Jump to content

What's your plans for the new year?


Recommended Posts

I doubt I am the only one that has already started planning for the year ahead? 

Next couple of Months head down trying to work hard and save up a bit of spare dosh, get new syndicate ticket and a few odds and sods 😏 then about march crack on for the year with a new challenge and a fresh start, this year has been a real steep learning curve for me, the highs and lows were good lessons to learn, I learnt I haven't got time for a real serious tough challenge and want to go fishing thinking I have a chance, I know I will mainly only be doing overnighters that seems the way for me, I want to go to catch fish not just one particular fish, so will be planning and baiting accordingly, working it out as I go, I am happy with my bait choice now you will be pleased to know so no more dicking about with that 😁

Targets 30lb +carp, and some nice shots and hopefully a good few for the photo album, but really I just want to enjoy it, to be able to relax and do it my way, take in the atmosphere, and be at peace with my surroundings ✌️😁

Lose some timber (mainly for happiness and mental wellbeing, not cos I feel Inadequate without a 6 pack ) 😁

Take the girls more, and try to maintain a healthy work/family/fishing balance 

Also I want to become more accurate at longer ranges, and also better at the other stuff and not worrying about rigs and bait I am pretty sure they work now it's more location, tactics, accuracy and opportunity, 

What are you guys planning for the new year? 

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 282
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I suppose in terms of this year I half succeeded against the odds, catching 20lb carp and pike  from Alton water despite Anglian Water keeping it closed for 6weeks longer than lockdown, although losin

Hopefully start a project with a mate that will see fishing local to me again , after everything local to me was wiped out by otters . Probably end up as a little syndi. Got to be dug first though! 

Very true mate, my mother in law has covid, she’s a nurse. My wife works in a care home that has covid cases and I work on an ambulance, dealing with covid cases. It’s difficult times for sure. Stay s

Posted Images

9 hours ago, framey said:

I just want to go more And just enjoy it without it being a chore

 

 

I think that is the tough one lsnt it, I find I've spent the week building up to a session planning and prepping and thinking, then by the time you get there you are knackered as something won't be how you imagine it in the build up, then it all feels a bit of a waste of all that energy, for me I think the key is to try to plan less and be better prepared for more situations 

I am also going to keep a log this year so I can remember more and make the same mistakes less 🤔😳😳😳😳😳😊😁

Edited by elmoputney
Link to post
Share on other sites

I know I'll not be fishing that much in 2020 (it'll be more than I did in 2019 though).

I'll be repeating the little autumn campaign on the days only club water I fished over Sept/Oct. That's if I'm not lucky enough to catch the biggun in spring (which is unlikely as A) I wont have a lot of time and B) the place sees miles more pressure in spring). But having walked the place all spring last year I might have a head start over some of the other guys. I know the spring areas and I know a couple of spots (which are at a premium as it's so, so weedy). I know where the biggun tends to get caught too. I don't think I'll get away with baiting due to how busy it gets in spring so my approach will likely be singles and zigs. Autumn I'll be piling it in, it was quiet last year. Of course all this assumes the biggun doesn't get ottered this winter!

My main priority for 2020 is to obtain a ticket for 2021. I have a couple of fingers in a couple of pies so I'm quite hopeful. 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, elmoputney said:

I find I've spent the week building up to a session planning and prepping and thinking, then by the time you get there you are knackered as something won't be how you imagine it in the build up, then it all feels a bit of a waste of all that energy, for me I think the key is to try to plan less and be better prepared for more situations

I don't get that at all elmo. I always spend a hell of a lot of time in preparation in for my fishing (my time on the bank is so limited that even the prep is a bit of an escape for me). I love it, prepping bait, tying rigs, working yourself up and getting excited. Of course it doesn't always go how you expect it to on the bank but that doesn't mean it's a waste of energy. What it means is that on those occasions when it does go to plan you are fully prepared. Nothing left to chance.

You cannot be better prepared for more situations if you do not spend the time planning. It doesn't work mate.

Ultimately all we have to do on the bank is whack a rig on a spot in front of some carp. There is not that much to it. I would say 50% of the work that goes into a successful campaign is actually done at home. It's the 6 P's innit; Proper preparation prevents p*ss poor performance.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I think we all are in the same boat...

Obtain my same ticket again with the added night permit...plenty of 48hrs on them...also visit some of the other lakes on it.

Target the 1 fish in the local lake @finchey it's a beauty...26lb DARK common...

Hopefully the little en comes more.

Start to accurate casting n spiffing.

Few Nik Naks (not the crisp)...see what the year brings...

Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, yonny said:

I don't get that at all elmo. I always spend a hell of a lot of time in preparation in for my fishing (my time on the bank is so limited that even the prep is a bit of an escape for me). I love it, prepping bait, tying rigs, working yourself up and getting excited. Of course it doesn't always go how you expect it to on the bank but that doesn't mean it's a waste of energy. What it means is that on those occasions when it does go to plan you are fully prepared. Nothing left to chance.

You cannot be better prepared for more situations if you do not spend the time planning. It doesn't work mate.

Ultimately all we have to do on the bank is whack a rig on a spot in front of some carp. There is not that much to it. I would say 50% of the work that goes into a successful campaign is actually done at home. It's the 6 P's innit; Proper preparation prevents p*ss poor performance.

I perhaps worded it badly, I meant more when you have planned and planned and it doesn't go to plan that it feels like a waste of energy, it wasn't but it feels like it is, 

I will still spend time walking and prebaiting and making sure I have rigs ready etc and ideas planned and I will also still enjoy it, maybe I am just kidding myself I won't become obsessed 😁

But I want to make less solid plans be more organised beforehand with a few options  and be more flexible to adapt to another situation upon arrival and not having made my mind up before I even get there because its become a routine to fish that swim, or because  that's where I think they might be, 

That still sounds a bit waffly after all that but hopefully makes some sense 😁

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, elmoputney said:

be more flexible to adapt to another situation upon arrival and not having made my mind up before I even get there because its become a routine to fish that swim, or because  that's where I think they might be, 

Absolutely mate, it's very easy to fall into that trap when you think you know what they're up to so you commit everything only to find out they're elsewhere!

31 minutes ago, elmoputney said:

I will also still enjoy it, maybe I am just kidding myself I won't become obsessed 😁

 

Ha! Of course you'll become obsessed.

Don't worry about the times it seems less enjoyable. Those times are important. Without those lows you can never experience the extreme highs that come when it all goes right!

Link to post
Share on other sites

Planning to spend some time fishing a new lake next year on an abandoned estate. I need to install some stepping stones across the boundary stream so I don’t get wet every time, make the hole in the fence bigger but not so big it attracts attention and undesirables, hack a short cut through some very dense brambles and clear a swim to make it fishable.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I will be getting a ticket for my local club  the same club as highy and maybe the night ticket, I keep saying I'm going to start doing some over nighters but never got around to it this year but I think the club water I'm fishing at the moment is perfect for me to do some over nighters and at £70 for the year I think it's a bargain. I'm also going to try and fish some of the other waters on the ticket, not carp but it will be nice too fish for some other species as well. 🎣🙂👍

Link to post
Share on other sites

Gonna be concentrating all my efforts on the secret lake next year.

I'm sure there is something very special in there and my mate a lovely mid double lin a couple of months back when we thought it was only commons.

Gonna start the baiting on 1st of March and make a new spot to fish where nobody is gonna find us.

Exciting times ahead.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Well reading through the posts I'm seeing the things im normally planning etc for the coming year.  But this year, instead of wondering how much bait, when to hit it hard etc I'm actually thinking hard as to whether to keep my syndicate ticket. With my new found love of sea fishing, I really can't see me going much next year. I had a pair of beach rods custom built for me in September which cost more for the pair than my 3 Harrison chimeras. Carp fishing doesn't seem to be at the front of my thoughts, never thought I'd say that.  I've got a cheap club ticket which I'd never let go as in a few years it's going to be a hell of a water with stacks of 30's and 40's just like it had in the 80's and 90's. But my syndicate I can do guest weekends if I wanted to go. I only really fished for carp in the spring this year but I've learnt that spring time is the time for Plaice and the  smooth hounds start to run and these smooth hounds are the most amazing fights I've had from any fish. 40-50yd initial runs followed by a powerful fight against fish and tide, I had a  15minute battle all for a 7lber. I want more of that.   They reckon a double figure one is like that but on steroids.  I want some of that. 

So I've got some serious thinking to do. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

August to October really brought my fishing back to life this year.

@crusian with a conversation we had made me realise how my fishing had become stale on Nazeing. It wasn't helped that it was a 70mile drive after work, and with my shifts I am often shattered so go first available swim, and often slept for 24hours out of 48.

 

Alton Reservoir is 5 miles away from my flat, so it is easy to pop down for a quick dog walk round a section, maybe pop a bit of bait in, although in 375acres...

I did enjoy my fishing on there this year, so hopefully it is a case of the same, a bit of roach fishing, some pike, possibly tench hunting, and probably carp hunting next year.

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, emmcee said:

Well reading through the posts I'm seeing the things im normally planning etc for the coming year.  But this year, instead of wondering how much bait, when to hit it hard etc I'm actually thinking hard as to whether to keep my syndicate ticket. With my new found love of sea fishing, I really can't see me going much next year. I had a pair of beach rods custom built for me in September which cost more for the pair than my 3 Harrison chimeras. Carp fishing doesn't seem to be at the front of my thoughts, never thought I'd say that.  I've got a cheap club ticket which I'd never let go as in a few years it's going to be a hell of a water with stacks of 30's and 40's just like it had in the 80's and 90's. But my syndicate I can do guest weekends if I wanted to go. I only really fished for carp in the spring this year but I've learnt that spring time is the time for Plaice and the  smooth hounds start to run and these smooth hounds are the most amazing fights I've had from any fish. 40-50yd initial runs followed by a powerful fight against fish and tide, I had a  15minute battle all for a 7lber. I want more of that.   They reckon a double figure one is like that but on steroids.  I want some of that. 

So I've got some serious thinking to do. 

I know what you mean about the smooth hound they are amazing fish they fight like no fresh water fish, my pb is 10lb and I still think about now, my best mates is 16lb and I've never seen a fight like it before or since, for there weight the are unreal. Unfortunately I don't go sea fishing anymore, enjoy it  mate I used to love my sea fishing but it got a bit to much with the travelling for me.🎣🙂👍

Link to post
Share on other sites

Unsure as yet, will be doing some more at Stanwicks might give Elsons a go, fancy a visit to bluebells as i have never fished it.

Local to home there is Bishops Bowl, i joined this year but they had to close in the summer due to a ammonia spike, i fished it a week before it closed you could smell that rotten smell coming from he water, could be down to mixing match fishing and large carp fishing? 

What i would like is a year ticket for the night fishing at KWP but the price is quite high around the 500 mark, bit too rich for me. 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Carpbell_ll said:

Unsure as yet, will be doing some more at Stanwicks might give Elsons a go, fancy a visit to bluebells as i have never fished it.

Local to home there is Bishops Bowl, i joined this year but they had to close in the summer due to a ammonia spike, i fished it a week before it closed you could smell that rotten smell coming from he water, could be down to mixing match fishing and large carp fishing? 

What i would like is a year ticket for the night fishing at KWP but the price is quite high around the 500 mark, bit too rich for me. 

 

Which of the waters at Kingsbury Water Park can be fished on the night ticket, mate? I guess that Pine Pool will be on the list. As you'll probably remember, I live a handful of miles from there and could, just possibly, be interested. However, as you suggest, £500 is a sum worthy of consideration...……………..

Ian.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, welder said:

Which of the waters at Kingsbury Water Park can be fished on the night ticket, mate? I guess that Pine Pool will be on the list. As you'll probably remember, I live a handful of miles from there and could, just possibly, be interested. However, as you suggest, £500 is a sum worthy of consideration...……………..

Ian.

 

I'm not 100% on the finer details but Pine is not on the night ticket , that is still on the year ticket and days with some bookable nights in the summer.

Canal, Broomey Croft which are next to each other and on the other side of the road there is Hemlingford and Bodymoor Heath all the big waters.

They have redone most of the pegs and moved a lot of fish around it is worth the money think you have to have the full specimen ticket which is around 180 then it is about another 300 on top for the night fishing lakes, they are rough prices as it is what i have been told,

The guy i get my bait off says they will sell a ticket if you turn up with the money but officially you have to have had and used a season ticket for day fishing before they will sell you a night ticket. 

It's a lot of water to go at and there are some big old fish in all of those lakes. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Carpbell_ll said:

I'm not 100% on the finer details but Pine is not on the night ticket , that is still on the year ticket and days with some bookable nights in the summer.

Canal, Broomey Croft which are next to each other and on the other side of the road there is Hemlingford and Bodymoor Heath all the big waters.

They have redone most of the pegs and moved a lot of fish around it is worth the money think you have to have the full specimen ticket which is around 180 then it is about another 300 on top for the night fishing lakes, they are rough prices as it is what i have been told,

The guy i get my bait off says they will sell a ticket if you turn up with the money but officially you have to have had and used a season ticket for day fishing before they will sell you a night ticket. 

It's a lot of water to go at and there are some big old fish in all of those lakes. 

"They have redone most of the pegs and moved a lot of fish around". Alarm bells already ringing. I won't be bothering but thanks for coming back.

Ian.

Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, finchey said:

I know what you mean about the smooth hound they are amazing fish they fight like no fresh water fish, my pb is 10lb and I still think about now, my best mates is 16lb and I've never seen a fight like it before or since, for there weight the are unreal. Unfortunately I don't go sea fishing anymore, enjoy it  mate I used to love my sea fishing but it got a bit to much with the travelling for me.🎣🙂👍

I've got one lake 30mins away, the other is 45mins and yet I drive for 90mins to go to the coast. And I do enjoy it, much more than I do carp fishing at the moment.  And  I've had bigger buzzes and satisfaction from catching new species of sea fish, some the size of the palm of my hand and proper buzzing about than a 30 or 40lb carp. My target is a double figure smoothie for sure this year. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, dayvid said:

Not sure where you are but their are plenty of double figure Smooth hounds down here on the South coast beaches < some are better than others.

If you didnt know already this is a very good Forum .

https://www.worldseafishing.com/forums/

Cheers for that, but I'm already a member of that forum. 

I fish the south coast beaches. Mainly hayling island but I do venture to hurst castle, Milford on sea,  hordle cliffs, highcliff and occasionally climping.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, emmcee said:

Cheers for that, but I'm already a member of that forum. 

I fish the south coast beaches. Mainly hayling island but I do venture to hurst castle, Milford on sea,  hordle cliffs, highcliff and occasionally climping.  

Get a road trip up to the Mersey emmcee loads of cod coming out the last few years......... 😬

Link to post
Share on other sites

My plans for 2020 is to better my PB tench,which has stood for over 30years and went 6lb 3oz and was caught on a side hooked strawberry boilie at Lymm Dam. A good size tench for the time and area (I hadn’t learnt how to hair rig then)

Still remember it like it was yesterday tbh and my club waters hold a few decent ones so it’s all systems go for that come spring. I’ve gone a bit full circle tbh and the last few seasons has seen me target different species more and more.  

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.




×
×
  • Create New...