Jump to content

Recommended Posts

Going night fishing tomorrow and i've purchased a portable heater (they run of them cheap bottles of gas or butane im not sure what they are)

But im wondering if its safe for me to have it on in my bivvy? i've saw in a few places it's not  due to carbon monoxide poisoning but then i've seen people saying it is okay

I'd rather be safe and ask than be wrong and dead. hope you're all doing well

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Not really 

most people do up the door fully so carbon monoxide cannot escape

2 why would you put a naked flame in a tent that is extremely flammable 

you would be better with
a decent sleeping bag or a cover

put the unhooking mat on top of the bivvy

a hot water bottle

its not really that cold at this time of the year so you shouldn’t really need a heater anyway 

If you do Decide to use the heater please be careful and don’t become One of the statisticS

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, cromiee said:

Going night fishing tomorrow and i've purchased a portable heater (they run of them cheap bottles of gas or butane im not sure what they are)

But im wondering if its safe for me to have it on in my bivvy? i've saw in a few places it's not  due to carbon monoxide poisoning but then i've seen people saying it is okay

I'd rather be safe and ask than be wrong and dead. hope you're all doing well

 

Of course they are safe , but in the wrong hands are lethal  , To ask this question is good ,but you need to decide if you can use it safely , I fish with an open fronted Bivvy ,so not a problem, but would never use it in a bivvy with the front on , let alone zipped up .

This time of year ,you should never need one anyway , take an extra jumper and joggers

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, dayvid said:

Of course they are safe , but in the wrong hands are lethal

I disagree but agree with you! The worst thing you can possibly do is go to sleep with one on as you could possibly never wake up. I remember a while back Pete Reagan wrote in Carpology that he went to sleep with one burning during a cold spell and awoke a few hours later and was violently sick and had the mother of all headaches. He survives to tell the tale but hasn't used one since. Even if you use one just to warm up the bivvy, Carbon Monoxide poisoning causes drowsiness which is likely to make you sleepy. Don't do it!   

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, cromiee said:

Going night fishing tomorrow and i've purchased a portable heater (they run of them cheap bottles of gas or butane im not sure what they are)

But im wondering if its safe for me to have it on in my bivvy? i've saw in a few places it's not  due to carbon monoxide poisoning but then i've seen people saying it is okay

I'd rather be safe and ask than be wrong and dead. hope you're all doing well

 

I never use a bivvy heater, I would much rather have the clothes and sleeping equipment to keep warm, even in winter. 

 

I have seen too many accidents, from a sleeping bag falling on a lit stove, burning a hole in it while my mate sorted a fish, to a complete bivvy burnout and an angler needing hospital treatment for serious burns. 

 

I even use my stove outside the bivvy rather than risk fire inside. Even doing that I have melted holes in a groundsheet by taking a pan off the stove when I went to strike a run and putting it just inside the door. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, salokcinnodrog said:

I never use a bivvy heater, I would much rather have the clothes and sleeping equipment to keep warm, even in winter. 

 

I have seen too many accidents, from a sleeping bag falling on a lit stove, burning a hole in it while my mate sorted a fish, to a complete bivvy burnout and an angler needing hospital treatment for serious burns. 

 

I even use my stove outside the bivvy rather than risk fire inside. Even doing that I have melted holes in a groundsheet by taking a pan off the stove when I went to strike a run and putting it just inside the door. 

Nothing like kicking a lit flaming Inferno Coleman Out of the bivvy lol

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, framey said:

Nothing like kicking a lit flaming Inferno Coleman Out of the bivvy lol

You just reminded me about an incident I had with one of the blue canister Camping Gaz stoves I had years ago. I put a new cylinder on, but must have made the hole too big, or it split as I screwed the stove on. I didn't hear any leak but when I lit it the whole lot went up. I had to kick that into the lake. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, Damo_UK said:

This is a great tip  -  why have I never thought of this before!!

Another almost forgotten trick is to fill the air-space beneath your bedchair to prevent a cold aura from the ground. Anything not immediately required will do. Bivvy bag, luggage, holdall etc. It works, trust me.

Ian.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 06/06/2020 at 02:10, cromiee said:

Going night fishing tomorrow and i've purchased a portable heater (they run of them cheap bottles of gas or butane im not sure what they are)

But im wondering if its safe for me to have it on in my bivvy? i've saw in a few places it's not  due to carbon monoxide poisoning but then i've seen people saying it is okay

I'd rather be safe and ask than be wrong and dead. hope you're all doing well

 

I'll go with the don't use gas for heating unless you are fully aware and confident, i would definitely use propane over butane, most camping gas does not burn clean enough for indoor heating, best thing and safest if you really want a heater is to get a good silent generator and a halogen bulb heater, that's the rig i'd get if i ever had the dosh for a good quality bait boat. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Carpbell_ll said:

i would definitely use propane over butane

I think that you'll find most camping gas canisters are a mixture of propane (C3H8) and butane (C4H10). In an ideal world, it would completely combust in air with the Oxygen present and form Carbon Dioxide and Water. Unfortunately things are never perfect and you'll always get a percentage of Carbon Monoxide. The older and more blocked the nozzles are, the greater the chance of CO formation. You might get away with it for a while as CO is a silent killer (doesn't have a smell and the effects creep up on you). It's like loading a revolver with one bullet and playing Russian Roulette 6 times!

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...