Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
pablo7uk

Ridiculous rules

I feel I'm at risk of being slated for posting this but I'm really interested to see if others have the same views as me. Now before anyone gets the wrong impression of me I totally always respect all fishery rules, I just sometimes question the logic of the rules some fisheries choose.

Examples;

Limit of 1 pint of maggots per session, winter season only (this was on an 8 acre lake) 

No zig rigs

No shelf life boilies

No pellets (but yet the fishery will grow their own fish on pellets only and feed them into the lake in winter)

I just can't really understand why these things would be banned. This isn't an infinite list by the way...what ridiculous rules have you come across in your area?

Personally I just want to enjoy my fishing, respect the venue, wildlife and fish but at least have the simple freedom of bait choice and rig choice.

Just an afterthought...

No pellets or fishery own pellets only

No particles or fishery own particles only

I appreciate particles can be prepared incorrectly and pellets have a huge varience in oil levels but I feel both these things can be used as a money making opportunity, as fishing and buying bait doesn't cost us enough anyway.

Limit of 1 pint of maggots per session, winter season only (this was on an 8 acre lake) 

No zig rigs

No shelf life boilies

No pellets (but yet the fishery will grow their own fish on pellets only and feed them into the lake in winter)

For these ones and this is aplicable to all anglers and all waters so here goes

1. People over using them can be bad for the fish as proven at Linear a couple of years ago when one lake had to be closed as they believe the condition of the fish was caused by the over use of maggots.

2. Zigs, as much as i love a zig, on a super busy water it must be like the sharks swimming through the mine field in finding nemo with all those lines up in the water, leading to a large quantity of foal hooked fish and damaged fish.

3. As much as its published that things have changed with shelfies some companies have invested in better methods of preserving but even with what we are sold by the marketing alot are still ploughing the potassium sorbate route, fish cosuming baits at high levels using this method have resulted in long term poor health and fish deaths (Anglers Mail did a study about 10 years ago the fish that were feed purely on shelf lifes from that era died)

4. Pure money making scam, the main base of most pellets on the market come from 2 or 3 companies.

Hope this helps mate

Unfortunately most Committees are run by old farts who like to impose their will on us, despite the fact most of them haven't picked up a rod in years!

Several years ago I went along to a Committee meeting of my local club with the idea that I wanted to give something back and get involved. I left shaking my head in disbelief. It was all so well scripted the Communist Party would have approved and any suggestions from the floor were rubbished and the 'old boys brigade' on the fringes were quick to establish a return to the status quo.

Have a look at some Club's rule books and you'll see how they like to have every base covered and it just goes on and on and gets more ridiculous the further down the page they go.

Some rules are purely to generate revenue such as only boilies or pellets bought on site.

I can appreciate that you have to have some rules, for example not fishing next to electricity pylons or starting fires but others are more dubious.

Thank god I'm not the only one haha. Thankfully a few of the waters I wanna fish this year seem to be very reasonable and well run but I checked out a few new potentials last night and couldn't believe what I was reading! Safe to say I won't bother with those places!

There’s a runs water I fish that has a few weird rules but the most annoying one is

no artificial baits. Apparently a carp died, when they did a biopsy it was full of fake corn 🤔🤔🤔This was straight from the bailiffs mouth but not sure how true that really is lol

but never had my rigs checked there and must of done over 50 sessions there easy lol 

Ive never had my rod licence checked tbh, and never had a rig or bait checked in all my time fishing,

I get them banning certain things like bait and only wanting people to use certain types of pellet etc, there lake if it helps keep it open and make it pay so be it, 

Also think more lakes should ban bait boats, them people always break other rules 😜😜😁