Jump to content

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, crusian said:

Hello Blue

I also love Chris Yates's books , the only one I struggled with is Nightwalk , but I'll try again one day .

😃

I too had trouble getting through it... his new book "Winterwalk" is supposed to be coming out this year... maybe.... To be honest, if its the same vein as Nightwalk I may give it a miss... 

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The best fishing book of all time IMHO is “Rod, pole or perch” by Colin Willock who some people may remember was the first editor of the angling times. Here is just a snippet “Fishermen may be ma

We all have opinions,  that is what makes a great forum. No ones opinion is correct over someone else's. Just because one person likes one thing it doesn't mean that someone else should or will like i

In that case, put your tin hat on, because journalists have no writing skills, do not know how to make a point or even write decent English.   Do me a favour, don't write 3 or 4 posts, put i

I used to read a lot before the internet, now it's just when out fishing, never really read any angling books other than John Wilson and Strategic Carping by Crow and Hughes.

Currently my book on the bank is the Godfather, much better than the film, real life  books about the New York crime syndicates are always a good read, Tom Wolfe is a good fiction writer if you like social satire.

Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, bluelabel said:

I too had trouble getting through it... his new book "Winterwalk" is supposed to be coming out this year... maybe.... To be honest, if its the same vein as Nightwalk I may give it a miss... 

Hmm , I wonder how I can read an extract from Winterwalk before I commit to buying it ? .

🤔

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Carpbell_ll said:

 

Currently my book on the bank is the Godfather, much better than the film, real life  books about the New York crime syndicates are always a good read, Tom Wolfe is a good fiction writer if you like social satire.

I've been watching lots on YouTube about the New York crime families. I've watched ones with john alite (one of Gotti's hitmen) , sammy the bull another of Gotti's hitmen and a few with Michael Franzese from the columbo crime family. I find it fascinating if I'm honest. I also saw one with Gianni Russo in it, an actor in the Godfather who also had ties with the mob. His stories are quite something as are the rest. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, crusian said:

Hmm , I wonder how I can read an extract from Winterwalk before I commit to buying it ? .

🤔

If its out on Amazon as a kindle edition you can read a sample of some books... as far as I know its not out yet... some question as to when

Edited by bluelabel
Addendum
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Carpbell_ll said:

I used to read a lot before the internet, now it's just when out fishing, never really read any angling books other than John Wilson and Strategic Carping by Crow and Hughes.

Currently my book on the bank is the Godfather, much better than the film, real life  books about the New York crime syndicates are always a good read, Tom Wolfe is a good fiction writer if you like social satire.

I used to have a number of John Wilson's books, some of his trips were amazing. Something else he wrote was a Guide to Fishing in Norfolk and Suffolk, the rivers, lakes, both day ticket, season and syndicate as well as The Broads. There were a few done over the years, updates.

 

My non fishing books on the bank are often Isaac Asimov, and Frederick Forsyth, although I usually mix up with other authors like Lee Child, in fact pretty much anything.

The current Asimov books I have been reading are The Foundation series which I think are brilliant sci-fi, and he was well ahead of his time.

Lee Child books I can read, but after reading them, the Hollywood choice of Tom Cruise to play Reacher is totally wrong in the films.

If you like old fashioned comedic satire, Tom Sharpe, the Wilt series are very funny.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, salokcinnodrog said:I used to have a number of John Wilson's books, some of his trips were amazing. Something else he wrote was a Guide to Fishing in Norfolk and Suffolk, the rivers, lakes, both day ticket, season and syndicate as well as The Broads. There were a few done over the years, updates.

 

My non fishing books on the bank are often Isaac Asimov, and Frederick Forsyth, although I usually mix up with other authors like Lee Child, in fact pretty much anything.

The current Asimov books I have been reading are The Foundation series which I think are brilliant sci-fi, and he was well ahead of his time.

Lee Child books I can read, but after reading them, the Hollywood choice of Tom Cruise to play Reacher is totally wrong in the films.

If you like old fashioned comedic satire, Tom Sharpe, the Wilt series are very funny.

Got to agree with The Wilt series,  The early Spike Milligan books had me laughing 

Link to post
Share on other sites

The best fishing book of all time IMHO is “Rod, pole or perch” by Colin Willock who some people may remember was the first editor of the angling times. Here is just a snippet

“Fishermen may be many things, but they are not patient. They are probably the most impatient men on earth. They are not just sitting there waiting for something to happen. They are expecting, even willing, something to happen, now, the very next second, or the second after that. Even when it doesn’t happen, they still can’t believe that it won’t, but they know that the very first instant that they stop being prepared for it to happen, it will. That is why they are impatient.”

Now who does not relate to that observation?

Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, carpepecheur said:

“Fishermen may be many things, but they are not patient. They are probably the most impatient men on earth. They are not just sitting there waiting for something to happen. They are expecting, even willing, something to happen, now, the very next second, or the second after that. Even when it doesn’t happen, they still can’t believe that it won’t, but they know that the very first instant that they stop being prepared for it to happen, it will. That is why they are impatient.”

That is brilliant!

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, carpepecheur said:

The best fishing book of all time IMHO is “Rod, pole or perch” by Colin Willock who some people may remember was the first editor of the angling times. Here is just a snippet

“Fishermen may be many things, but they are not patient. They are probably the most impatient men on earth. They are not just sitting there waiting for something to happen. They are expecting, even willing, something to happen, now, the very next second, or the second after that. Even when it doesn’t happen, they still can’t believe that it won’t, but they know that the very first instant that they stop being prepared for it to happen, it will. That is why they are impatient.”

Now who does not relate to that observation?

That's why I always find stuff to mess about with whilst fishing because if I am sitting and WAITING, that alarm is Not going to scream into life. it's only going off whilst i am making dinner or asleep or emptying my bladder, or looking at the swim as far as you dare go from your rods, the carp always wait till you are compromised 🤔

Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, emmcee said:

I've been watching lots on YouTube about the New York crime families. I've watched ones with john alite (one of Gotti's hitmen) , sammy the bull another of Gotti's hitmen and a few with Michael Franzese from the columbo crime family. I find it fascinating if I'm honest. I also saw one with Gianni Russo in it, an actor in the Godfather who also had ties with the mob. His stories are quite something as are the rest. 

I found a book years ago by Lucky Luciano about his life story loved the whole atmosphere of bootleg era New York and what Prohibition lead to.

20 hours ago, salokcinnodrog said:

I used to have a number of John Wilson's books, some of his trips were amazing. Something else he wrote was a Guide to Fishing in Norfolk and Suffolk, the rivers, lakes, both day ticket, season and syndicate as well as The Broads. There were a few done over the years, updates.

 

My non fishing books on the bank are often Isaac Asimov, and Frederick Forsyth, although I usually mix up with other authors like Lee Child, in fact pretty much anything.

The current Asimov books I have been reading are The Foundation series which I think are brilliant sci-fi, and he was well ahead of his time.

Lee Child books I can read, but after reading them, the Hollywood choice of Tom Cruise to play Reacher is totally wrong in the films.

If you like old fashioned comedic satire, Tom Sharpe, the Wilt series are very funny.

Tried some Asimov one of the foundation series? bit technical for me but i think it was based on turning power supply into a religion where those that run the system were some sort of religious order. 

Edited by Carpbell_ll
Link to post
Share on other sites

 Edmund Cooper Transit The 1st SF book I read.  Easy to read not to long winded. ( not like this post ) When my brother moved out of the family home he left it behind I inherited his bedroom and the book.... and his bull worker lol ...always wanted to read it again so over the many years i kept a eye out for it in charity shops, bookshops and car boots  never any luck, anyway I’m in the airport waiting for a flight 30 years odd later and there sitting opposite is a young lady reading the book so I tells her the story of me looking for the book we have a laugh have a couple of drinks. I go to the bar come back with the drinks and there on the table is the book but no sign of her, I open the book and there on the inside cover she wrote “I enjoyed the chat so enjoy the book Linda x”

I read and enjoyed all the book on the holiday.... but went and left it behind at the Hotel 🙄 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1 May 2020 at 18:33, Carpbell_ll said:

I found a book years ago by Lucky Luciano about his life story loved the whole atmosphere of bootleg era New York and what Prohibition lead to.

Tried some Asimov one of the foundation series? bit technical for me but i think it was based on turning power supply into a religion where those that run the system were some sort of religious order. 

Kind of.

From using nuclear or atomic energy workers as priest to get planets to join the Foundation, after the breakdown of the Empire, to traders being the spread of the Foundation. Then add in an unpredicted anomaly and how that was dealt with.

 

 

 

I read Puckoon years ago when I was still at school, I think primary or middle school. Even then I found it funny.

Quote

Have you tried "Puckoon"...?

 

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, Big Bass said:

 Edmund Cooper Transit The 1st SF book I read.  Easy to read not to long winded. ( not like this post ) When my brother moved out of the family home he left it behind I inherited his bedroom and the book.... and his bull worker lol ...always wanted to read it again so over the many years i kept a eye out for it in charity shops, bookshops and car boots  never any luck, anyway I’m in the airport waiting for a flight 30 years odd later and there sitting opposite is a young lady reading the book so I tells her the story of me looking for the book we have a laugh have a couple of drinks. I go to the bar come back with the drinks and there on the table is the book but no sign of her, I open the book and there on the inside cover she wrote “I enjoyed the chat so enjoy the book Linda x”

I read and enjoyed all the book on the holiday.... but went and left it behind at the Hotel 🙄 

 

Aah ,  I thought you were going to end up married to the lovely Linda .

😁

Link to post
Share on other sites

The Syndicate series of books by Mark Cunnington. very easy to read, light heated and funny.

I am not a great reader of fiction but these books I have read multpile times. They still make me laugh even when I know whats coming. In my oppinion the first is deffinatly the best, out the rest 1 or 2 of them in my mind are a little weak compared to the others but still worth reading.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.




×
×
  • Create New...