuff out the super market but what ones do you go for I’ll most likely grab some hemp oil but are there any others out there that work really well preferably some that will complement a fish meal hook bait as that’s what I’ll be fishing with it on one rod at least 

1 hour ago, Lumeymorris said:

I’m probably going to just boil them as I’m not making to much but do you need to add flavours and oils? As I’ve watch a few videos and they all add there liquids but for now I want to keep things cheap and use stuff out the super market but what ones do you go for I’ll most likely grab some hemp oil but are there any others out there that work really well preferably some that will complement a fish meal hook bait as that’s what I’ll be fishing with it on one rod at least 

You really don't need to add anything to particles, they work after soaking and boiling au natural. Adding things in is a current fashion. I can honestly say chilli hemp has caught me no more than standard hemp, soaked and boiled pigeon conditioner catches no less than pigeon conditioner soaked with salt!

If I add anything to particles, it is usually at the 'groundbaiting' stage, as I mix Vitalin in to ball it or spod it in. With the Vitalin I add molasses, maybe a bit of condensed milk.

Particles work with ANY  bait, be it birdfood or fishmeal or any other base mix type. They even work as a hookbait in their own right. Stick some particles in a wrap of stocking or tights, tie it off and attach to hair.

One thing I will say, sometimes fish will get pre-occupied on particles, and avoid boilies, I have seen it happen.

So with vitalin am I right in thinking by adding this to the mix will create a cloud?? Or isit just a cheaper version of groundbait??

and that’s a good idea with the particles in tights although I may try the salt trick to make it pva friendly

10 hours ago, Lumeymorris said:

So with vitalin am I right in thinking by adding this to the mix will create a cloud?? Or isit just a cheaper version of groundbait??

and that’s a good idea with the particles in tights although I may try the salt trick to make it pva friendly

Vitalin is a dog food, but this dog food is basically the perfect groundbait. In its own right it makes excellent groundbait to fish the Method. It is perfect to ball up and throw in.

You can pour prepared particles into it, mix it together well, so the Vitalin only just takes on a bit of juice,  leave for 30 minutes or so, then make particle/groundbait balls to throw or catapult in. You may have to play around until you get it right, but you will soon find out how much Vitalin to add to particles.

It does cloud up, and breaks down on the bottom from a ball to form a carpet.