New to Carping - Tackle and General Advice

Hello all, I'm new to the forum and looking for some gear advice.

I apologise in advance as I often waffle on but I feel it's the best way to paint a picture and get the best advice from yourselves, so hold tight and sit back haha!

I've been fishing since I was a lad with my dad, he's a proper old school coarse fisherman, uses same rod, reel wicker basket seat box for the last 30 years. Nothing wrong with that he loves it. I really started taking to fishing when I was around 14/15/16, we went to a local fishing pond that is perfect for course fishing. Over time I got bored of throwing a maggot out and waiting for a roach the size of my finger to take the bait (although I have fond memories of this fishing it just isn't for me). So I started buying some cheap, low end carp tackle to try start learning. Started on a feeder rod and a lead that was way too big for the pond and the rod but it was a start. Fast forward a bit and I bought more and more carp tackle and watched more videos and my fishing was improving. I am very lucky where I live as there are so many places to fish literally within 10/15 minutes of me, one of which is a commercial fishery. Me and a friend started going and we soon got ourself some cheap carp rods (more than likely the most basic model of NGT generic carp rod and carp pod) and we built our skills up there. There was 5 ponds and they was all very small ponds stacked with carp from 3lb - 15lb. I think my PB there is about 12/13lb from there. We did that a while up until I left secondary school and got a full time job straight away and life took over and I didn't go fishing for a about 5 years.

Last summer I decided I need a hobby and something to love outside of work, as a high stress job and long hours is tough (ah the car salesman life). I spent about £150 or something like that and bought an entry level NGT carp setup just to get me going, very basic but at that time I was buying a house and wanted all the money on kitting out the house. Anyway I bought a membership for the small ponds (2 ponds, 1 public 1 member pond) as it was literally something crazy like £30 a year. Anyway went about 10 times in 2 weeks with days off and after work and fell into love with it again, caught some nice little carp, best being around 16lb and learned about rigs and leads and all the good stuff with carping and feel comfortable with fishing for small carp and small ponds on basic tackle. Then I got the keys to my house and fishing just took a serious back foot.

So now I am in a position where I want to start carp fishing properly and invest in some decent tackle and make the time to go. So now after that long entry I need some advice in what to do next...

I'm now looking at tackle and I want to buy quality products that I won't grow out of in a few months but won't be buying for the sake of it. I've never fished further than probably 35 metres out on small ponds. There is a small fishing lake a stone throw away from my front door which allows night fishing and memberships are only about £40 a year! So I'm wanting tackle that isn't too big to never be able to go to ponds, is best at small lakes and maybe in the future handle some decent sized venues. I've been looking into tackle and what I'm wanting to get and here is where I'm at...

Rods - Fox Eos 12ft 3lb TC 

Reels - Fox Eos 10000 (I've seen the 7000s as well, which would suit my fishing better?)

Pod - Not sure yet

Bite Alarms - Korum KBI 3+1 set - I've seen someone selling x3 Nash S5 alarms for £50 but I in time want to start night fishing and don't want to have to get another set with a receiver as the S5 has no capability I believe that was the S5Rs.

What are peoples thoughts on the above? The above gear is the sort of mark I'm looking at spending at the moment, as I don't want to spend £££ and for what ever reason not go or get into it etc. So any better equivalents would be fantastic. As well as any advice and tips on starting out properly. 

I told you it would be a unnecessarily long read but hopefully it helped you get a picture and I can get some advice on my new venture.

Thanks all - Craig

Welcome to Carp.com.

You are going to get various replies on tackle as everyone has what works for them, and their own views.

Personally, I think the rods you are looking at are too high a test curve and the reels too big.

For the waters you are fishing, believe it or not, if you are fishing for carp into double figures, possibly even 20lb, then I would be using a barbel rod, 1.5-2.5lb test curve maximum and a reel in (Shimano size) around ST 6000 size.

You won't be needing high test curve rods over that unless you fish waters over around 10 acres. On a 160 acre reservoir I used 2.75lb tc rods!

If you are insistent on then have a look at 2.75lb test curve Shimano Tribal Rods.

Alarms are again personal, there are so many different types around now, Fox, Delkim EV, Korum etc ad nauseum.

7 hours ago, salokcinnodrog said:

Welcome to Carp.com.

You are going to get various replies on tackle as everyone has what works for them, and their own views.

Personally, I think the rods you are looking at are too high a test curve and the reels too big.

For the waters you are fishing, believe it or not, if you are fishing for carp into double figures, possibly even 20lb, then I would be using a barbel rod, 1.5-2.5lb test curve maximum and a reel in (Shimano size) around ST 6000 size.

You won't be needing high test curve rods over that unless you fish waters over around 10 acres. On a 160 acre reservoir I used 2.75lb tc rods!

If you are insistent on then have a look at 2.75lb test curve Shimano Tribal Rods.

Alarms are again personal, there are so many different types around now, Fox, Delkim EV, Korum etc ad nauseum.

Thank you for the advice @salokcinnodrog

On reflection I think you’re right, I don’t need the tc and I would be looking more towards to 5/7000 reels. Someone is selling x3 Fox EOS 5000 reels near me for £80, would they be a good suit?

I’ve also been looking into 10ft rods - Nash Dwarf, Sonik Vader X etc. What’s your thoughts on them for my style of fishing? Whenever I think of carp fishing I’ve always thought of 12ft rods but again like you said, I’m not on a 160 acre res. I know the 6ft - 10ft rods well suited to stalking and light and easy transportation type of fishing, but can they be used as a main setup?  

Edited by CarpingCraig

I would say that a 6' rod will be too short on bigger waters... the 9 and 10 footers will probably  get you by, but for a big water you'd probably need a 12 footer... myself I use a set of 9' Nash  Dwarfs... they suit the smaller waters I fish and if I got onto a big water I'm proficient enough at casting to get up to 80 odd mts to get by, so they do me... its all down to what you are comfortable with... don't slavishly follow what the mags and media say... go with what feels right..

Tight lines and welcome to the forum

Sonik do some decent entry gear so I wouldn’t discount having a look at some of their gear. 12ft 3lb TC rods could see you tackle most waters in the U.K. should you wish to start travelling to other waters/day tickets with bigger fish in.

Welcome aboard mate 😬😎🎣

USonik vaders are good rods for the money, up to all the tasks of a small pond I would say, I gave mine a beating last year, as long as you don't need to cast to the horizon they would be a decent start up rod for small waters, personally I don't think it's worth spending mega bucks unless you really need to whack a lead out 👍

@bluelabel @snowmanstevo @finchey @elmoputney - Thanks for all your advice and welcoming fellas, appreciate it. Always have loved forums, much better than Facebook in terms of info and people wise.

Just bought these off eBay for a cracking price of £36 + postage for the KBI 3+1 and Korum buzz bar/bank sticks. I know they aren't delkims but for my style of fishin they should do me well, even if just for summer/autumn and upgrade in winter. I like the look of the atts.

I've done a little research on forums and videos with people who actually own 9/10ft rods and these sound like the ones for me. It's just which size do I go for 9 or 10ft? I know I put on the original post I'd be wanting to go to the small club ponds near me when my dad goes once in a blue moon, but it will really be a blue moon if at all. Furtherest I'll probably need to cast at the lake going to concentrate my skills on at is about 60 metres. Tc wise I'll be looking at around 2.5lb or 2.75lb tops.

I'm currently looking at Sonik Radar X which only come in 10ft and 3lb but I'm liking the look of the Nash Dwarf which come in 9/10ft and much more tc choice suited.

My Nash Dwarfs are 9' 2.75lbs and are perfect for me... (note I said "for me") a look on the bay should find a pair of 9' or 10' 2.75lb rods... even the earlier Mk1 Dwarfs were okay... (I moved my Mk1's on when the Mk2's came out as I'm a tackle tart) The 9 and 10 footers have been recorded by top caster Terry Edmonds at over 160mts so  your 60 mts chucks are well withing their capabilities... hope this helps....

17 hours ago, salokcinnodrog said:

Welcome to Carp.com.

I’m with you on this.  My favourite rod is a barbel rod. Fantastic to play fish on. Unfortunately the pond I now fish insists on 3lb test curve.  A real pity as I only ever need to cast 60yds

47 minutes ago, CarpingCraig said:

@bluelabel @snowmanstevo @finchey @elmoputney - Thanks for all your advice and welcoming fellas, appreciate it. Always have loved forums, much better than Facebook in terms of info and people wise.

Just bought these off eBay for a cracking price of £36 + postage for the KBI 3+1 and Korum buzz bar/bank sticks. I know they aren't delkims but for my style of fishin they should do me well, even if just for summer/autumn and upgrade in winter. I like the look of the atts.

I've done a little research on forums and videos with people who actually own 9/10ft rods and these sound like the ones for me. It's just which size do I go for 9 or 10ft? I know I put on the original post I'd be wanting to go to the small club ponds near me when my dad goes once in a blue moon, but it will really be a blue moon if at all. Furtherest I'll probably need to cast at the lake going to concentrate my skills on at is about 60 metres. Tc wise I'll be looking at around 2.5lb or 2.75lb tops.

I'm currently looking at Sonik Radar X which only come in 10ft and 3lb but I'm liking the look of the Nash Dwarf which come in 9/10ft and much more tc choice suited.

Welcome to the forum mate. 

For 95% of my UK fishing I use my 10ft Nash Dwarf Mk2 rods. I use them on waters as small as 1.5 acres, up to 15 acres. I have them in 3.5lb, because I fish with PVA bags and they have the backbone to chuck these a decent distance. Although they have the backbone, they have a very forgiving tip section, which makes using them on small waters easy. If you aren't using PVA bags, I would go a lighter test curve. I went for 10 foot over 9 foot as it gives you a bit more reach on bigger waters - but with a pack down size only 6 inches more.

I pair these with the new Avid AV8000 reels, which balance perfectly but still have the capacity and capability to chuck distance if needed; they're light weight, very smooth clutch and only £68.00 each. (Check the Rod Shots post for a picture of them on the dwarfs)

There are of course, other makes and Sonik retractable rods get very good reviews. Best thing is to get to a tackle shop when they open again, have a play with some - short retractable rods are quite controversial for some reason, with some people thinking they're a gimmick or a fad, but only you know what you need for your style of fishing.

As an aside, I do fish larger waters (30 acres +) and for that you will definitely need a set of 12 footers minimum - I have Fox X4 3.5lb paired with XTD 14000 for that scenario.

Edited by Damo_UK