Jump to content
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Recommended Posts

Can anyone recommend barbless hooks that stay in well?

I'm starting on a very weedy lake with a barbless rule.

Lost a fish in heavy weed on sunday morning 1st overnighter and I feel like I need a pretty special hook for this situation, the stakes are high and I may well need to slackened off to get the fish moving again, so I want a beak point or better if such a hook exists.

I'm going down the bottom bait route, so a curve shank or wide gape style hook that I can fish blowback with a ring or silicon.  Sized 4

Any recommendations welcome - thanks 👍

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, kevtaylor said:

Can anyone recommend barbless hooks that stay in well?

I'm starting on a very weedy lake with a barbless rule.

Lost a fish in heavy weed on sunday morning 1st overnighter and I feel like I need a pretty special hook for this situation, the stakes are high and I may well need to slackened off to get the fish moving again, so I want a beak point or better if such a hook exists.

I'm going down the bottom bait route, so a curve shank or wide gape style hook that I can fish blowback with a ring or silicon.  Sized 4

Any recommendations welcome - thanks 👍

 

What about the Pallatrax Grips ?

https://www.pallatrax.co.uk/our-products/gripz-hooks/

I remember someone on here, but no review/reply i dont think ??

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I used them in France and they are great. The only reason I don't continue using them over here is that "my" syndicate is micro barbed only, they don't allow barbless. I had no problems with them at all.

I tried the wide gape version initially but preferred the straight points if I'm honest. They are a good size too.... not too big. The size 4's are perfect. They are very sharp too, straight out of the pkt. And they stayed sharp...

https://www.pallatrax.co.uk/product/gripz-straight-point-hooks/

Edited by smufter

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, smufter said:

I used them in France and they are great. The only reason I don't continue using them over here is that "my" syndicate is micro barbed only, they don't allow barbless. I had no problems with them at all.

I tried the wide gape version initially but preferred the straight points if I'm honest. They are a good size too.... not too big. The size 4's are perfect. They are very sharp too, straight out of the pkt. And they stayed sharp...

https://www.pallatrax.co.uk/product/gripz-straight-point-hooks/

Thanks smufter that's brilliant - looks like I'll be giving them a go.  I'd probably choose the beaked point over straight - any thoughts on that?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, kevtaylor said:

Thanks smufter that's brilliant - looks like I'll be giving them a go.  I'd probably choose the beaked point over straight - any thoughts on that?

Personal preference I guess. I just don't like beaked points....

😉

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Any hook pattern with a beaked point if you think you may have to slacken off,  but then that still doesn't guarantee the hook won't get spat.  

My current lake is barbless. I had a fish last year and I went to unhook it in the net. Absolutely buried, I couldn't remove the hook no matter what. Went to get my forceps and returned to the net to find said hook and rig lying in the bottom of the net. I think what you need is to somehow shed the bait on s run as that's how I believe the fish rid the hook itself. By sucking and blowing the baited hair in and out of somehow dislodged the hook. Hook was a korda krank by the way. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, emmcee said:

Any hook pattern with a beaked point if you think you may have to slacken off,  but then that still doesn't guarantee the hook won't get spat.  

My current lake is barbless. I had a fish last year and I went to unhook it in the net. Absolutely buried, I couldn't remove the hook no matter what. Went to get my forceps and returned to the net to find said hook and rig lying in the bottom of the net. I think what you need is to somehow shed the bait on s run as that's how I believe the fish rid the hook itself. By sucking and blowing the baited hair in and out of somehow dislodged the hook. Hook was a korda krank by the way. 

Cheers mate - the bait comes off on the take no probs (premier), I'd say the hook hold was probably good, the line went eventually - not good.

If the management had bought me the boat when I requested it, I wouldnt be asking the question but I obviously cannot rely on them so may well have to slacken off as part of the process.

Thanks for the info - I'm looking at wide gapes with maximum beak - I'm told Fox are good, not tried Kranks yet.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, kevtaylor said:

Cheers mate - the bait comes off on the take no probs (premier), I'd say the hook hold was probably good, the line went eventually - not good.

If the management had bought me the boat when I requested it, I wouldnt be asking the question but I obviously cannot rely on them so may well have to slacken off as part of the process.

Thanks for the info - I'm looking at wide gapes with maximum beak - I'm told Fox are good, not tried Kranks yet.

 

 

I've used the fox armour point range. They are good hooks and very sharp. Only beaked point one i used was the chod type hook  from that range. All the rest I used were straight points but all very good hooks. 

Regarding the kranks,  size 4 or 2's . Don't go any smaller, apparently they bend out. Never had this problem with the size 4's though. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, smufter said:

I used them in France and they are great. The only reason I don't continue using them over here is that "my" syndicate is micro barbed only, they don't allow barbless. I had no problems with them at all.

I tried the wide gape version initially but preferred the straight points if I'm honest. They are a good size too.... not too big. The size 4's are perfect. They are very sharp too, straight out of the pkt. And they stayed sharp...

https://www.pallatrax.co.uk/product/gripz-straight-point-hooks/

I, too, used these in France. Never lost a fish yet almost all hookholds were released in the net. As stated, these are SHARP hooks! I used the straight points in size 4 and they were ideal.

I'd add that I've just had a long weekend on Horseshoe Lake, the Carp Society's headquarters, using the same hooks. I blanked but one of my fishing buddies had a PB mirror using identical hooks in a very weedy water. I'd be happy to commend the hooks to anyone.

Ian.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, crusian said:

Have you looked at the ESP Cryogen range , Kev. ? , maybe a Grip Rigger if the ESP blurb is to be believed .

I'm not fishing a weedy lake at the moment , so unfortunately I can't give a personal recommendation .

😃

 

I've got some Cryogen's mate but not in the barbless, will have a look at the range again.

Made my first rigs with the Pallatrax Grips last night, very happy with them, the beak is very beaked lol and sharp.

What I would say is that my size 4's are more like a 6 from other brands, if I'm happy with them I will buy the 2's next time.

Buzzing to get started!

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, kevtaylor said:

I've got some Cryogen's mate but not in the barbless, will have a look at the range again.

Made my first rigs with the Pallatrax Grips last night, very happy with them, the beak is very beaked lol and sharp.

What I would say is that my size 4's are more like a 6 from other brands, if I'm happy with them I will buy the 2's next time.

Buzzing to get started!

 

Can you post a review of the Pallatrax Grips please Kev. ; IMO  it would be good to have a review of beaked points to go along with Welders and Smufter reviews of straight points .

😀

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, crusian said:

Can you post a review of the Pallatrax Grips please Kev. ; IMO  it would be good to have a review of beaked points to go along with Welders and Smufter reviews of straight points .

😀

Yeah sure, hopefully I'll have some feedback pretty soon 👍

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...