Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Dannygooner

Strange and weird events whilst fishing

I don’t have one of these. No ghostly tales whilst night fishing. No ufo sightings whilst on the bank. But I have read a most interesting thread on another site that discusses such matters. Just wondered if anyone else on here had such tales of bizarre events whilst fishing..........?????????

I've been freaked out by badgers and deer a few times but nothing truly spooky.

I did once have a bicycle go past behind my bivvy at 3 am on a water that's in the middle of nowhere; no access, locked gates, no houses or dwellings for miles. The bike had no lights on and was heading for the far end of the lake where there was no exit. It didn't come back past the other way so god know what they were doing or how they got out of the area. Defo a bit odd.

1 minute ago, yonny said:

I've been freaked out by badgers and deer a few times but nothing truly spooky.

I did once have a bicycle go past behind my bivvy at 3 am on a water that's in the middle of nowhere; no access, locked gates, no houses or dwellings for miles. The bike had no lights on and was heading for the far end of the lake where there was no exit. It didn't come back past the other way so god know what they were doing or how they got out of the area. Defo a bit odd.

Yeah that pushbike random man would of put me on edge. Lol. I only posted this as I was shocked to see dozens of similar and quite unnerving stories on another fishing forum. Some from quite famous waters too. I’m unsure if I believe in such things, but it’s interesting nonetheless. Sitting in that bivvy on your own late at night can be an experience. It certainly leaves the mind susceptible to being scared 

Many, (many!!) years ago, a friend and I were night fishing a local lake.
During the early hours of the morning, (must have been about 1am), I spotted a light in the sky, moving right to left. It seemed strange as I didn't notice any flashing lights like you would get with a 'plane. The light then stopped, and was stationary. It was deathly quiet, no noise at all. I expected the light to get closer, thinking that if it was a 'plane it had turned towards us (hence why it appeared stationary), but it got no closer. 
It hung there for about 30 seconds or so, and then just shot straight up and disappeared.....😲
To this day, I have no idea what it was. It wasn't a plane, and it wasn't a helicopter (as I say, there was no noise and no helicopter exists that would have risen so quickly).
Whenever anyone talks about "strange" things happening, I always remember this.

Edited by smufter

3 hours ago, smufter said:

Many, (many!!) years ago, a friend and I were night fishing a local lake.
During the early hours of the morning, (must have been about 1am), I spotted a light in the sky, moving right to left. It seemed strange as I didn't notice any flashing lights like you would get with a 'plane. The light then stopped, and was stationary. It was deathly quiet, no noise at all. I expected the light to get closer, thinking that if it was a 'plane it had turned towards us (hence why it appeared stationary), but it got no closer. 
It hung there for about 30 seconds or so, and then just shot straight up and disappeared.....😲
To this day, I have no idea what it was. It wasn't a plane, and it wasn't a helicopter (as I say, there was no noise and no helicopter exists that would have risen so quickly).
Whenever anyone talks about "strange" things happening, I always remember this.

There’s a few similar tales to this on the other forum. I myself have witnessed lights in the sky moving in a non conventional manner twice, though not whilst fishing. The thing I love most about night fishing in secluded spots is the skywatching. Can’t beat it. Wonder what it was you saw 🤔

I was fishing a day only club lake, last one out at about 10.30pm - completely dark.  Got to the gate and there was a load of rustling in the bushes next to me (probably pheasants in hindsight), I freaked out big style, put the gate code in and pulled the door and nothing, so I scrambled up and over the gate - got stuck on the barbed wire on the top, lowered my kit down and got down safe on the other side.

After calming down I tried the gate from the other side, only to find that I needed to push not pull - what a noddy! :lol:

Stupid not strange though

Edited by kevtaylor

Couple of months back i was on stockton res which is in a rural part of warwick i could see the milky way stars thingy and at about 1am i was out sorting a fish and happened to look up as the stars were amazing and directly ahead and coming towards me was something moving real fast a way too high up to be a plane it was really shifting i had a funny feeling it was the International Space Station stood gazing until it passed over, reeled the rod in and sorted it then put it back out, half hour later they were saying on the radio that the ISS could be seen in the sky  as it was that clear a night out, amazing sight it really does move fast. 

10 minutes ago, Carpbell_ll said:

Couple of months back i was on stockton res which is in a rural part of warwick i could see the milky way stars thingy and at about 1am i was out sorting a fish and happened to look up as the stars were amazing and directly ahead and coming towards me was something moving real fast a way too high up to be a plane it was really shifting i had a funny feeling it was the International Space Station stood gazing until it passed over, reeled the rod in and sorted it then put it back out, half hour later they were saying on the radio that the ISS could be seen in the sky  as it was that clear a night out, amazing sight it really does move fast. 

I use satellite and air traffic tracker apps on my phone. Tells you what they are when you point up at them. Even where the planes are going etc

41 minutes ago, Dannygooner said:

I use satellite and air traffic tracker apps on my phone. Tells you what they are when you point up at them. Even where the planes are going etc

my mate has a star app where it shows you the constellations, planets, etc. pretty interesting if you are in to that sort of thing.

17 hours ago, Dannygooner said:

There’s a few similar tales to this on the other forum. I myself have witnessed lights in the sky moving in a non conventional manner twice, though not whilst fishing. The thing I love most about night fishing in secluded spots is the skywatching. Can’t beat it. Wonder what it was you saw 🤔

To this day Danny, I have no idea. As I say, this was a long, long time ago. I was a teenager, so must have been late 60's early 70's. The thing that struck me most about it was the lack of any noise. We were miles from anywhere, it was deathly quiet, no ambient noise at all. I am certain that if it had been a 'plane or a helicopter we would have heard something. Other people have suggested a weather balloon. Not a chance, it was moving too fast. I've seen "shooting stars" and it wasn't one of those either. A shooting star doesn't go right to left, then stop moving and finally go straight up. One of life's mysteries.....

plenty of so called Ghostly goings on at Redmire... apparently there's a book out about it at the mo....

I once heard a low moaning noise on the North Met pit in the 70's, me being a bit more fearless in them days went to investigate and found the source... it was a bloke giving his lass a seeing to in the shrubbery... proper moaner she was too... I went back chuckling to meself...

On another occasion I was fishing Churchwood fishery in Brentwood and felt a hot breath on my face... woke up to Steve's (the owner) Rottweiler looking at me from three inches away....

Love dragging my bedchair out on a hot night and watching the sky... folks tucked up in bed dunno what they're missing, Bolides, Leonids, Meteors, Perseids, ISS, other satellites, Bats Owls, Deer, Badgers... part of the reason I fish...

5 hours ago, bluelabel said:

plenty of so called Ghostly goings on at Redmire... apparently there's a book out about it at the mo....

I once heard a low moaning noise on the North Met pit in the 70's, me being a bit more fearless in them days went to investigate and found the source... it was a bloke giving his lass a seeing to in the shrubbery... proper moaner she was too... I went back chuckling to meself...

On another occasion I was fishing Churchwood fishery in Brentwood and felt a hot breath on my face... woke up to Steve's (the owner) Rottweiler looking at me from three inches away....

Love dragging my bedchair out on a hot night and watching the sky... folks tucked up in bed dunno what they're missing, Bolides, Leonids, Meteors, Perseids, ISS, other satellites, Bats Owls, Deer, Badgers... part of the reason I fish...

This post did make me chuckle. Fancy giving ya Mrs a good knee trembler next to someone fishing 😂. On the other forum I mentioned there are many tales from redmire. First hand accounts. And yes there is nothing quite like sleeping under the stars. People spend so much time with their heads in phones and watching tv. Take tonight for instance. What an amazing full moon. Most will be too busy to notice 

35 minutes ago, Dannygooner said:

This post did make me chuckle. Fancy giving ya Mrs a good knee trembler next to someone fishing 😂. On the other forum I mentioned there are many tales from redmire. First hand accounts. And yes there is nothing quite like sleeping under the stars. People spend so much time with their heads in phones and watching tv. Take tonight for instance. What an amazing full moon. Most will be too busy to notice 

I'll be out tomorrow night.

No bivvy.

Just the bedchair and the moon and stars.

1 hour ago, muftyboy said:

No bivvy.

Their will be a lot of Dew over your bag if you dont take some form of cover in the morning.

6 hours ago, muftyboy said:

No bivvy.

June/July/August maybe.

September? No thanks!

As Dayvid mentions above, lots of moisture in the air now that Autumn is upon us. You'll be dripping in the morning without a cover over your bag......😲😲😲

12 hours ago, smufter said:

June/July/August maybe.

September? No thanks!

As Dayvid mentions above, lots of moisture in the air now that Autumn is upon us. You'll be dripping in the morning without a cover over your bag......😲😲😲

Are you saying that Mufty is going to be a big drip ? .

Congratulations on getting permission to fish your secret lake , Mufty , and you stopped some poachers ( as in eating what they caught ) .

😃