Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
bluelabel

English players getting a start in the premier league

I heard a bit of news on Saturday concerning the amount of English players in the premiership.... apparently there were 44 English players on the pitch out of the whole of the premier league... 4 teams worth out of 20

How is England supposed to pick a world class team out of a pool so small... do you guys not feel that it's time to limit the number of foreign players a team may field per match, as they do in cricket, to promote a strong England squad...???

Being a Leicester fan I love seeing the academy players coming through into the first team, regardless of nationality, so I don't think English players should get a priority over anyone else - you're either the best option at the time or you're not.

It seems like one of the main problems has historically been club loyalties preventing us from getting anywhere near full potential, not a lack of talented players coming through?

TBH we've been so disappointing for so long the over hyping by the media is embarrassing!

Maybe the bigger the club, the more imported players over coached youth?

there is rules on having a certain number of homegrown players in the squad that prem club have to have.

Each squad contains no more than 17 players who do not fulfil the "Home Grown Player" (HGP) criteria.

The rest of the squad, up to a total of 25 players, must be "Home Grown".

A "Home-Grown Player" means a player who, irrespective of nationality or age, has been registered with any club affiliated to The Football Association or the Football Association of Wales for a period, continuous or not, of three entire seasons, or 36 months, before his 21st birthday (or the end of the season during which he turns 21).

Doesn't mean they are English BUT a majority will be, especially from the smaller clubs. Also Under 21s dont have to registered to the squad but are still eligible to play. 

Almost every other league in the world has a foreign player rule, apart from the likes of Holland and Belgium, but they have cashed in on not requiring work permits so get all the loan players and players that fail work permits in other countries, both I believe have 3yr periods for citizenship. No reason to not put one for the Prem, apart from I would say the lack of talent. You couldnt have a maximum of 3 foreign players per starting XI and fill the 20 teams with enough talent to continue the quality of football on display currently. 

11 hours ago, kevtaylor said:

Maybe the bigger the club, the more imported players over coached youth?

this definitely happens but I think you have to look more closely at the players too. There is potential but they dont reach it. look at the likes of Jack Rodwell, Ravel Morrison, Ross Barkley, Jesse Lindgard, Walcott. Potential to be great but never made it whilst being at big clubs with incredible coaches and facilities. 

If the player is good enough they will start, simple as that. Every club wants the best squad possible and if the talent pool of English players isn't there then they have to buy abroad. The inflated prices for English players doesnt help either. Paying over and above for the sole reason the player is English happens all the time considering you can go and get an equally as talented player for 25% less abroad.