Jump to content
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Recommended Posts

8 hours ago, framey said:

There is a virus or something that can be caught from peanuts So be careful 

I’m going to find out the name of it so will be back

 

It's a cancer caused by aflatoxins.

Bird peanuts used to be the leftovers, quite literally the rubbish that hit the floor, got wet, mildewed and attacked by bugs. However I think you will find they now have to be top grade human quality, so these aflatoxins are not present in them anymore.

A 1kg bag is actually perfect, it stop you using too many. If you work on one bag per trip or for 48 hours then that prevents the 'addiction' that fishing with too many can create. Obviously, don't forget, soak for a minimum of 24hours and boil for 20minutes.

Peanuts while they are high in Vitamin E, due to, I think, an enzyme inhibitor it stops the nutrition being utilised, so high quantities of peanuts are not good for carp, and many places ban them.

Dried mealworms float, might be some alternative thinking coming around, like putting them in groundbait and wet spod mixes for floater fishing, or even as freebies for surface fishing...

Or maybe grinding into base mixes...

As for the wild bird seed, £1 a kilo may be slightly more than £12 for 15 or 20kg from an animal food store, but I have bought bags from the supermarket when out fishing just to top up, or not been able to get to the animal feed shop. The preparation is easy when fishing, I just pour boiling water over them in a bait bucket, put the lid on and they are ready 24hours later. You can boil them after 24hours, it releases sugars, and does make them more attractive.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Bought a 12.5kg of B&M sack of bird seed for silly cheap money and blended it with some hemp (which is very expensive now) and added a bag of frozen sweetcorn after cooking and use that as my spod mix. I get most of my seeds from Jollyes pet store as they have 20kg sacks or you can buy loose from the tubs which is far cheaper then buying from fishing shops. Pigeon conditioner is another good one although I do tend to add some foreign finch mix so there are a blend of larger and smaller seeds.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I used similar seeds tbis week, I added some chilli flakes, himilayan salt and a good glug of Stinger oil (you could get an oil from bm too have a look at the supermarket sweep thread for which oils you want,) I've used a stir fry oil before because that seemed to have a good blend 

I just soaked mine in a cool box for 36 hours and they went all gloopy and nice 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, salokcinnodrog said:

However I think you will find they now have to be top grade human quality, so these aflatoxins are not present in them anymore.

Nearly correct. By law all peanuts (including bird food grade) have to be tested for aflatoxins to get into the UK. Assuming we buy from a reputable source they are all OK.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks all, gonna pick some up today.

Sort bait at the weekend, the place were I'm going, is known, for NOT producing on ANY Immigration bait or Zigs, it's gonna be all bottom / pop ups, but they do have an acquired taste for Sticky Manilla, so it maybe a soak / Boil over weekend then on Monday, Day before, put a good helping of Stickys Manilla Pellet, Crumb n Chop Boilies and Glug.

MAYBE a few already prepared Dynamite Tiger Nuts ?

Edited by Highy

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
46 minutes ago, elmoputney said:

I used similar seeds tbis week, I added some chilli flakes, himilayan salt and a good glug of Stinger oil (you could get an oil from bm too have a look at the supermarket sweep thread for which oils you want,) I've used a stir fry oil before because that seemed to have a good blend 

I just soaked mine in a cool box for 36 hours and they went all gloopy and nice 

 

Chilli oil

2 birds with 1 stone lol

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Mealworms will re hydrate , which is what I do to feed the Birds , especially in the summer when the have young.

Never thought about adding Mealworms to bait though  , ummmm like the idea......

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, dayvid said:

Mealworms will re hydrate , which is what I do to feed the Birds , especially in the summer when the have young.

Never thought about adding Mealworms to bait though  , ummmm like the idea......

Good bait for chub, even as they float. Carefully hook them, with maybe a cork ball on the hook eye, then freeline or drift them in the current, although you might need a controller to get a good straight drift as they are so light.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, framey said:

Chilli oil

2 birds with 1 stone lol

I think garlic is a good oil too I've used that before, chilli and garlic mixed  would also be good 🌶️😂

 

Who doesn't love chilli and garlic based meals 🤔

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The reason I went with stur fry oil though was that it was a mix of oils 

I am Stück in a queue on Morrisons to find out what they are 😢

Sunflower oil, sesame oil, ginger and garlic extract, just add some chilli oil or flakes tasty treats

Edited by elmoputney

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Wilko's do a good range of bird seed just got a 12 kilo sack for 7 quid for the garden though, Hemp prices have gone crazy all the idiots and that nonsense CBD stuff, there are shops near me that sell dried hemp buds with a high CBD amount and under the legal amount of THC I don't know who is buying it but it is well pricey, that used to be known as getting mugged off back in the day  :mrgreen:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, elmoputney said:

I think garlic is a good oil too I've used that before, chilli and garlic mixed  would also be good 🌶️😂

 

Who doesn't love chilli and garlic based meals 🤔

I use Verselle Laga garlic oil bird food in some of my baits. Good additive in my pop-ups, but it does stink a bit!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Would you guys all say that pigeon Conditioner? Is a better seed mix than other pigeon mixes without aniseed etc? Does the aniseed make it better in your opinions? 

And what are the must have Ingredients in your seed mix? Naturally I dont mind adding my own additives to make it more appealing such as liquids etc and flavour enhancers like chilli or garlic 

I've been looking and I've found some different ones, one has mainly larger items see below for Ingredients 

Ingredients: French Roundberry Maize, Maple Peas, Blue Peas, Tares, Red Dari, Tic Beans

Which would mean less airbombing and larger easier to find morsels for the carps 😁

This mix comes in at 13.99 for 20kgs plus postage so pretty wallet friendly 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
57 minutes ago, elmoputney said:

Would you guys all say that pigeon Conditioner? Is a better seed mix than other pigeon mixes without aniseed etc? Does the aniseed make it better in your opinions? 

And what are the must have Ingredients in your seed mix? Naturally I dont mind adding my own additives to make it more appealing such as liquids etc and flavour enhancers like chilli or garlic 

I've been looking and I've found some different ones, one has mainly larger items see below for Ingredients 

Ingredients: French Roundberry Maize, Maple Peas, Blue Peas, Tares, Red Dari, Tic Beans

Which would mean less airbombing and larger easier to find morsels for the carps 😁

This mix comes in at 13.99 for 20kgs plus postage so pretty wallet friendly 

The aniseed is definitely an attractor, smells very nice to me.

 

I used to get split bags of whatever Pigeon mix when I was working at Gladwells, never minded which I got, they all worked, you just had to check if there were large seeds or maize in there and be sure to soak and boil if there were.

 

Pigeon mixes, Chicken corn, whichever all work. The pigeon mixes do tend to have a few extra goodies in, for conditioning pigeons (d'oh😁), whereas chicken corn is maize, whole and split, grain and usually a bit of rapeseed.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, salokcinnodrog said:

The aniseed is definitely an attractor, smells very nice to me.

 

I used to get split bags of whatever Pigeon mix when I was working at Gladwells, never minded which I got, they all worked, you just had to check if there were large seeds or maize in there and be sure to soak and boil if there were.

 

Pigeon mixes, Chicken corn, whichever all work. The pigeon mixes do tend to have a few extra goodies in, for conditioning pigeons (d'oh😁), whereas chicken corn is maize, whole and split, grain and usually a bit of rapeseed.

I am with you on the conditioning aspect they seem to have extras that contain more oils like linseed, hempseed etc, I guess the extra £4 might be worth spending for the posh stuff then 😂

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If you want larger quantities so you can prep and freeze I have used these this year. Good quality plus you can get splits and premium nuts too. I personally went for the standards but I think I’ll go premium next time just for the larger size. 
https://www.gardenwildlifedirect.co.uk/bird-straight-foods/peanuts.html

if carpmachine was still on here he would be telling you to buy the Red Peanuts. They are meant to be much better however they are much more expensive. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...