Jump to content
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Recommended Posts

New to Carp.com and new to carp fishing. Just recently moved to Leighton Buzzard from leicester. Never really carp fished before, most of my fishing was canals and rivers just general course fishing as my dad was a match angler back in the day. 

I havent fished for a long time, about 10 years ago now with the old mans old fishing kit. I still need to buy the right gear as have nothing at the moment and thought this would be the best place to get some good info on what to buy and where to start fishing close to me. Looking forward to learning and improving with help from the site.

Tedbed

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
58 minutes ago, chillfactor said:

Welcome to the forum Teddy 😎

 

54 minutes ago, finchey said:

Hi and welcome to the forum Teddy. 👍 

Thank you. Now I just need to know where to start 😅

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Teddy09 said:

 

Thank you. Now I just need to know where to start 😅

Hello Teddy

What type of waters are you thinking of fishing , Teddy ? .

For instance Nick is fishing a 375 acre reservoir so he needs to be able to cast distances .

Do you want to be mobile like Dannygooner , or do you fancy fishing for 24hours , or longer , bivvied up , relaxing , socialising .

😀

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, crusian said:

Hello Teddy

What type of waters are you thinking of fishing , Teddy ? .

For instance Nick is fishing a 375 acre reservoir so he needs to be able to cast distances .

Do you want to be mobile like Dannygooner , or do you fancy fishing for 24hours , or longer , bivvied up , relaxing , socialising .

😀

Nothing that size just yet, think the intimidation factor would kick big time 😂.

I will eventually want to do a 24hr+, but think I need bring my carp fishing skills up to a good level first. 

I dont fancy going on run water for the sole face I want to improve and I personally dont see how that is possible if not matter what you do you can catch.

I've have been offered a few bits of kit which include a 1x esp sniper 2 3 1/4 and a centium 3lb both 12ft along with 2x daiwa crosscast 5500qd for £140. Not sure about the centium rod though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi Teddy

 the gear you have been offered isn't terrible, but if you are just starting out I'd personally steer clear of "quick drag" reels.
They take a bit of getting used to, and in the early stages I personally think you would be better served with a couple of "baitrunner" reels. Much easier to get on with.
Also, I'd try to get two matching rods if possible. The two you mention are going to have completely different fish playing and casting characteristics to each other.

I'd stick with 2.75lbs, these are going to be able to cast reasonably well, and will land any fish you are likely to encounter in any water you visit. A good starter rod is a Daiwa Black Widow G50. These can be picked up for around £35.00 a piece if you shop around, and I personally think you would get more pleasure out of fishing with these than the two you mention.
https://www.total-fishing-tackle.com/daiwa-black-widow-g50-carp-rod

With regards reels, the two main brands are Shimano, and Daiwa. Between them I reckon they have about 70% of the market sewn up, and it really is personal choice which ones you prefer. Another make worth looking at as they are normally well screwed together and perform well are Okuma. A bit cheaper than either Daiwa or Shimano, but will last you donkeys years if looked after. I have used all three makes, I personally prefer Daiwa, but as I say, it's all down to choice and I certainly wouldn't knock either of the other two makes.

Daiwa offer a Black Widow reel to match up with their Black Widow rods, and again they are the perfect choice for a starter set. Reasonably priced, they would be a better bet than the Crosscast 5500 quick drags as they are a baitrunner (or bite 'n run as Daiwa call it).

Two of these in 4500 sized at £38.99 each and you'd be away.

https://www.fishtec.co.uk/buy.cfm/carp-and-specialist-reels/daiwa-black-widow-br-reels/40/yes/95887?Affiliate=4,397&gclid=CjwKCAjw1_PqBRBIEiwA71rmtcXvaR5vy4ztL3jQuUaiNDkMQZ14EKgp1f7iaorJ1rW7Y85JJ2OIbBoC_boQAvD_BwE

 

So there you have it. Just my opinion, and for a total price of 157.96 you are going to have two matching rods and reels that you could happily fish anywhere with. And when you do upgrade (because you will believe me) you'd get more money for these selling on than the mismatch you've been offered.

😉

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, smufter said:

Hi Teddy

 the gear you have been offered isn't terrible, but if you are just starting out I'd personally steer clear of "quick drag" reels.
They take a bit of getting used to, and in the early stages I personally think you would be better served with a couple of "baitrunner" reels. Much easier to get on with.
Also, I'd try to get two matching rods if possible. The two you mention are going to have completely different fish playing and casting characteristics to each other.

I'd stick with 2.75lbs, these are going to be able to cast reasonably well, and will land any fish you are likely to encounter in any water you visit. A good starter rod is a Daiwa Black Widow G50. These can be picked up for around £35.00 a piece if you shop around, and I personally think you would get more pleasure out of fishing with these than the two you mention.
https://www.total-fishing-tackle.com/daiwa-black-widow-g50-carp-rod

With regards reels, the two main brands are Shimano, and Daiwa. Between them I reckon they have about 70% of the market sewn up, and it really is personal choice which ones you prefer. Another make worth looking at as they are normally well screwed together and perform well are Okuma. A bit cheaper than either Daiwa or Shimano, but will last you donkeys years if looked after. I have used all three makes, I personally prefer Daiwa, but as I say, it's all down to choice and I certainly wouldn't knock either of the other two makes.

Daiwa offer a Black Widow reel to match up with their Black Widow rods, and again they are the perfect choice for a starter set. Reasonably priced, they would be a better bet than the Crosscast 5500 quick drags as they are a baitrunner (or bite 'n run as Daiwa call it).

Two of these in 4500 sized at £38.99 each and you'd be away.

https://www.fishtec.co.uk/buy.cfm/carp-and-specialist-reels/daiwa-black-widow-br-reels/40/yes/95887?Affiliate=4,397&gclid=CjwKCAjw1_PqBRBIEiwA71rmtcXvaR5vy4ztL3jQuUaiNDkMQZ14EKgp1f7iaorJ1rW7Y85JJ2OIbBoC_boQAvD_BwE

 

So there you have it. Just my opinion, and for a total price of 157.96 you are going to have two matching rods and reels that you could happily fish anywhere with. And when you do upgrade (because you will believe me) you'd get more money for these selling on than the mismatch you've been offered.

😉

Hi Smufter

I've used a baitrunner years ago to fish to a weir in place called Abbey park it was where the river Soar and Grand union met in the centre of Leicester. It used to hold some good carp back in the day. If memory serves me right it's an old Shimano with a red lever at the back. I still have it somewhere amongst my dads old kit. 

All I've done the last few days is look at carp tackle and I was shocked at some of the prices, gone are the days you could walking into a tackle shop and buy what you needed for under 50 quid 😂, even then my dad told my mum everything was half price 😂.  

Thank you for the recommendations, I'll take them onboard when I put my hand in my pocket 👍🏽.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Teddy09 said:

Hi Smufter

I've used a baitrunner years ago to fish to a weir in place called Abbey park it was where the river Soar and Grand union met in the centre of Leicester. It used to hold some good carp back in the day. If memory serves me right it's an old Shimano with a red lever at the back. I still have it somewhere amongst my dads old kit. 

All I've done the last few days is look at carp tackle and I was shocked at some of the prices, gone are the days you could walking into a tackle shop and buy what you needed for under 50 quid 😂, even then my dad told my mum everything was half price 😂.  

Thank you for the recommendations, I'll take them onboard when I put my hand in my pocket 👍🏽.

You're welcome Teddy. And can I just say it's nice to have a new member on here with good manners!

👍

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I wouldn't put you off sonik vader rods I think they are great for the money 

7 hours ago, Teddy09 said:

 😂

I dont fancy going on run water for the sole face I want to improve and I personally dont see how that is possible if not matter what you do you can catch.

 

I don't think a few sessions of catching fish at a runs water is a bad thing for a beginner tbh, it teaches you how to deal with fish and play them, land them, and look after them, you can always use it to fine tune rigs and presentations until you are catching more than anyone else, a carp is a carp no matter where its caught from and these places are still good for learning watercraft skills, making observations and improving your skill set with a confidence boost of you may get to catch a few, I used to fish a small farm pond when I was younger, I still use a lot of the knowledge I gained from it today, don't be in a rush to go big fish hunting its not as easy as the countless social media posts have you believe 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, elmoputney said:

I wouldn't put you off sonik vader rods I think they are great for the money 

I don't think a few sessions of catching fish at a runs water is a bad thing for a beginner tbh, it teaches you how to deal with fish and play them, land them, and look after them, you can always use it to fine tune rigs and presentations until you are catching more than anyone else, a carp is a carp no matter where its caught from and these places are still good for learning watercraft skills, making observations and improving your skill set with a confidence boost of you may get to catch a few, I used to fish a small farm pond when I was younger, I still use a lot of the knowledge I gained from it today, don't be in a rush to go big fish hunting its not as easy as the countless social media posts have you believe 

I did have a look at the Sonik Vader X rod and reel combos online and they dont look too bad for the prize when you shop around. 

Dont get me wrong I dont think they are a bad place for people to learn, just not for me. I learn best from putting myself under pressure, as it makes me thing and try and solve puzzles to get the result I want. I believe there comes a point where you may lose the drive to improve and or become lazy in how you do things when it becomes easy to get an end goal.

Thank you Elmoputney, I'm here to learn and different opinions help with that massively 👍🏽

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Teddy09 said:

I did have a look at the Sonik Vader X rod and reel combos online and they dont look too bad for the prize when you shop around. 

Dont get me wrong I dont think they are a bad place for people to learn, just not for me. I learn best from putting myself under pressure, as it makes me thing and try and solve puzzles to get the result I want. I believe there comes a point where you may lose the drive to improve and or become lazy in how you do things when it becomes easy to get an end goal.

Thank you Elmoputney, I'm here to learn and different opinions help with that massively 👍🏽

I am not suggesting you base your whole fishing around them but personally I've grown to love the runs water I fish, I get to catch test rigs and sharpen my senses and ENJOY catching some carp, I usually fish on a real headbanger of a lake and seem to only catch specimen bream at present without the occasional knock on the runs water I think I may have left with tail between my legs by now, I am now sure my rigs are working and it gives me the confidence for the challenges I face, 

I agree with you on testing yourself though and giving yourself a Challenge but I've spent lots of years previously angling,I've struggled on lakes in the past and turned it around but, I've only just started again after a break this year and without the confidence I've gained from the runs water, I would be really doubting myself and my ability, think of it this way you can pop in for a few hours get good at casting to spots, learn how your tackle acts with a carp on the end and basically trying to get your rod to feel like an extension of your arm, and working out things you may not have even considered,

I like the sonik rods for my fishing I use diawa reels though, I have a sonik vader spod reel it's OK, I have a feeling it won't last too long though so wouldn't recommend the reels personally I do like a diawa reel so would happily recommend those 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...