Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Stuart Nicholls

Getting bites but not hooking?!

Can anybody give me some advice please, I went fishing last night and the fish was picking it up and running a little bit but before it was actually hooking in properly they was ejecting it on a lead clip set up with a D rig. And back lead aswell so I now it wasnt line bites, what I think is my hooks wasnt sharp enough and I was only using an ounce lead. I think I should of gone to 2.5 ounce lead, but it's just frustrating isn't it. Anybody got any suggestions for me, or am I right in what I'm thinking.

41 minutes ago, Stuart Nicholls said:

Can anybody give me some advice please, I went fishing last night and the fish was picking it up and running a little bit but before it was actually hooking in properly they was ejecting it on a lead clip set up with a D rig. And back lead aswell so I now it wasnt line bites, what I think is my hooks wasnt sharp enough and I was only using an ounce lead. I think I should of gone to 2.5 ounce lead, but it's just frustrating isn't it. Anybody got any suggestions for me, or am I right in what I'm thinking.

Welcome to Carp.com.

Your backlead could be part of the problem!

Get rid of the backleads, they slow down indication, create extra resistance and by the time you have heard the buzzer sound, the fish is gone.

Even worse is the light lead, on its own you may have hooked the fish, but with a backlead, as I see it, no chance, especially if your backlead is around the same weight.

There are other possibilities:

Fish swam through the line between the rod and the backlead. You could have had a fish trailing line and lead between the backlead and the end tackle.

You had proper takes, you didn't say whether you were using a pop-up or bottom bait, but because the hair, if a botton bait or snowman, was not long enough the fish was only lightly hooked and then the hook pulled, lengthen the hair.

Earlier indication at the buzzer may have given you a strikeable indication, again, ditch the backlead.