Jump to content
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Recommended Posts

Hello everyone, was hoping for some advice on zig rigs. I'm going to be fishing a hard lake soon that I have only ever caught off the top from but they have recently banned surface fishing so was planning to give a zig a go. 

I know the basics of zigs on how to tie them and to find the depth of the swim and start at 2/3rd depth and then adjust from there. Was just wondering what colours of foam should I try? I was going to go with black as its been bright and very hot out, should I loose feed hemp over the top of the zig or would that just get the birds to bother me? the other thing is that there is a part of the lake that is around 12ft deep, if i fish a 10 foot zig how hard is it to net the fish once its hooked? (if i nab a fish at all) one last thing would be the lead set up, should i go with a heavy lead or a lighter one using a lead clip or an inline with a ring swivel or a normal swivel?

I would appreciate any and all advice with zig fishing as I have never fished with them before thanks all

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi Mate,

In terms of which colour foam to use, it's all down to preference but my rule of thumb is if your fishing in the upper half of the water, then i use black foam and if your fishing in the lower half, then use a brighter colour.

My thinking behind this is that when the carp are looking up, black will stand out against the bright sky, when they look down, a bright colour like yellow will stand out against the dark bed of the lake. This isn't a stead fast rule however, as any colour will work in any situation but its just a rough guide to work from.

The easiest way to net the fish with a long hooklink is to drop the lead, which will allow you to wind in further, or use a zig float. 

If i am fishing with a zig float, then i use the lead set up the float packaging suggests but if i am using "fixed zigs" then i always use a lead clip with heavy leads. That way i can make sure if i am fishing super long hook links, then i can put the pin in the lead clip and fish drop off style or take the pin out if i dont need to drop the lead.

I would also always use a ball swivel as it gives max movement and prevent line twists. Fox do a great little kit's which comes with everything you need to fish zigs, i will post a link below.

Fixed Zigs

https://www.anglingdirect.co.uk/fox-edges-zig-lead-clip-kit

Adjustable Zigs

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Fox-Edges-Zig-Float-cac753/dp/B07T5RJB7D

 

Also they have a couple great short videos on their youtube page which demonstrates both types of zig fishing, which i found really useful, if you just search for fox zig fishing, you should find them :)

Sorry for some of the grammar, i wrote this in a rush just before a online work meeting :')

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, The_Viking_Angler said:

Hi Mate,

In terms of which colour foam to use, it's all down to preference but my rule of thumb is if your fishing in the upper half of the water, then i use black foam and if your fishing in the lower half, then use a brighter colour.

My thinking behind this is that when the carp are looking up, black will stand out against the bright sky, when they look down, a bright colour like yellow will stand out against the dark bed of the lake. This isn't a stead fast rule however, as any colour will work in any situation but its just a rough guide to work from.

The easiest way to net the fish with a long hooklink is to drop the lead, which will allow you to wind in further, or use a zig float. 

If i am fishing with a zig float, then i use the lead set up the float packaging suggests but if i am using "fixed zigs" then i always use a lead clip with heavy leads. That way i can make sure if i am fishing super long hook links, then i can put the pin in the lead clip and fish drop off style or take the pin out if i dont need to drop the lead.

I would also always use a ball swivel as it gives max movement and prevent line twists. Fox do a great little kit's which comes with everything you need to fish zigs, i will post a link below.

Fixed Zigs

https://www.anglingdirect.co.uk/fox-edges-zig-lead-clip-kit

Adjustable Zigs

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Fox-Edges-Zig-Float-cac753/dp/B07T5RJB7D

 

Also they have a couple great short videos on their youtube page which demonstrates both types of zig fishing, which i found really useful, if you just search for fox zig fishing, you should find them :)

Sorry for some of the grammar, i wrote this in a rush just before a online work meeting :')

 

Something else that works as a zig bait is real or fake maggots on the hook or foam, but real can be a pain if you have loads of silver fish in the water.

 

Using real maggots is not that hard but can be fiddly. Using a needle thread them onto a length of dental floss or fine mono, and then attach that to the foam or cork on the hook.

Spraying a few maggots over it with a catty, or even floating maggots in groundbait...

You get some real hits on that!

 

 

I do prefer using adjustable zigs to keep the hooklink length shorter.

 

With the adjustable zig I work from surface down rather than bottom to top.

 

 

image.jpeg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, The_Viking_Angler said:

Hi Mate,

In terms of which colour foam to use, it's all down to preference but my rule of thumb is if your fishing in the upper half of the water, then i use black foam and if your fishing in the lower half, then use a brighter colour.

My thinking behind this is that when the carp are looking up, black will stand out against the bright sky, when they look down, a bright colour like yellow will stand out against the dark bed of the lake. This isn't a stead fast rule however, as any colour will work in any situation but its just a rough guide to work from.

The easiest way to net the fish with a long hooklink is to drop the lead, which will allow you to wind in further, or use a zig float. 

If i am fishing with a zig float, then i use the lead set up the float packaging suggests but if i am using "fixed zigs" then i always use a lead clip with heavy leads. That way i can make sure if i am fishing super long hook links, then i can put the pin in the lead clip and fish drop off style or take the pin out if i dont need to drop the lead.

I would also always use a ball swivel as it gives max movement and prevent line twists. Fox do a great little kit's which comes with everything you need to fish zigs, i will post a link below.

Fixed Zigs

https://www.anglingdirect.co.uk/fox-edges-zig-lead-clip-kit

Adjustable Zigs

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Fox-Edges-Zig-Float-cac753/dp/B07T5RJB7D

 

Also they have a couple great short videos on their youtube page which demonstrates both types of zig fishing, which i found really useful, if you just search for fox zig fishing, you should find them :)

Sorry for some of the grammar, i wrote this in a rush just before a online work meeting :')

 

Cheers mate, will definitely give the adjustable zigs a go seems a bit better than having to tie up new ones when I fancy changing the depth, I've watched a few vids on zigs and it was always the netting portion I couldn't wrap my head around but fishing a drop off makes a lot of sense I dont usually go for heavy leads but I do have a few 3.5oz pears kicking about I think so I'll give those a go.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, salokcinnodrog said:

Something else that works as a zig bait is real or fake maggots on the hook or foam, but real can be a pain if you have loads of silver fish in the water.

 

Using real maggots is not that hard but can be fiddly. Using a needle thread them onto a length of dental floss or fine mono, and then attach that to the foam or cork on the hook.

Spraying a few maggots over it with a catty, or even floating maggots in groundbait...

You get some real hits on that!

 

 

I do prefer using adjustable zigs to keep the hooklink length shorter.

 

With the adjustable zig I work from surface down rather than bottom to top.

 

 

image.jpeg

I was thinking of giving the maggots a go tied to a slice of cork as I've had some pretty good success on another lake fishing maggot clips and a big bunch of maggots tied up to the hook using a mini swivel (medusa rig?)

The only thing that is making me think twice about that method is the huge number of silvers I've seen in the lake I'm going to next. do you think a larger size hook and a bigger bunch of maggots will keep the silvers for pestering me too much?

Thanks for the reply 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
54 minutes ago, DubVader said:

do you think a larger size hook and a bigger bunch of maggots will keep the silvers for pestering me too much?

Whenever I've tried it I get silly little liners & find a small perch has gobbled them up. Very frustrating.

Stick to foam or a pop up in waters with mixed coarse fish would be my advice mate. 

I am still waiting for my red letter day on zigs, but I plan to persist.

There's some very interesting previous threads on this subject, just use the search function. 

Be lucky

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, commonly said:

Whenever I've tried it I get silly little liners & find a small perch has gobbled them up. Very frustrating.

Stick to foam or a pop up in waters with mixed coarse fish would be my advice mate. 

I am still waiting for my red letter day on zigs, but I plan to persist.

There's some very interesting previous threads on this subject, just use the search function. 

Be lucky

Ok I'll stick with some foam, cheers fella I will have a search and read through

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, DubVader said:

Cheers mate, will definitely give the adjustable zigs a go seems a bit better than having to tie up new ones when I fancy changing the depth, I've watched a few vids on zigs and it was always the netting portion I couldn't wrap my head around but fishing a drop off makes a lot of sense I dont usually go for heavy leads but I do have a few 3.5oz pears kicking about I think so I'll give those a go.

Both fixed and adjustable have their different pros and cons mate, just about using the best one for your situation. Again, fox have two recent videos which covers both set ups and the different advantages they offer.

3.5oz will be fine mate, I usually use 3oz.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...