Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Sign in to follow this  
mulla

Surface Fishing

Hi, I am starting to try and fish the surface and finding my hook link is sinking just near the hook bait can anyone recommend what type of hook link line is best. Another question is would you recommend the fish take the bait or do you feel I should strike

Thanks in advance. :roll:

Google, TFG surface missiles. These are fantastic floats for surface fishing. Either that, the Drennan (as ethanjames has shown) or the ESP carp controller. But i think the TFG missiles out shine them by far. :wink:

Just ordered the Surface Missile looks good and can’t wait to get cracking with it. Regards the Helicopter Rig is there a link I can find that shows this as I have only been carp fishing for one year and just moving away from basic stuff. Its great to get all your tips thanks again.

Regards the Helicopter Rig is there a link I can find that shows this as I have only been carp fishing for one year and just moving away from basic stuff.

To be honest mate you will find that 99% of the people on here will say keep it simple, its the best way to be honest cos i feel it keeps your end tackle as unobtrusive as possible.

Thanks that sounds goo to me, What do you think of the Fake Dog biscuits as i was trying with them last week and seemed to get loads of takes but the line i was using was sinking i think that was the problem do you agree ?

Thanks that sounds goo to me, What do you think of the Fake Dog biscuits as i was trying with them last week and seemed to get loads of takes but the line i was using was sinking i think that was the problem do you agree ?

Dont know ive never used fake dog biscuits cos my club has banned all artificial baits.

Your line sinking certainly wouldn't have done you any favours in terms of presentation or staying in contact with your end tackle. But there are other things to ask yourself if your not catching, like are the fish feeding confidently enough that i'm going to catch with my presentation the way it is, or is there any pattern to their feeding which i'm not exploiting, am i pulling the bait out of their mouths'? If not then you need to start playing about a bit with things and/or come at the fish with a different line of attack.

As for placcy dog buscuits, i've always found that a hair rigged brown pop-up cut to size and shape works well enough. I personally don't see the point in the plastic stuff (i do use plastics on ledger presentaions), but if you are confident and getting bites with it, crack on mate.

:wink:

Definitly pulling up some other surface fishing threads as this subject has been covered in the past.

One thing I will say is that sometimes Carp will take the first bait that hits the water, then disappear if they keep going in, or at other times you will have to get them searching out every biscuit, and keep firing in baits for over an hour before they get pre-occupied.

Also it can pay to freeline surface baits at times as the splash of the controller can spook very wary fish.

got to a lake one day, and found the fish wre all up on the top, and my mate, not being bothered to set up his rigs again, fished with a controller on a lead clip, the only problem was, he had 3ft of leadcore dangling down behind.

He didn't catch :P

grease youre line and i strike as soon as the fish starts to move the controller

i really wouldnt recomend that because most of the time the fish play around with the hookbait, so i would strike as soon as the lips enclose the hook bait :)

When i surface fish i just use really light tackle, its more enjoyable. I use 5lb maxima line, small reel and 1 1/2 lb test curve rod, bait band and dog biscuit....no weights or anything, just dip and cast. I keep the line tight and use my finger pulling the line, when the fish has taken the bait the line pulls, bingo!

Best way of surface fishing is Beachcaster style but it's a [censored] to set up and most Fisheries have banned it...not detremental reasons but because it's soo effective...