Jump to content
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
elmoputney

Tfg airbomb review and recommendations

Recommended Posts

When I fist got it I thought it was hard work, took a while to get used to it, I feel like I have not got it sorted a bit, 3 wraps shorter seems to be about right then cast like you would to hit the target, works quite well if you persevere, and gives a good spread, however I think I am about 3 casts from losing the airbomb as the shock beads on the leader have come off and the leader is hanging on for for grim death, so basically it had become useless after about 5 or 6 sessions,

 

with that in mind I need a decent reliable spod, spomb that can carry pigeon Conditioner and also boilies etc, I do have a Korda skyraider spod, but that loses a bit of goodness on the cast, and I have tried spombs before, they are OK but don't always open and I have cracked one off once or twice 😁

Is the spider spod any good? Fox spod? Dot spod? Any others or is the spomb about as good as they get? I have tried a hooky spomb that doesn't open hardly ever 😁

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, elmoputney said:

When I fist got it I thought it was hard work, took a while to get used to it, I feel like I have not got it sorted a bit, 3 wraps shorter seems to be about right then cast like you would to hit the target, works quite well if you persevere, and gives a good spread, however I think I am about 3 casts from losing the airbomb as the shock beads on the leader have come off and the leader is hanging on for for grim death, so basically it had become useless after about 5 or 6 sessions,

 

with that in mind I need a decent reliable spod, spomb that can carry pigeon Conditioner and also boilies etc, I do have a Korda skyraider spod, but that loses a bit of goodness on the cast, and I have tried spombs before, they are OK but don't always open and I have cracked one off once or twice 😁

Is the spider spod any good? Fox spod? Dot spod? Any others or is the spomb about as good as they get? I have tried a hooky spomb that doesn't open hardly ever 😁

My mate swears by the dot spod. I use the spomb and on the odd occasion it won't open just like on the odd occasion it will open as you cast it, but it's my preference.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, emmcee said:

My mate swears by the dot spod. I use the spomb and on the odd occasion it won't open just like on the odd occasion it will open as you cast it, but it's my preference.  

The fishing shop owner recommended the dot spod too, i might have a look at one cheers 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Golden Paws said:

I prefer spods to spombs as you can "lay them down gently" whereas spombs you have to make nose dive to open. I always plug the spod with groundbait dampened with hemp juice or use crumbed boilie.

I don't mind a spod tbh, I have just remembered I have a Gardner pocket rocket somewhere I may try that again before spending, its mainly a particle spod I need I can use a throwing stick for boilies 😁

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, dayvid said:

I have the air bomb ; first one broke but that was a known fault at the time ; the newer improved version works fine for me no problems at all , I really like it 

Do you mean the pro logic new one? I did only buy it during lockdown? 

Edited by elmoputney

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, dayvid said:

I have the air bomb ; first one broke but that was a known fault at the time ; the newer improved version works fine for me no problems at all , I really like it 

Thinking about it, it's probably quite easy just to make up a new leader for it 🤔 

Tfg sell one for 3.99 but want to charge 4.95 postage, I'm not going to do that, I have some old leaders or could make one will bodge one together can't be any worse 😁

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, elmoputney said:

Is the spider spod any good? Fox spod? Dot spod? Any others or is the spomb about as good as they get?

I've used them all buddy.

They all do a job but:

- The spider is imo a tiny bit too heavy so not great for big distances.

- The dot is a tiny bit too light so while it's great for heavy baits (boilies) it's awful for light stuff (pellet/maggot etc).

- The fox can be a pig to retrieve unless you get a specific technique dialled.

I keep going back to the good old spomb. You get good'n's and bad'n's but a good'n cannot be beaten imo.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, elmoputney said:

I don't mind a spod tbh, I have just remembered I have a Gardner pocket rocket somewhere I may try that again before spending, its mainly a particle spod I need I can use a throwing stick for boilies 😁

 

15 hours ago, Golden Paws said:

I prefer spods to spombs as you can "lay them down gently" whereas spombs you have to make nose dive to open. I always plug the spod with groundbait dampened with hemp juice or use crumbed boilie.

Spods do take longer to empty than Spombs, you have to let the spod 'drift' to be sure it has emptied, whereas the Spomb drops the load pretty much on impact.

 

Also load a Spomb with a scoop so you can keep bits out of the nose, but a spod can be catch and dunk into bucket.

Something else is, if you have a spod with tape over the holes, or no holes at all, you can add liquids in with your particles, whereas a Spomb that liquid drains.

 

15 hours ago, elmoputney said:

I don't mind a spod tbh, I have just remembered I have a Gardner pocket rocket somewhere I may try that again before spending, its mainly a particle spod I need I can use a throwing stick for boilies 😁

I do mix boilies into my particles and put them in together in the Spomb. The boilies sometimes even go in the day before I go fishing...

 

I have found though, that boilies for some reason tend to stick in a spod, they jam themselves in against each other.

 

I do use both the spod and the Spomb, although the Spomb does get the most use.

I have not had a bad Spomb, but I do tend to make sure I get the locking mechanism sorted, either tightening or loosening by turning the pin around in the nose.

@yonny, do you think the bad Spombs could be from bent or twisted stem to the swivel?

or is it from locking mechanism?

 

 

Oh, do make sure you add a Spomb float. I unpin it and have trimmed some pike deadbait poppers to fit in the tail inside rather than outside. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, salokcinnodrog said:

@yonny, do you think the bad Spombs could be from bent or twisted stem to the swivel?

or is it from locking mechanism?

It's the mechanism imo. Some of them seem to open too easy on the loose setting and not at all on the tight setting. I think the spomb could do with a precision spring but that's obviously not cost effective. If you know what you're looking for you can pick a decent one off the shelf.

The Dot can suffer too. After heavy use the arms on the lid/cap can bend very, very slightly which leads to it opening on the cast. The bend is so slight it's really tricky to spot (in fact I didn't realise what was going on with mine until someone pointed it out to me on here I think).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Airbomb hack Incoming 😳

Right fixed/enhanced the leader 🤔IMG_20200629_110905.thumb.jpg.b023e5c8942eb203ec5e19b30bbcb012.jpg

Basically I had an old lead free leader lying around, I've looped the airbomb ring onto one end the other end(marker swivel may also work for this if you didn't have the ring) I have added cork balls as a buffer, hopefully this will aid retrieval then done a good old fashioned granny knot to make sure they shouldn't come off 😁 I had to replace the standard swivel as it wouldnt easily go over the loop and I had a marker swivel handy, this will either work better or worse than the original swivel but can always change this if needed, saved me £15 buying another one so if it performs OK, job well done 👍👍👍💷😂

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, yonny said:

It's the mechanism imo. Some of them seem to open too easy on the loose setting and not at all on the tight setting. I think the spomb could do with a precision spring but that's obviously not cost effective. If you know what you're looking for you can pick a decent one off the shelf.

The Dot can suffer too. After heavy use the arms on the lid/cap can bend very, very slightly which leads to it opening on the cast. The bend is so slight it's really tricky to spot (in fact I didn't realise what was going on with mine until someone pointed it out to me on here I think).

In that case if it is the mechanism, my playing around after a couple of casts is why I don't get a bad one. May be that just juggling the mechanism to get a 'better fit' sorts it out.

I don't know why, but I do seem to have a number of springs from various things that have ended up in my tackle box, so if I have bent or broken a spring I can replace it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, salokcinnodrog said:

 

Spods do take longer to empty than Spombs, you have to let the spod 'drift' to be sure it has emptied, whereas the Spomb drops the load pretty much on impact.

 

Also load a Spomb with a scoop so you can keep bits out of the nose, but a spod can be catch and dunk into bucket.

Something else is, if you have a spod with tape over the holes, or no holes at all, you can add liquids in with your particles, whereas a Spomb that liquid drains.

 

I do mix boilies into my particles and put them in together in the Spomb. The boilies sometimes even go in the day before I go fishing...

 

I have found though, that boilies for some reason tend to stick in a spod, they jam themselves in against each other.

 

I do use both the spod and the Spomb, although the Spomb does get the most use.

I have not had a bad Spomb, but I do tend to make sure I get the locking mechanism sorted, either tightening or loosening by turning the pin around in the nose.

@yonny, do you think the bad Spombs could be from bent or twisted stem to the swivel?

or is it from locking mechanism?

 

 

Oh, do make sure you add a Spomb float. I unpin it and have trimmed some pike deadbait poppers to fit in the tail inside rather than outside. 

I always find boilies get stuck in spods can be very frustrating I tend to find sloppy mixes work best in spods otherwise something is always stuck 

I have a snide spomb I am going to take to work to see if I can't improve it, it does seem to be opening OK at the moment though 🤔

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...