Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Dannygooner

How to avoid the carp and get through to the perch 🤔?

So I’ve been guesting an estate lake. Its teeming with carp and I just can’t get through these hungry things to get to the perch. Prawns, lob worm and even small sections deadbait ( mackerel and sprats) the carp have been taking. Run after run of small to mid double angry carp that would seemingly eat anything. I just can’t bring myself to use livebaits and the swims are too tight and overgrown to get casting a spinner. I know the perch go to 3.5lbs. I’ve managed two, both around a 1lb but that was after hauling in a dozen or so carp on light tackle. Any suggestions would be most welcome! Cheers 

Don't fish on the bottom!

Hungry water carp will eat almost everything, there is simply not enough food for them, so they will beat almost everything else to the bait.

While spinners are difficult, are you able to use small lures, drop shotting?

The alternative is wait until winter.

Don't prebait, quite literally almost stalk a swim, flick your bait out, maggot or worm, a few red maggies over the top, catch or not, then move on, working your way around any structural areas, snags, reeds, weeds etc. Perch do love cover!

Big perch are often first to take a bait if they are not disturbed, catching carp can disturb them, so you have to work for them the hard way as you have discovered.