Jump to content
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
bluelabel

Angling pressure, on yourself, not the fish

Recommended Posts

With all the talk of technology flying about, I have to admit to going the other way (oo-er missus) I have reverted back to split-cane rods, center-pins, or Mitchell 300/400 reels and optonics.... what next...??? milk bottle tops... a penny placed on the spool with a hubcap below it...? Gotta say since I went traditional I have caught more... dunno why, can't put a finger on it... perhaps it's because you wouldn't expect to catch using such antiquated gear, but that said, subconsciously the pressure is off... if you are not expecting to catch, then you put less pressure on yourself... and the results come...

Lets get one thing clear... I still use carbon gear occasionally and I am not advocating that everyone uses cane and pins to up their catch rate....  what I am saying is that we anglers can be our own worst enemies when it comes to hunting down that biggun.... 

Once I started in on the traditional side of carping, I used my watercraft skills to stalk carp out of margins, more often than not just using one rod to lay traps and picking up the odd good fish and relying less and less on bite alarms and chucking to the horizon, leading about, marker float trips, swim mapping and the like... even down to using just a hook with a bait, nothing else, no line clips, no leads, or fancy rigs... as soon as I started to fish purely for the enjoyment of the day, the pressure on myself was off and my catch rate went up.... nowadays I think too many anglers are putting pressure on themselves to pick up that magical fish... too much time spent planning and not enough time just grabbing a rod, reel, bag, net and chair and fishing purely for the fun of it... and the proof of the pudding has to be the smile when you do get a chunk....  All too often I see pictures in the angling press of some bod with his sponsor's tee shirt and hat and a serious whacker in his arms and a face like a bulldog licking pee of a nettle... they are probably thinking" where's the next big hit coming from"

What I will say is, take the time to enjoy the journey... even smell the flowers along the way and when you get that lump.... for god's sake.... smile...😁

 

Tight lines all 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, bluelabel said:

nowadays I think too many anglers are putting pressure on themselves to pick up that magical fish

I'm not sure about that mate.

Anglers angle for enjoyment. Some guys enjoy a relaxed approach, some guys enjoy a more focused approach. I am one of those anglers that struggles to relax on the bank, always looking for an opportunity, up trees, on the move, staying up late, getting up early. I'm absolutely knackered after a fishing session.

But it's not pressure that sees me angle like that. It's just what I enjoy. I'd get bored just sitting next to the rods for hours. I am always looking to make something happen (and normally it works).

19 minutes ago, bluelabel said:

All too often I see pictures in the angling press of some bod with his sponsor's tee shirt and hat and a serious whacker in his arms and a face like a bulldog licking pee of a nettle... they are probably thinking" where's the next big hit coming from"

I always chuckle when I see those miserable shots. But make no mistake those guys are absolutely buzzing regardless of what they might look like. They are thinking only of getting the shots they need then returning the fish they spent a long time chasing back in the water safely.

22 minutes ago, bluelabel said:

Once I started in on the traditional side of carping, I used my watercraft skills to stalk carp out of margins, more often than not just using one rod to lay traps and picking up the odd good fish and relying less and less on bite alarms and chucking to the horizon, leading about, marker float trips, swim mapping and the like... even down to using just a hook with a bait, nothing else, no line clips, no leads, or fancy rigs

It's good that we have these choices, but it has to be said; the most effective angler is the one that knows when to do all of the above.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think that sometimes the pressure is subconcious and you are not really aware of it... I have seen marriages fail due to the desire to be out on the bank and I've seen some real tantrums on the bank over lost fish... sometimes you just have to take a step back and try to be philosophical about it... the turning point for me came after losing my parents... I vowed that my sport was going to be enjoyed no matter what... and once the pressure to compete (match fishing) went, along with the desire to take a step back from work....  I began to take stock out of what I really wanted out of my sport now the match fishing has gone by the by, the serious side of carping has evaporated for me and I go carping about once in every 5 sessions... maybe it's an age thing but sometimes you just gotta slow down and watch the world rush by... still nice to get a lump now and then though👍😎 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, bluelabel said:

I have seen marriages fail due to the desire to be out on the bank and I've seen some real tantrums on the bank over lost fish

Family comes first, always. I take pride in my life balance.

But if I lose a target fish you will see me upset. VERY upset😂

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've always been my own worst enemy tbh, I tend to get obsessed with things way too often, I struggle to juggle everything and don't always get the balance right, that being said I dont think I am being unreasonable wanting to have a hobby, without something else to focus on my depression would be much worse I think, I've felt like just going to work and everything else day in day out becomes a real grind,I love my family and feel lucky but sometimes It all gets tough to deal with, 

My family does always come first but you have to remember sometimes you need to put yourself first, I sometimes need a break to get my head back together and fishing allows me to detune and refresh, I tend to not go out boozing or socialising much these days so I love to stare at water it's therapeutic for me, 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

therein lies the appeal of angling for me... it's a time for introspection, compartmentalising ones thoughts... I think that for me, the actual act of fishing has become secondary to the day out... once you settle into the day you take in other things... bird life, fish movements, trees, flora and fauna... with so much to surround yourself with, it's easy to sink into into the environment... I think that once you settle in, you tend to fish on auto-pilot where casting, & rebaiting and all the other mechanical movements become almost automatic whilst your mind is on the water...

Take it easy Elmo👍😎

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, bluelabel said:

therein lies the appeal of angling for me... it's a time for introspection, compartmentalising ones thoughts... I think that for me, the actual act of fishing has become secondary to the day out... once you settle into the day you take in other things... bird life, fish movements, trees, flora and fauna... with so much to surround yourself with, it's easy to sink into into the environment... I think that once you settle in, you tend to fish on auto-pilot where casting, & rebaiting and all the other mechanical movements become almost automatic whilst your mind is on the water...

Take it easy Elmo👍😎

Totally agree i love having time to think and drift off on a tangent, people always seem to think you need to be with others to be happy and the old dont you get bored or lonely while your fishing on your own? and I think nah its when I am most at peace sitting with my thoughts, 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, bluelabel said:

I suppose everyone has their own way of dealing with a lost fish... I have "The Short Informal Walkabout" and woe betide anyone who interrupts it... strangling fenceposts has a lot going for it too

Ican vouch for this...LAST WEEK...i sat in my bivvy for a good 20mins looking over my rig and was very quiet sulking.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, elmoputney said:

I've always been my own worst enemy tbh, I tend to get obsessed with things way too often, I struggle to juggle everything and don't always get the balance right, that being said I dont think I am being unreasonable wanting to have a hobby, without something else to focus on my depression would be much worse I think, I've felt like just going to work and everything else day in day out becomes a real grind,I love my family and feel lucky but sometimes It all gets tough to deal with, 

My family does always come first but you have to remember sometimes you need to put yourself first, I sometimes need a break to get my head back together and fishing allows me to detune and refresh, I tend to not go out boozing or socialising much these days so I love to stare at water it's therapeutic for me, 

 

I could of wrote that myself.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I luv going with my mate,he’s in his mid 60,s and I like to spoil and fuss him we’ve worked and fished together for 25years and I treat him more like my dad than a mate but i also luv going on my own,just me and the surroundings. I ALWAYS 100% fish better alone,no distractions I suppose,and while a bit of guilt creeps in if I’ve been doing long hrs at work for any length of time and I’ve not spent a lot of time with the fambo I gotta get my fishing fix......... it’s the most powerful drug I’ve ever had. As Yonny says it’s impossible to explain to others who ain’t like minded 🎣🎣🎣

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, yonny said:

I'm not sure about that mate.

Anglers angle for enjoyment. Some guys enjoy a relaxed approach, some guys enjoy a more focused approach. I am one of those anglers that struggles to relax on the bank, always looking for an opportunity, up trees, on the move, staying up late, getting up early. I'm absolutely knackered after a fishing session.

But it's not pressure that sees me angle like that. It's just what I enjoy. I'd get bored just sitting next to the rods for hours. I am always looking to make something happen (and normally it works).

I always chuckle when I see those miserable shots. But make no mistake those guys are absolutely buzzing regardless of what they might look like. They are thinking only of getting the shots they need then returning the fish they spent a long time chasing back in the water safely.

It's good that we have these choices, but it has to be said; the most effective angler is the one that knows when to do all of the above.

Not sure about the 'bulldog licking pee off a nettle' shots, 😖😆, they always strike me as doing it only for the numbers for their latest sponsor. If you are only chasing numbers, then I think you are in the wrong pursuit. I've been there, done it, as many 20's in a season, have to beat my largest fish etc, and realised that there was/is more to it than that.

 

I go fishing to relax, enjoy my time off work or the pressures of life.

Sometimes my fishing trip is almost all sleep for two and a half days, other times it is work hard looking, baiting and chasing.

 

Some of my trips are with a Mate, but most of all I enjoy time on my own with my dog. I enjoy the being away from everyone.

 

I struggle to deal with crowded waters. I prefer to be out in the boonies, away from everyone. That really does affect my choice of waters. I can't deal with local club waters, which are crowded almost every weekend, even if I do fish from Sunday to Tuesday or Wednesday.

I like being able to hide out on a big open water, as much as I enjoy catching big fish. Beating my largest is no longer the priority it once was.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I saw the light after I lost my parents.... time to slow down and enjoy what's around you, whether it be the bankside, wildlife, just being out in the fresh air, or your loved ones.... life's too short to worry about how big the next fish is going to be... just enjoy your sport for what it is 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

17 minutes ago, salokcinnodrog said:

Not sure about the 'bulldog licking pee off a nettle' shots, 😖😆, they always strike me as doing it only for the numbers for their latest sponsor.

You have targeted/caught big fish from tricky waters Nick so you know all about the dedication required. That comment surprises me from you.

I always smile in my trophy shots. Some don't. I do not believe that should open them up to questions about their source of motivation. Those who have been there and done it should know full well that numbers and sponsors are simply not enough to put yourself through what it can take to catch some of these fish. End of the day if you don't ABSOLUTELY LOVE the thrill of the chase, the highs and lows, the hardships and the successes..... you simply will not succeed in targeting big fish (unless you choose to fish and instant big fish water full of fake bigguns - which will no longer get you a sponsor in this day and age).

Imo the suggestion that numbers and sponsors are on the mind of a guy that has just caught a fish he's spent weeks/months/years working for is quite ludicrous and for me shows a massive underestimation of the dedication these guys posses. Those that have not been there and done it should have a go before passing judgement on those that do. Targeting big fish is tricky, it can be rock hard in fact, and most simply don't enjoy angling enough to hack it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, snowmanstevo said:

I ALWAYS 100% fish better alone

Me too, without a doubt mate.

It's not possible to really tune into a water when fishing with mates imo.

I love a good social but my 'proper' fishing is done on my own. I'm miles more effective as an angler when it's just me giving my all.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, yonny said:

You have targeted/caught big fish from tricky waters Nick so you know all about the dedication required. That comment surprises me from you.

I suppose so, but even though I may be a field tester or sponsored angler, I still fish for me, not for my bait or tackle deal.  The bait or tackle deal comes from being able to do what I do, so I carry on doing it.

I don't 'have to' keep my name or pictures on the social media, and every fish is worth a smile.😉

It is the lack of smile that annoys me; be happy, show your emotion, get a record of it, because life comes and goes. Sometimes being able to see what happiness you had can save your life, makes you realise everything is worthwhile.

Being a grumpy guts in pictures, why?

 

The dedication to chase, pioneer on waters or catch a particular fish is hard, and when it comes to a particular fish I fail miserably. I prefer to be on bigger waters putting my time in alone or with a close mate who thinks like I do, who has the same motivation, where we can communicate our spotting of fish, share success or failure, but my fishing time I do really prefer alone, so for me it is the (genuine) new water, or pioneering where I do best.

 

I think that although it was run by the owner as a syndicate previously, my catches on Earith Virginia Water were used to publish and show what was in there by Ian Jones. I was in the right place at the right time, with a good syndicate owner who happened to be writing Cambs Uncovered for Carp Talk. Not just his water, but a lot of the results from waters in the area were in that column, but my name regularly made it in there.

That is what got me my bait deal, but continuing to catch from Ardleigh when it was still new, and then straight onto Nazeing with some big fish helps.

 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, salokcinnodrog said:

It is the lack of smile that annoys me; be happy, show your emotion, get a record of it, because life comes and goes. Sometimes being able to see what happiness you had can save your life, makes you realise everything is worthwhile.

Being a grumpy guts in pictures, why?

I think it's because the photo is a record of the fish, not the angler. Which I totally get.

But I agree, doesn't hurt to smile.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I remember to smile sometimes! 

I don't really put pressure on myself, angling is my escape. I just love being there. If I lose a big fish or blank or have a bad session, I can usually shrug it off and not think about it again. 

I once fished wraysbury 1 for a whole season every weekend, I had one take after a whole summer and into the colder months (from a carp as opposed to tench) and lost it about 3yards from the net... 

Bizarrely, I burst out laughing! (I still find it amusing even now... Work that one out, because I cant!!) 

FullSizeRender.jpg

image15.JPG

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, ouchthathurt said:

I remember to smile sometimes! 

When you have a real biggun or special one the look one your face in the pics is the last thing on your mind tbh. I try to smile but sometimes it comes out as a grimace 😂

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Does anyone else think social media may be adding pressure to there angling in some way ?

As we all know I haven't caught a proper carp(I don't count park lake)  this year and I keep seeing all these people with carp and having red letter days and proper chunks and seeing everyone else's great results etc and never the struggles they go through 

I think in some ways it makes me feel like I must be always doing something wrong or doubting my ability even though deep down I don't think I am doing loads wrong and I am learning every trip but I can't help thinking as much as you can learn on social media does it all knock your confidence as well if you aren't getting the results everyone else is ?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, elmoputney said:

Does anyone else think social media may be adding pressure to there angling in some way ?

As we all know I haven't caught a proper carp(I don't count park lake)  this year and I keep seeing all these people with carp and having red letter days and proper chunks and seeing everyone else's great results etc and never the struggles they go through 

I think in some ways it makes me feel like I must be always doing something wrong or doubting my ability even though deep down I don't think I am doing loads wrong and I am learning every trip but I can't help thinking as much as you can learn on social media does it all knock your confidence as well if you aren't getting the results everyone else is ?

 

I know what you mean...im not on any social media but look now and then on some websites with links to there own media page.

Theres been many a time ive been on the bank with mates and all fishing the same and they have 5 or 6 fish and im blanking...MANY times this happened.

I went from September 2018 to May 2019 without a fish...really thinking is it me.

But now ive tweaked a few things...happy with myself and gear...

So now when I'm out...im glad to be out and if i catch...ITS A BONUS.

If a mate catches 5 or 6 fish and i blank...its good angling to him (or he was on the fish) if i blank..i blank.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, elmoputney said:

I don't think I am doing loads wrong and I am learning every trip but I can't help thinking as much as you can learn on social media does it all knock your confidence as well if you aren't getting the results everyone else is ?

They dont show you the blanks on social media. Dont go thinking the top boys dont blank because they do. Fish for yourself buddy. It's not a competition. Focus on your own fishing and enjoy it. Your time will come🐋

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...